Firing at flags - What a difference when the option is not there

I think you have to be selective when attacking pins. If I've got a wedge I go for it, otherwise I try to assess how bad a miss will be if I go for the green, then I decide. If the pin isn't too hard to get to, I'll usually go for it.

For me it all depends what is around the green. There are 3 shots you can take when going for a green: a draw, a fade, and a straight shot. Depending on the length of the shot/hazards around the gree/size of the green I will play whatever I think is the safest shot that will still leave me with a good chance at birdie. I love to head hunt pins but sometimes that can lead to disaster.

I start many a round with a plan to shoot for the center of the green. The plan usually lasts until the third hole (if I try really hard).

Those are impressive GIR numbers. But I can completely see the logic behind it. Problem is that we all want that 5 foot birdie putt instead of the 25 footer.

That really sums it up! but I want a 2 foot putt, not a 5 foot or 25 foot.
On par 3's I go for the flag... everything else the flag is just a reference point, and since I am pretty much eye balling distances, go for the flag... cause the hole is right around there. I'm not saying that if I see water all over an the flag at the bottom of a slope 2 feet from water I'm going at the flag, but if it's not a punishing spot I'm going for it, and what ever happens happens.

I'm usually aiming at the center, but I will keep in mind which direction I want to miss. If I'm sitting at 155, and the pins in front, I pull my 150 club, or my 160 if its in the back. Or if I'm fading the ball a bit that day, and the pin is on the left. I go right for it, that way straight shot hits the pin, but if I fade it I'm still center.

Short game is where I take chances. If anything shooting for the center should be done at the tee. I could probably shoot similar scores with only my 6 iron being the longest club in the bag.

I would agree, but I also think that you being a 1.5 HDCP would be another reason you hit so many greens.

This is a very valid point here, One-T.

This is a very valid point here, One-T.

Not really. I am typically a 10-12 GIR player. My handicap has dropped to this level from hitting a few more putts and from my chipping game which I worked on all winter. Where I would truggle to make bogey on those 6-8 missed greens, I'm now getting it up and in more frequently. Add that to hitting a bomb here or there, the handicap drops. I made a concious effort this year to play the swing I have. Over the past few years, I would start tinkering and by the middle of the year, my swing was a mess. Short game/putting is where I am starting to score now.

Not really. I am typically a 10-12 GIR player. My handicap has dropped to this level from hitting a few more putts and from my chipping game which I worked on all winter. Where I would truggle to make bogey on those 6-8 missed greens, I'm now getting it up and in more frequently. Add that to hitting a bomb here or there, the handicap drops. I made a concious effort this year to play the swing I have. Over the past few years, I would start tinkering and by the middle of the year, my swing was a mess. Short game/putting is where I am starting to score now.

I'd say that since the Tour average is 64%, 10-12 GIR is an excellent amount, especially for an amateur.

I had to go do a double check. For 37 Rounds, I am averaging 9.9 GIR's/round. 55%.(4 of these rounds are combined). I have had 26 rounds with 10 or more GIR's. I guess I really need to really improve my putting/chipping with an 77.9 scoring average. Ughhh

I agree with the OP in that in general, most of us mere mortal golfers will score better if we ignore the pin and shoot for the middle of the green. I would say that is even true for wedge play too. Sure, I'm more likely to hit my lob wedge close to the hole, but if the hole is 3 paces beyond a bunker, I'm as likely to end up in the bunker as 3 paces past the hole.

But I also agree with Belbs.... there are 2 nice courses near me that I play, and they both have several nasty 2 or even 3 tier greens. If you don't end up on the right level, you're more likely to 3 putt than to 2 putt. In those cases, you have to narrow your focus a little. But sucker pins are the bane of myself and many other golfers. I've gotten away from flag hunting this year, and my handicap is dropping. Probably not a coincidence.

If I have a wedge in my hands and if it's not a hooser pin, I'll have a go. If we're farther then that, I'm looking for the middleish of the green as well as long as there aren't nasty tiers or ridges. If there there are tiers that are gross, I'd rather miss the green and be in the rough/fringe on the side closest to the pin if that bail out is an option. I'd rather be hitting a putt or chip from the fringe 10 feet off the green then have a 30-40 foot putt with three tiers to navigate. I know I won't make that putt but I have a chance with the fringe chip/putt.

My problem is that I forget all of this when I have a sucky tee shot. Then I feel like I'm trying to play catch up on the hole and need to go after the flag to save par. It never ends well and it happens a couple times around where I do it for no reason.

but if the hole is 3 paces beyond a bunker, I'm as likely to end up in the bunker as 3 paces past the hole.QUOTE]

I think this where I am gojng with this. My last round I had two shots within 100yds to pins that were up-front. Was off a little on both shots, (one shot was short and the other was pulled right). I ended up bogeying both holes (having to flop over a bunker on the short shot and hitting from some nasty rough on the shot pulled right). My thoguht process is that if I take an extra club that gets me to the middle of the green, worst case, I have a 25-50'er for birdie instead of trying to scramble for par.
Am I going to 3 putt a couple holes, maybe, but I bet the percentage of getting down in two putts is much higher than getting down in two from off the green.

I'd say that since the Tour average is 64%, 10-12 GIR is an excellent amount, especially for an amateur.

I assume you account for the fact that tour courses are more difficult. Tour players also fire at more pins because they have the short game to back it up and therefore miss a few greens but are still close to the pin.

Unless I'm teeing off on a shorter par 3 hole or under 50 yards, I just aim for the green and do my best to get it there. When we're talking less than 50 yards or so I really try to go for the pin. That being said, on the green is still a victory in my book. I've really been focusing on my putting and short game this year and my goal has been to be able to get on the green and then 2 putt or less. A lot of my struggles this year have been off the tee with the driver and the 2nd shot on longer holes.

I hear that. This year, when I stay out of trouble off the tee, it's a low round. When my tee shots are wild, my score is back up in the high 90s.

Ah, thank you for the baseline. It goes to show you that handicap index doesn't tell the whole story. I admit, seeing your low handicap, I also assumed you hit a lot of greens in the first place. Your comments regarding short game practice resonate strongly with me. That is, it's definitely paying dividends for you, and would for any golfer out there.

Now, to be on-topic to the post - like some have said here, I only go after flags in a few situations. Short range (125-130 and in) and unguarded flags with no penalizing hazards. Anything longer or guarded and I play it as safe as I can. This tactic has really helped my game this year. As I build confidence, my ball-striking is improving, and I might be able to go after a few more flags in the near future!

This is one of many aspects of the golf game that I keep meaning to test out. I've had success with others: 1) taking less than driver on shorter holes and 2) laying up on all par 5's.

i think the most greens ive ever hit was around 10 in a round and it didnt really mean anything
my chances of making a par or better when i miss the green but am close to the hole are better than when i hit the green but have a 40ft+ putt that i usually 4 putt
so i always go for the flag unless bunkers/water increases the risk of blowing up

Back