julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
I have something I've been meaning to ask opinions on...

When you notice being watched - for instance, by the group behind you or at the range - how do you play? Better? Worse? Thoughts on this either way?

It freaks me out being watched (I get really anxious), but I end up actually doing better, almost always. I have absolutely no idea why this is, or how I can replicate the feeling!

If it freaks you out being watched, you must be terrified of Harry.

On a serious note, it used to freak me out playing in a crowd, but I got over it. I did it by having someone come to the range and film me with a video camera. It made it so much easier to then have a total stranger looking at me.

JB - LMAO

When I first started playing, it bothered me to have people watching. First tee was almost always a disaster. It would really bother me when people had to wait on us because you just KNEW they were watching you. But the more I played the more I saw that these jokers for the most part weren't much better than I was. You notice that as you go around the course and see others hitting (or, trying to hit) the ball.

Nowadays I may not hit it perfect off the tee at #1 but most of the time it's in the fairway or just into the rough because I'll usually drop down a club to get off to a better start. And now, people coming up behind me doesn't bother me, one, because I know them watching isn't going to bother me, but two, because I know I am not the one holding them up. If someone comes up from behind it's because the course is slow in front of me, not because I am playing slow.

Well Llulie, I've seen pictures so I know why they are staring at you, hehe.

But seriously, I play with a guy that has such a complex about people watching him play. He will even let groups behind us through even if we aren't holding them up. Personally it doesn't bother me when people are watching me play. A few years ago I went through a faze of showing up solo and randomly getting paired with people and I think that took away an problems that I may have had.

I will say this though...yesterday I got paired up with two guys and I was playing terrible and I heard a guy on the tee box on a par three(I was off the green chipping) say: "Man I thought I was bad". For a second it made me feel like a hack, but I just brushed it off and kept doing my thing.

I think being female in a male-dominated sport makes this harder. You feel like they're judging you, all waiting to pounce because you dared intrude on their territory.

I've found two things help. First, watch the other golfers. Boy, are some of them truly lousy!

Second, at the range, I usually have a specific drill I'm working on. Right now, it's one-handed pitching and short shots with my arms straight. So unless I totally shank it, no one is going to pay me any attention; I don't even get gratuitious advice. By the time I work my way up to a full swing, I'm loose and beyond caring what the others think.

I think being female in a male-dominated sport makes this harder. You feel like they're judging you, all waiting to pounce because you dared intrude on their territory.

I think there are just a group of people on every course that think they are better than everyone, and they judge everyone. Most people think that because I look like Charlie Hoffman that I am some hack and it's my first time on a golf course. I learned a long time ago not to give a flying frogs fat ass what people may perceive of me.

Craig,
Your hair is longer than Hoffman's isnt it?

If the guy won't cut his hair, he should at least learn about conditioner. And some conditioning below his shoulders as well (from what little I could see).

Fear the mullet!

Some days it bugs me, others it doesn't. It depends on how I'm feeling, and who I'm playing with. I've got some buddies that will rag you if you make a good shot, a bad one just brings out the jokes and insults.

I have something I've been meaning to ask opinions on...

When you notice being watched . . .

It freaks me out being watched . . .

:hypnotized::desire::cyclops::glasses-nerdy::eek::bulgy-eyes:

When people watch me play, I always play much better. I tend to perform better under pressure

Sometimes I play better when I have strangers watching me, sometimes I don't. There doesn't seem to be any set recipe to my degree of disaster. I just try to tune out. Plus I'm used to only playing with guys, so maybe that helps. No one could make more fun of me than Brad already does! :banana:

Sometimes I play better when I have strangers watching me, sometimes I don't. There doesn't seem to be any set recipe to my degree of disaster. I just try to tune out. Plus I'm used to only playing with guys, so maybe that helps. No one could make more fun of me than Brad already does! :banana:

Fiona, when he gets really bad, just remember this simple questions: "Gee, have you always had the funny hitch at the top of your backswing?" :angel:

It doesn't bother me very much if I am watched by strangers. But we have this one couple, friends of ours, and have played with them from the start of my golf days. I just wasn't any good at all.

Mikey got me private lessons for a Valentines present and they really helped. Went to the driving range to get some practice twice a week and now I feel really better about my game. And actually have rounds I am proud of - but when this couple joins us.........my game is soooo off and I just have the worst game.

Hence, I don't invite them very much anymore :(

Me thinks she doth protesteth too much!!

I get so nervous I almost throw up. But I do alot better. Especially bombing those drives straight down the middle.

Dent,
Just remember the winningest basketball of all time Bill Russell threw up before almost every game. And he won 11 championships in 13 years in the league.

We got into local swanky club earlier this year. First tee box is right in front of the patio. So--first round, first tee shot, and I'm shaking. I do not do well with an audience.

Somehow, I bombed that drive, further than my partners. Bogeyed the hole. I was thrilled. :banana: Just don't ask about the rest of the round. :bad:

Dent,
Just remember the winningest basketball of all time Bill Russell threw up before almost every game. And he won 11 championships in 13 years in the league.

Barry Manilow, too - before every show. I always remember that those few times I get some stagefright.

Dent,

Barry Manilow, too - before every show. I always remember that those few times I get some stagefright.

jeez guys, thanks for the very... detailed facts.

Thats crazy, I don't think I'd be that bad. It's when the nervousness wears off, then I fall apart.

Back