How Soon to Go Back to My Golf Instructor?

portman

Reaction score
Handicap
I completed a series of 6 private lessons a couple of months ago.
After that I was shooting pretty consistently in the low 90's.
But lately my scores have been going up to the high 90's.
Last week I caught the cold - couple with a weakened body I shot a 104. My swings are either severely pulled to left or slicing severely right. In another word - no consistency whatsoever.
I waited for my cold to cure itself and went to the range yesterday.
I started out slicing the irons and gradually recovered to about 75% straight shots.
My question is - is it time for me to go back to lessons or should I work on it for a little longer?
Lessons are obviously more expensive than going to ranges. But if it helps to bring me back to a better playing state I will do it.
Your advice please? Thanks.

I would say continue working on the things he helped you with. Try one thing at a time and try not to make things to complex. If you can work through things on your own it will teach you about the golf swing and how to make adjustments as needed. I would say if you continue to struggle then maybe set up a lesson.

Depends on what you are comfortable shooting, if you are happy in the 90's then you could probably spend some extra time on the range going over the drills youbgot from your first lessons and be fine. Now if you want to get better, then maybe it's time for more lessons...there is a reason that PGA tour have coaches, even the best in the world need help to get better.

I was looking at your club selection in your signature, what made you pick what you're playing? Just curious because you're playing a lot of clubs that don't offer you much forgiveness.

Guys, this is the Ask the Pro section. Let's keep it clear until the GolfTec pros can get here to answer the question. Thanks.

DOH! Sorry

If you know what you are doing wrong, then I say go to the range and work on repetitions and drills you've already learned to help you out. If your at a loss for what is wrong with your swing, or need new drills, then I say go back for a lesson.

Probably a little biased here, but you should see your PGA Professional nearly every week. Especially if things are slipping. The erroneous thinking I see the most is "I'll work through this funk and when it gets better I'll see my pro." What typically ends up happening is they work on the symptoms, not the underlying cause. Only a trained PGA Professional can get to the root cause.

I absolutely agree you should have a chance to work through things on your own at some point. BUT, most people's feel is misaligned with what it real. So you may be thinking you're working on the right things, but without a careful eye on you, you may be going the wrong direction.

Make sure when you see your pro, you clearly communicate what you're looking for and what your goals are.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

The pros can see things that you have no clue that have gone awry. I say see your pro and let them guide you in the right direction.

Back