What to do in the winter.

Sir Shanksalot

GET IN THE HOLE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I'd like to kick off this forum with a question about what others do to try to stay in form over the winter. Unfortunately, I'm in the NE and we just had our first snow fall (way early). Any indoor drills? Backyard drills? Equipment?
Thanks.

Wii Golf...Just kidding.
In all seriousness, I just worked on putting. Unless you want to spend a good amount on an About Golf Launch Monitor.
Or move to FL. We played today.

I would love to move to a warmer climate but I think I need a better reason for my wife than to play more golf. Maybe I'll complain about my allergies....

Gary,
I just kept saying that if we moved back, I would complain less. It worked and I do complain less.

I hit at our indoor dome, but I mostly work on my short game, putting, chipping, pitching, and other specialty shots.

Speaking of moving to a warmer climate - - - we're working on a move to the East Bay area in California (East of Oakland, past the mountain). All I need to do is find a Safety Director job out there, my wife will just go back to work for her old boss, so it's all on me. No luck yet though, but it's a lot better knowing I don't HAVE to find a job.

If we stay in Kansas though, it's just play whenever you get a chance, some days it's just no way but there are those 60 to 70 degree days that show up once in a while.

Welcome chapps. Head over to the check in desk and introduce yourself to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go hunting between now and New Years. We have a short winter here, so I can play most of the winter.

I can go to the range, even if it's really darn cold, they've got some really effective radiant heaters.

I can practice putting at the office. We've got a cup that we can move around the halls to get different breaks.

One of the local cigar shops just put in a golf simulator, and you can play any number of courses (200 or so as of now) to play for $40. How can you beat sitting in a nice warm environment with your favorite drink, a tasty cigar and play golf, even when the weather sucks?

Indoor putting is on the agenda for me this year. Plus range work in bearable weather.

Mostly, we're in the "take a break" crowd. Ski season starts up. The real problem is that gap between the end of February and the beginning of real golf.

Living where we do let's us golf year round :banana: so I guess I will be golfing :snicker::snicker:

But I will also be watching a lot of hockey on tv.

I'll be working on my putting and playing when it is nice enough. I am hoping to get to Florida some time over the winter, also talking about going to Austin for a few days.

Living where we do let's us golf year round :banana: so I guess I will be golfing :snicker::snicker:

But I will also be watching a lot of hockey on tv.

It really seems weird that a Canadian can golf year round.. We are only a few provinces over and can not do that. :bad:

I would love to move to a warmer climate but I think I need a better reason for my wife than to play more golf. Maybe I'll complain about my allergies....

... or maybe cash in some frequent flyer miles & head to Australia for a golfing holiday??

So, do you buy one of those cheap indoor putting mats...or...?
I plan to hit a dome about 45 minutes away once a week, get out and walk a few holes if the snow isn't flying...and oh yeah, going to FLorida in December for a week!
Years ago before I stopped playing there were lots of those indoor simulators in bars, etc, now I think there is only one around. Why did they die down? I used to love them for what they were.

One year, Hubby and I did indoor winter golf lessons in the high school gym. Bring your own mat and whiffle balls; hit into the (collapsed) bleachers. It was a giggle, but not much more than that. Now my daughter can hit whiffle golf balls in the front yard.

finally!... my local range is in the process of building heated, covered bays that will be open ALL year

I'll be stripping white balls into a light grey sky, watching them land on a white surface!

haha, this should be interesting

So, do you buy one of those cheap indoor putting mats...or...?
I plan to hit a dome about 45 minutes away once a week, get out and walk a few holes if the snow isn't flying...and oh yeah, going to FLorida in December for a week!
Years ago before I stopped playing there were lots of those indoor simulators in bars, etc, now I think there is only one around. Why did they die down? I used to love them for what they were.

when you go to FLA can you shove me in your luggage? please

I only got through 5 holes today before it was to dark to play, so sad

ya it tends to get dark quickly in tennessee now too. but over winter i keep trooping and play on as much of a normal year round schedule as possible. i also do a lot of excercise though like running, lifting, core, and stretching during the winter that i dont do during the season

when you go to FLA can you shove me in your luggage? please

I only got through 5 holes today before it was to dark to play, so sad
Ha, maybe!
Now with the time change, I doubt I'll be able to get my usual quick 9 in after work. Was dark today at 6, ugh.

Talk about a small world...Brad and I live in the same city Down Under...we play golf all year round although it can get hot from Nov. to Feb.

I have a big basement, thinking about setting up a small practice area for putting, chipping. Any sites or suggestions for doing so guys?

Harry is our resident basement expert!
490.gif

No suggestions, but if you do this, I hope you post some pics so WE can get some ideas!

One of the local cigar shops just put in a golf simulator, and you can play any number of courses (200 or so as of now) to play for $40. How can you beat sitting in a nice warm environment with your favorite drink, a tasty cigar and play golf, even when the weather sucks?

That is awesome!!!

I definitely don't play as much, but I still try to get out once or twice a month. This only lasts for about 3 months then I can usually get out every week.

Back