Are Flop Shots part of your game?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Yay or nay? Is a flop shot a reliable part of your game? Im talking about short distance, send it up high and drop it straight down on your target? You pulling it off or blading one across the green like me?

Other than a fluffy lie, I don't have the shot in the bag off a regular lie. Wish I did, but its not something I rely on or at this point, even practice.

If they need to be, it’s not something I go to unless I need to and then at that point, it’s about one in four that I’m gonna blade it across the green and into a hazard.

I can do it, but I try to avoid it whenever I can.

I've hit a few nice ones off of really tight lies with the cleveland fullface.
I would not try the same shots unless a very fluffy lie with the PM grind.

I have been known to execute a flop shot a time or 2 when needed.

No. It has to be the only shot available for me and a shot needed to win a match to even try it (and then i'm still likely blading it to the point of being unfindable)

probably too big a part of my game, but I'm more comfortable throwing the ball high and landing it close than I am with a pitch and run type shot.

I can do it, but I try to avoid it whenever I can.

I've hit a few nice ones off of really tight lies with the cleveland fullface.
I would not try the same shorts unless a very fluffy lie with the PM grind.
Wish I could, but it's just not in the repertoire. Even thinking about trying one off a tight lies gives me nightmares.

I only hit a flop shot when my goal is to actually hit a "piss missile" across the green.

I can play the flop, but will only do so when that is the only option. IMO, the flop is such a low percentage play so if there is another option it should be taken.

Wish I could, but it's just not in the repertoire. Even thinking about trying one off a tight lies gives me nightmares.
You reallly have to trust the wedge/grind on something like that

Flop shots are a bit like punching the ball under a tree limb, it's part of my game when it has to be.

A very small part. Not something I try to do often

It all just depends on where I am. My home course there are only certain places it is necessary.

It’s in my toolbox. I don’t reach for it often, but it’s around. One of my best all time shots was a flop. 40+ ft high and maybe about 15 yards. I was basically at the base of a mountain and it was the only way to get it on the green without going backwards first. But I’ll take a standard chip or pitch if it’s available.

Not generally going to try that unless really needed.

Yes they are an integral part of the game that has to be in the arsenal of shots. That shot has saved me a stroke or a hundred over the years. I fancy myself a pretty good executor of that shot as well ;)

Yea it's in my game. It's not a logical play in 90% of situations though.

Yes but it used often, I do work on the flop when at the green from different lies.

I kind of have one. We have a lot of raised greens and I'm often just shy of the green so I need to lob it up and down.

Accuracy isn't great but the execution isn't as bad as one would think.

Yes, I lob shots are part of my game. My miss blades it to the other side of the green, on the fringe, so I get to try it again!
Shots out of the rough are supposed to be rough, so I expect to make some misses.

Back