Trying to Break 80 Club

I broke 80 5 times last season and exactly 80 5 times. Hoping to improve my GIRs this year with a goal to double that number to 10 sub 80 rounds this year.

Back to my usual struggles, but it is winter golf. Windy rounds over the weekend made for 2 and even 3 club differences depending on wind direction. I had 5 birdie puts over 2 rounds and made 1. 85 Saturday, 91 Sunday. I am hoping my putting woes are more due to the sanded and punched greens but putts 12 feet and in are giving me fits. Most are missing by 6 inches or more even when they start on line. Something to work on while I wait for the grass to start growing

41/38 today. Made a six footer, downhill for par on 18.

A better weekend. Kept the ball in play and avoided the penalties; 82 Saturday, 77 Sunday. Funny how I shot a lower score with no birdies on Sunday...

First 2 rounds of the year I've gone 84/84. In both rounds, I've had a couple of blow-up holes that kept me from breaking through this plateau, and a couple of holes that course management/planning would have done me good. Taking notes here, at some point this year I will see a score that starts with 7.

Shot 39/39 on Sunday. I had 2 birdies on the front and an eagle and birdie on the back. I guess you could say my round was up and down, but I hadn’t swung a club in a month.

My last score sub 80 was a 79 on Feb 28th. Hoping for more like it. Need professional help however. Had it not been for a good putter and really good wedge play Sunday afternoons 83 could have been a 90

Quick 9 holes last night and I'm showing a bit more promise. My play from tee to green has been really solid so far this year, I just need the putter to catch up to the rest of the game.

Strangely, I’m back in the mid-high 80’s. There’s two holes on our course that are card wreckers for me, yet there’s nothing that difficult about them. Straight par fours with fairly easily avoided hazards, unless you’re me! 6’s and 7’s at these two holes are bursting my card.

Need to get them out of my head.

I’ve seen me birdie the harder opening hole and follow it up with a 7 on the shorter downhill second!

Absolutely criminal.

41/38 yesterday 😜

even thru 15 on the back nine then bogey, bogey … had to grind out an up and down from over a back pin on 18.

This is exactly what happened last time. When I occasionally break 80 it’s by the skin of my teeth.

good weekend play:
Saturday 39/39
Sunday 39/42

41/38 yesterday

even thru 15 on the back nine then bogey, bogey … had to grind out an up and down from over a back pin on 18.

This is exactly what happened last time. When I occasionally break 80 it’s by the skin of my teeth.

I was 39/43! Blew up on 3 holes, ridiculous double bogey on the 4th and an horrendous 7 with an OOB tee shot on the 11th. 12th was a poor tee shot and a poor 3w to recover, duffed chip and then chaos. Rallied the rest of the round though so thinking positive, had I not hit such a honking tee shot on the 11th and 12th, I’d have been well in range.

I've only broken 80 twice this year in 50+ rounds. It all comes down to the short game (chipping and putting). I play from 6250 yards and there are several holes on our course I cannot reach in two shots. I could move up a set of tees, but I'm in a weird situation with my regular group. Our handicaps are all around 12 from the tees we play. If I move up my hdcp goes to 10. Two of the guys outdrive me by thirty to fifty yards and moving up means I have to give them strokes on the longest holes. It's kind of a no win situation at the moment.
Anyway, I plan to work hard on my short game and try to turn those 83s into 78s.

I've only broken 80 twice this year in 50+ rounds. It all comes down to the short game (chipping and putting). I play from 6250 yards and there are several holes on our course I cannot reach in two shots. I could move up a set of tees, but I'm in a weird situation with my regular group. Our handicaps are all around 12 from the tees we play. If I move up my hdcp goes to 10. Two of the guys outdrive me by thirty to fifty yards and moving up means I have to give them strokes on the longest holes. It's kind of a no win situation at the moment.
Anyway, I plan to work hard on my short game and try to turn those 83s into 78s.
It sounds like your current tees are still fine if you are matching long hitter's HC but have a different game. Being solid if not deadly with longer clubs is a great skill, then add a good short game and you are in a good spot for...ever, really. Long par 4's can be a bear to overcome but capitalize on other holes where possible. It sounds like you will add to your sub 80 collection soon

I added another sub 80 round over the weekend. My putting was not an asset but was at least ok. I need to work on speed control. I left way too many putts short from 10-20 feet. No birdies on the day, 6 bogies, 12 GIRs. Some of the best golf I have ever played but no putts dropped. I ma happy with my ball striking but have some more work to do.

It sounds like your current tees are still fine if you are matching long hitter's HC but have a different game. Being solid if not deadly with longer clubs is a great skill, then add a good short game and you are in a good spot for...ever, really. Long par 4's can be a bear to overcome but capitalize on other holes where possible. It sounds like you will add to your sub 80 collection soon
Thanks for the encouraging words. I've had a lot of 38s and 39s on our front nine only to finish with 42 to 44. I think I just need to forget about my score and focus on the old "one shot at a time" method. It always seems to work.

Breaking 80 is my goal this year. My PB last year was a 78, at a course that I played often.... so why break 80?

I want to break 80 at a course that I don't play frequently. I dont care where it is, when it is, or how I do it lol.

For reference, at the other courses I play, I believe the PB is an 82... so I am close, but how close?

This season's start has been rough, going 91/91/90/91 to open. Fighting my game everywhere, the pressure of Grandaddy prep probably making me squeeze things too tight.

Breaking 80 is my goal this year. My PB last year was a 78, at a course that I played often.... so why break 80?

I want to break 80 at a course that I don't play frequently. I dont care where it is, when it is, or how I do it lol.

For reference, at the other courses I play, I believe the PB is an 82... so I am close, but how close?

This season's start has been rough, going 91/91/90/91 to open. Fighting my game everywhere, the pressure of Grandaddy prep probably making me squeeze things too tight.
Your probably closer than you think 👊.

Your probably closer than you think 👊.
I figure I have been close, just time away from golf in spurts hurts me a lot. Hard to play well with little repetition, and constantly losing feel inside 100.

I figure I have been close, just time away from golf in spurts hurts me a lot. Hard to play well with little repetition, and constantly losing feel inside 100.
It's pretty interesting how a couple of different decisions can turn a round in the 90s into one in the 80s or better quickly. You'll get there this year, and there's lots of time to prep before December!

Shots inside 100 yards are very tough. Planning to get up and down from that distance is still just a dream. Given a par 3 from 100 yards and bogie is still not fully out of the equation. I think the next step once you can find the green is to focus on hitting the correct side of the green; being below the hole, missing where there is more green to hit, etc.

Shooting an 82 on an unfamiliar course is a feat. You are playing good golf!

I broke 80 5 times last season and exactly 80 5 times. Hoping to improve my GIRs this year with a goal to double that number to 10 sub 80 rounds this year.
So far I’ve got 6 sub 80 rounds this year and 5 rounds at 80. Playing my best golf ever and index has dropped to 7.0 from 10.4 at the beginning of the year. I believe I’ll reach my goal of 10 sub 80 rounds.

11 GIRs and a 43% up and down percentage lead me to my best score this year. The driver was bad but the short game let me shoot a 37 (+1) on the front, 76 (+4) total. A chip in birdie helped. 1 putt left short (slick down hill breaker) and all chips made it to the hole or past. The short game is shaping up!

I had a chance today, the course I played has back to back par 3s, one playing 155 yards today and one playing 101 yards.

Put both shots inside 15 feet, but didn’t drop the putt. If one of those two goes in, I’m looking at a 79.

Haven’t broken 80 this year yet, but after a few years off, I’m happy where my game is and think I’ll break 80 soon.

Shot a +1 for 9 holes yesterday playing from the forward tees with one of the beginner groups that J asked me to take out for her usual monthly event she organises

Trickiest part about yesterday was judging the wind as it was blowing fairly well all day

Back