A rant and a "wrenching" question

assuming you can pick up a torx driver to fix this issue....
I had a used Nickent 4dx that did not come with a wrench.
I took the driver to Harbor freight and started trying out torx screwdriver until I found the one that fit.
Bought it for $1.99 and was happy...

As for Titleist....if your going to sell a piece of equipment where your biggest selling point is adjust-ability, then you need to provide the consumer with the means for that adjust-ability....

The problem with that fir me would be you don't know how much torque you are applying so could be easy to either strip the thread or not tighten it up enough.

I have the correct bits aswell but wouldn't use them on a club for the above reasons

The problem with that fir me would be you don't know how much torque you are applying so could be easy to either strip the thread or not tighten it up enough.

I have the correct bits aswell but wouldn't use them on a club for the above reasons

ahhh...good point.... I took the chance and am pretty sure my hand is calibrated to within 5 ft lbs of the torque wrench...:bashful:

What a horrible business practice. Shame on Titleist.

I would have told the dude where he could shove that fairway wood and if it was uncomfortable he could pay Titleist $35 to ship the wrench so he could adjust it. Titleist is just out of touch on this matter and so is that manager

I would have told the dude where he could shove that fairway wood and if it was uncomfortable he could pay Titleist $35 to ship the wrench so he could adjust it. Titleist is just out of touch on this matter and so is that manager

lol dude i about spit my drink out, Rep added

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and support on this issue and wanted to give you all an update. This community is truly a fantastic one and one I am thankful to be a part of (more on this a bit later).

After doing an internet search on Titleist and Taylormade wrenches, I found a variety of opinions as to whether they were truly interchangeable. Some believed that they were (same torx head and same torque settings) and others thought they were different torque specs. No one had any specs that they could quote from the OEMs other than the torque spec from TM.

That having been said, I wanted to pass along some examples of some truly generous and thoughtful members in this forum and express my gratitude. A some members kindly offered to send me an extra TM wrench they had (thanks for the offer Tadashi70, I really appreciate it but I already have a friend who offered to give me his extra one). One new member in particular really impressed me as he PM'd me after seeing this thread, and offered to send me a Titleist wrench at no charge whatsoever! This member goes by "Mouse" (name is Brock) and is a golf retailer in South Carolina. I called Brock at his shop (864) 281-7735 per his PM and he was great to talk to about this issue. He said that he was just browsing the boards and came upon my predicament, and out of the "goodness of his heart" (my words, not his), felt that he could do something to help out. He offered to send me a Titleist wrench (he said that he has used the TM wrench but he thought, based on feel, that the Titleist wrench may have a slightly different torque) so that I wouldn't run the possible risk of stripping the hosel screw. Brock did not know me from Adam (and I obviously did not buy the club from his shop), yet he went out of his way to help out. When I asked him to send me some information about his shop since I wanted to thank him publicly on the forum to give him and his shop some kudos and publicity, he basically said that it would be OK to do so, but he really was just trying to help out someone who was supporting the brick and mortars (as I stated in the OP). Brock really impressed me as one of the "good guys" and acts of kindness of this type (done without expectation of reward or recognition) are the "purest" kind, and just the type I try to instill in my young son. As I live in California, and Brock's shop is in South Carolina, he has no expectation that I will be walking into his brick and mortar anytime soon to buy any equipment, nevertheless, he is sending me a wrench because 1) he can and 2) he feels its the right thing to do (provide a wrench to customers so they can adjust their "adjustable" clubs). I will get the wrench in about a week and will keep everyone posted at that time. Hopefully, some of you in the Southeast may find occasion to patronize his store, he really seems to be a good guy.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for your kind offers and information. Whenever I have been in need of some information or advice, I have always gotten great support from the members.

Back