Irons and Wedges... Got Blueprinted

Nicklausfan

Reaction score
Recently I wrapped up my competitve golf season and all in all it was an okay year. Horrible year scoring but the amount of things I learned was ridiculous. I'm real happy and continue to work...mostly 70 and in. My last tournament started to show fruits of my labour playing in that scenario with me leading the field in fairways hit (11/13) at 84.6%, 6th in driving distance. Had it not been for inconsistent irons and a disturbing short game I would have been in the money.

The other day I was talking to my coach and I told him that I thought my irons and wedges were on the light side. I figured that they were around a D2 where in the past I was D4. I had problems with consistent tempo all season and I thought that had to do with no feel in the clubhead. Really, I should have done this sooner but I didn't... no excuse. So we made plans to meet with his fitter on Thursday. So we went through a few things and started to go through the clubs...testing their frequency, looking for oscillation and swingweght. Later lofts and lie angles were checked. The first club... my 4 iron was a D3. After that all hell broke loose and club after club it was barely a D2 with my 7 iron being D1. My wedges were D4. The average was "almost" D2. So we added grams of lead powder down the shaft to improve the weight and brought everything to a uniform D5... perfect. My wedges were brought to D6 in the 53* and D9 in my 58*.

As mentioned we checked the lie angles seeing that I've had issues with balls starting out to the right of target and then sort of overdrawing (see snap) left... and there have been issues with toe hits... especially with 7 iron. It truned out that the lie angles were out of whack with the 7 iron having to be adjusted 3* upright. I went on the lie board and they were spot on.

The next morning came and I felt like a kid at Christmas. I went to the course and hit the range. Straight shots and y tempo was stellar. So I took it to the course and played 18. I had some adjusting to do due to the new tempo (the front nine) but all I did was hit straight controlled shots. I might be a club shorter with my new tempo but the control is there. Once I dial in my distances everything will be all good. Also, my sand game, pitching, lobs, and chipping is suddenly good and I have feel. Come on 2012.

Alex

Good to hear! Happy to see that you're game's feeling good!

What is D_ By the way? is that a measurement of swing weight, torque, or what? Thanks.

Very cool man, sounds like an awesome experience. Keep us posted about how you do next season. I'm not exactly sure how D_ is measured either, but I've never heard of D9. Sounds heavy.

It's part of the scale for mmeasuring swingweight. It goes sort of alphabetical where the letter C is lighter than a D. Then the number sort of represents the grams in that swingweight range from 0-9. I admit that this is sort of a messed up explanation and in all likelihood doesnèt help. Moe Norman used to swing a mallet... in his driver it's been said that he used an E-7.

The D-9 is on the heavy but the feel in the head is tremendous. I'll definitely keep you guys updated next season.

Alex

Thanks a lot!

Back