How many rounds to determine if forgiveness if working for you?

Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Had an interesting chat with @hedley_lamarr08 the other day about how many rounds it would take to see how much forgiveness in clubs are noticeable. Whether it's comparing GI irons to players cavities, or even just iron set to iron set. What sample size do you think you really need to notice it?

Edit: And maybe more pointedly, when do you know it is helping your scores/performance, not just that you like them and they mesh well?

Last edited:
I feel like it's between 3 and 5. There have been a few irons sets that I did not like the first round. 2nd round was some good, some bad. But then somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round, I knew whether they could stick long-term. You've put them through enough on course situations to know what you can or cant do with them.

It really depends on the type of forgiveness one would be looking to see.

Me, speaking specifically to irons and my miss being on the toe, the feedback is pretty instant. When I first put the Aerojet irons in to play, I would miss and feel it significantly out on the toe, but see results were not as drastic as me previous iron set. That feedback came with the first few swings, the first time putting them in play.

I miss a lot! I usually know in the first round if a club will be any help to me or not.

Edit: having only 5 swinging clubs gives me a lot more feedback with a club in that single round than most would get.

I feel like it's between 3 and 5. There have been a few irons sets that I did not like the first round. 2nd round was some good, some bad. But then somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round, I knew whether they could stick long-term. You've put them through enough on course situations to know what you can or cant do with them.
Is there a difference between liking and performance benefits though? (although I'll concede those go hand in hand to a degree)

Me, speaking specifically to irons and my miss being on the toe, the feedback is pretty instant. When I first put the Aerojet irons in to play, I would miss and feel it significantly out on the toe, but see results were not as drastic as me previous iron set. That feedback came with the first few swings, the first time putting them in play.
really hope darkspeed is the same, really interested in an iron like that

how long till you see the actual performance benefits though?

I think it depends if your miss is consistent, do you miss in the same spot all the time. If that’s the case you can gage forgiveness quickly.

I feel like 3 is a good number. One or two could just be an extraordinarily good/bad day swinging. Once you get to 3 you’ve seen enough to know

how long till you see the actual performance benefits though?
In this case, it was noticed my first round with them. Although, I had been playing my irons pretty well, the forgiveness seen in the Aerojet irons was far more beneficial than what I had seen with my previous set. I would have to go back in the AJ iron thread, but I believe my actual quote after my first round was "it was my best iron striking day of the year."

And I missed off the toe, a ton, and it was not nearly as penalizing as my previous irons.

I think it depends if your miss is consistent, do miss in the same spot all the time. If that’s the case you can gage forgiveness quickly.
This. Absolutely nailed it. My miss with my irons is the same, every time, out on the toe. Get forgiveness for that, and it was instant gratification with new irons.

In this case, it was noticed my first round with them. Although, I had been playing my irons pretty well, the forgiveness seen in the Aerojet irons was far more beneficial than what I had seen with my previous set. I would have to go back in the AJ iron thread, but I believe my actual quote after my first round was "it was my best iron striking day of the year."

And I missed off the toe, a ton, and it was not nearly as penalizing as my previous irons.
Now I'm curious, how much older was the old set? As I think jumping multiple generations would be easier to see compare to say next year's line

It would only be a couple of rounds for me. If I don't feel good with a club on the first round I generally figure it isn't a good fit for me. While I am working to improve my swing overall I don't want to have to adjust it to fit new clubs I buy.

Now I'm curious, how much older was the old set? As I think jumping multiple generations would be easier to see compare to say next year's line
That's the fun part, both are Cobra irons and one length.

I was playing the King F7 irons from 2017-2018. So, 5 years old.

Similar irons, just 5 years of improvement.

3-5 round is a good measure.
Range balls prove nothing.
I find the "forgiveness" aspect to be mostly directional, distance less so.
Paradym driver: very forgiving, but shorter than my Rogue ST LS. I hit roughly the same # fairways with both.
ZX5 MKII irons : Directionally very forgiving, distance not so much. My OG Forged Tec Black were more forgivig over all.

Last edited:
I used to believe that I could discern a good fit almost immediately. However, with my recent set of Titleist irons, it took 7 or 8 rounds before I really started to experience what I was hoping for. Furthermore, it was 8 or 10 rounds in before I finally began hitting the 6 iron well and now I absolutely love that club.

That's the fun part, both are Cobra irons and one length.

I was playing the King F7 irons from 2017-2018. So, 5 years old.

Similar irons, just 5 years of improvement.
this is why when and if Cobra refreshed the forged tec line I am very interested as I have the 2020 version

I think it depends if your miss is consistent, do you miss in the same spot all the time. If that’s the case you can gage forgiveness quickly.
I think that's a good way to say it. If it's consistent, probably only a couple rounds. If you're already all over the place it might take longer because you wouldn't be able to see it as readily.

All of that being said, moving from a starter set to a forgiving set of the T300's it was absolutely instant. Better forgiveness, better distance, less miss of a miss.

One round or about 25-30 shots in a sim.

this is why when and if Cobra refreshed the forged tec line I am very interested as I have the 2020 version
I would imagine the improvements from 2020 to now would be significant, just as I have seen with the change I made.

I would say 4-5 rounds. Figure 1-2 rounds to get used to the new club(s) and then 2-3 more to see if there is any consistency

it usually takes me 3-4 rounds a a huge bucket of balls to get used to a new set of clubs so probably several rounds after that.

That's a good question. I don't know. I need time to adjust to any new irons, maybe a few weeks. After that, the question about whether more forgiving irons improves scoring, for me, is an experiment I hope to explore in 2024. I also feel like "players" irons have gotten so much more forgiving. I think the outcome will nuanced and subtle. TBD.

That is a good question! My guess is within 2-3 rounds you will know if it is working for you.

Back