JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So it comes out late March of this year and they have the big counter on their site counting down the days. I for one am not a huge fan of theirs but I will be looking forward to trying this one out.

The most advanced and finest performing driver in the history of golf club design per TaylorMade. The R9 will feature full adjustability in that it will combine 3 moveable weights with our newest technology-Flight Control Technology (FCT). FCT gives the golfer the ability to adjust the club head to affect face angle and loft. MWT and FCT give 75 yards of left to right adjustability, 3 degrees of launch angle adjustability, and up to 1800 rpm of spin adjustability. The club head can be rotated into one of eight positions, giving the ability to adjust from 2 degrees closed to 2 degrees open (actual measured face angle will be square to four open, though visually, 4 open looks 2 open to the golfer). This is done by a wrench and turning the club head onto the axis of the shaft. The three moveable weights are in similar positions to r7 Limited. The result to the golfer will be the ability to have an open club face while still promoting a draw, for example. It's really 24 drivers in one.

The club head has a large address, similar to the r7 SuperQuad, though we did not make this as large a clubhead as Burner, for example. This is, according to TaylorMade, the optimal size demanded by the most discerning players.
We are launching this on Tour at the end of January, though many of our Tour pros have been testing the club already. They have declared this the best driver ever produced.

The stock shaft on it will be Fujikura's brand new Tour platform, called "Motore" and it will be the only club in the market with Motore in the stock offering.
TP shafts will be offered at a $100 ($499 street retail) upgrade and will be assorted offerings from Fujikura, Mitsubishi, Matrix, and Aldila.
In addition, TaylorMade will also launch an R9 fairway, though the fairway will only have FCT, no MWT. It will also have the ability to use 8 positions and can affect up to 35 yards of left to right workability. This club will have the ability to go from 2 closed to 2 open. Retail price on this will be $229 and will have a traditional shape and have the stock Fujikura Motore shaft.

Here we go, another remake of the R7 Painted differently. I can agree the changeable lofts and such sounds cool but bad at the same time, but I think that's still a little extreme, and takes the fun out of the game. I wouldn't want that, seems like technology is taking over too quickly.

• Admin
Dent,
I agree with you to an extent. This is their new flagship driver and they do put a lot into it. However this has been my knock on TM the entire time. They put out so many freaking models that when something nice comes out, many overlook it.

I just saw the ad for this yesterday in GD, can't wait for THP to test it out.

Dent, I have to disagree with you about the technology. As a high handicap player, if the technology makes it easier to play I'm all for it. I understand that better players don't need the adjustability like a worse golfer, it's all about making the game more enjoyable to play.

• Admin
For adjustability Wait till you see the Str8 Fit by Nike.

I just saw the ad for this yesterday in GD, can't wait for THP to test it out.

Dent, I have to disagree with you about the technology. As a high handicap player, if the technology makes it easier to play I'm all for it. I understand that better players don't need the adjustability like a worse golfer, it's all about making the game more enjoyable to play.

I agree with you MO, but what happens when Taylormade releases their new driver that contains rockets in the back that propells your swing and hits the ball for you?

I agree with you MO, but what happens when Taylormade releases their new driver that contains rockets in the back that propells your swing and hits the ball for you?

I'll let you know when I see if it hits the ball with a slight draw:D

I don't think the technology that TM is releasing with this club is ground breaking, in fact they are behind a few other companies.

Edit: After DDB posted I went back and actually read the release, it is a ground breaking feature to be able to adjust the loft on the club. Now I'm even more excited to see THP review this club.

Last edited:
I was not aware that the r9 would feature the ability to change it's loft... now that is cool!

That's when I try to find out if that's offered in the irons too! Because when it is, I'm buying all of it!

TM drives me nuts. They issue a new driver every 3 months it seems. I agree with Dent here that this seems a bit overkill. 24 different settings?! Good grief. Plus, like all the rest of their drivers, it'll be $1,000 at launch and then be $199.95 in two months. Their stuff doesn't hold value for anything.

Now on the flip-side of this coin, I think something like this could be a GREAT fitting tool. Adjusting the driver during a fitting to help determine optimum setup for a particular user, then buying a club to those specs. Granted, you may not find the exact settings in an OTS driver, but you could probably get pretty close.

klaymon,
Then wait till you see the Nike Str8 fit. It is exactly what you will want.

Im kind of excited about it. Seems like it will be cool to tinker with. The cool thing is that most companies will follow that direction, which makes it better for all of us.

Im kind of excited about it. Seems like it will be cool to tinker with. The cool thing is that most companies will follow that direction, which makes it better for all of us.

Ya' know, I have never been tempted to buy adjustable clubs. I just go demo everything and get the best one for me. The last thing I need is the thought that I could adjust the club and that is what will fix my swing. I'd be farting around with it all the time instead of just fixing my swing.

Ya' know, I have never been tempted to buy adjustable clubs. I just go demo everything and get the best one for me. The last thing I need is the thought that I could adjust the club and that is what will fix my swing. I'd be farting around with it all the time instead of just fixing my swing.

THANK YOU HARRY! Exactly what I meant to say. Well said!

I hear ya, I messed with the adjustable weights when I first got my driver, but I havent touched it in a couple of years. But it would be fun to mess with.

ultimately you have to put the swing on the ball... weight only influences the ballflight when the swing is executed correctly

ultimately you have to put the swing on the ball... weight only influences the ballflight when the swing is executed correctly
I get this, but eventually the mans way of thinking comes in and you want to tinker. Thats just the way it is.

Reactions: JB
sorry, not a huge taylormade driver fan. maybe it will prove me wrong, actually that would be nice if it did

I don't think the technology that TM is releasing with this club is ground breaking, in fact they are behind a few other companies.
The moving weights isnt anything new (Mizuno has had that in their MP-600 driver for a few years now), but the adjustable loft is pretty cool.
Im not really a TM fan (they seem to be all about marketing hype), but Id be interested to read the reviews on it.

I've never found a TM club that I liked. When I got back into golf a few years ago, I went to my first demo day with TM at the top of the list. I still demo them every time I go to a demo day, and nothing has changed - drivers, FW woods, hybrids, irons . . . they never feel right to me. Not sure why.

Taylormade always seems to work for me, but I always keep an open mind. I think a lot of people get turned off by the amount of hype that comes with TM.

My 3W is a Taylormade, and I can hit it pretty well, but in ways, I do echo the sentiment. They do so much advertising claiming the #1 driver in golf, but most seem to be a version of the R7 (other than the Tour Burner). The outlandish claims and overadvertising are irritating, and they really don't make any wedges worth considering. I'll always give the new clubs a few swings before making up my mind though.

I saw a few pictures of it on another website, I would post them but they have watermarks on them. It kind of looks like the R7 limited.

Here is a pic of the R9 along with a link to all the specs in french or something.
87202639rt8.jpg

http://www.golf-zone.com/Nouveautes-Golf/TaylorMade-R9.html

Last edited:
Back