Shafts to Replace Adams V3 Hybrids with

neophyteguy

Reaction score
Howdy,
I've gone and done the rookie thing and ordered some Adams V3 Hybrids 16*/19*/22* in stiff shafts. After having swung them for a week, I now realize that I really only need regular shafts. The shafts currently in them are the Mitsubishi Bassara Graphite.

I've now got three reasonable expensive clubs that have the wrong shafts and that I can't return.

I'm looking for something that is relatively inexpensive to replace the shafts with and would greatly appreciate any opinions you can offer.

The UST Mamiya shaft calculator has recommended the:

Model 853- Silver VTS

Model 642 - Proforce 75

Cheers,
Neo

The ProForce is a really nice shaft in a hybrid for my swing. High, but not too high.

Thanks Hawk! I just can't get any "whip" with the stiff shafts..........Looks like there are some reasonably priced options, but a shame as I'm going to own three nice shafts that I can't use.

Cheers again,
Neo

I'm with Hawk. Proforce V2 is a great hybrid shaft. Haven't tried the VTS, so can't give you any help there.

Neo - What is your ballflight like with the Bassara and what kind of ballflight are you looking for?

I'm thinking I'm going to change out the Bassara in my V3 also, I'm thinking Oban Devotion.

Howdy,
The UST Mamiya shaft calculator has recommended the:

Model 853- Silver VTS

Model 642 - Proforce 75

Morning Neo,
Both are good options. The V2 is going to be the cheaper of the bunch but it's not going to "feel" as nice as the VTS. Great ball flight from the V2's, easy to install and well priced. My one concern is that you talk about getting the whip with the shaft which is not something I would expect you'll get with the V2. The Bassara is actually a good shaft to really get that feeling like you're plowing through the ball as long as it's in the correct flex.

The VTS is going to feel nicer, offer a nice parabolic flight and cost a bit more. What you might want to do is send a note to Adams directly. I believe the shaft in the new A12 hybrids is also a VTS Silver. When Adams uses a shaft in their line somewhere it becomes signifigantly cheaper for you to do an upgrade through an Adams authorized dealer. They'll send the clubs back to the factory to have them reshafted and it'll cost about a 1/2 or 1/3 of the cost as if you were to buy the replacement shafts on your own and have it done.

I've never seen your swing and don't know what type of flex profile you need but if you could user either equally well I'd rather have the VTS myself. Is there anywhere locally you can do a fitting? Whilte those are both great hybrid shafts, there are a number of others out there that are also quite good.

I'm with Hawk. Proforce V2 is a great hybrid shaft. Haven't tried the VTS, so can't give you any help there.

Agreed. V2 is a great, low cost hybrid shaft. You can regularly get them for $20 to $30.

I'm thinking I'm going to change out the Bassara in my V3 also, I'm thinking Oban Devotion.

I'm a bad influence eh? Heh.

I hit that A12 hybrid 6 yesterday. I like it, it did the job quite nicely. I don't know what shaft is in it, you could go over to that thread and ask the testers, they'll know, or find out for you.

While I did like the shots that I hit, I'd like to see the shaft, for me, to be a bit softer in the tip. I like a high trajectory and a softer landing. I played that 6 yesterday, twice, from the 160-165 and got it on the green but would like it to fly higher.

NICE club, whatever shaft is in there, stock, I could easily play with that. I don't swing hard enough to use a stiff shaft, never have, never will.

Good luck with getting yours re-shafted !

Tuna - The VTS is coming in the new Fybrid I think. Thanks for that info!

Tuna - The VTS is coming in the new Fybrid I think. Thanks for that info!

Not to bog down this thread but that club intrigues me. I need to look into the rocker a bit more but nothing is more important to me then camber on a hybrid. If it functions then same then that with a VTS could make it a winner for a lot of people.

I'm a little sad people haven't jumped on the VTS line more. I think it's a fantastic idea for shaft variance within a line by UST and pretty well executed.

Guys,
Thanks heaps for the suggestions! :clapp:

I spoke with Adams this morning and they weren't aware of any VTS shafts being used in their line. Saying that, they were very helpful. So much so that they are going to drop off a couple of V3 Hybrids (Regular Flex) into a local golf shop where I'm headed in a bit. The Adams rep told me to go hit those and then to get in touch with him and see what we can do about bringing over replacement shafts for me.

Unfortunately, the Bassara shafts seem to cost about as much as I paid for the V3's, so I'm thinking this was just a big stuff up! Oh well, I'm sure between Adams and the local shop (that sells heaps of shafts), I will get it sorted. I would really like to go the VTS route if it suits my swing, but just not sure I can afford to put that much money into three hybrids. :banghead:

Thanks again and I'll let you know how the fitting goes.......

Cheers,
Neo

Once again, thanks for all the help with this.

Adams was very kind and dropped off a couple of Hybrids that had the Mitsubishi Bassara R Flex (60g) in them. I hit balls with both the R shafts they had provided and also with the S shafts which I previously bought. The ball flight with the R flex was much better. I also didn't hook the ball as I didn't feel like I needed to "muscle up" on the shafts to get them working.

The guy at the shop then called Adams and was told that it would be 8 weeks before we could get any replacement shafts to Hong Kong. We didn't discuss price at the point, but we started looking into other 60g Hybrid shafts. Ray proposed two shafts: Motore Speeder and an OEM shaft that was made in Japan. I then popped across the street to grab a bit to eat and was told he was going to test the shafts and he'd call me later.

When I got back to the shop, Ray was keenly interested to discuss the shafts. Now, this starts to get pretty technical, so hopefully someone can translate if there's any questions. Ray tested the Bassara 65g (Stiff) shaft in my 4HY on a machine that checks the frequency of the staff. I was told this effectively tells you how stiff the shaft is. It's a pretty basic machine in that the grip is mounted in a vise and the other end is loaded up (bent) and released so that it oscillates. This is then recorded.

As I had hit the Bassara 60g (Regular) well on the testing machine earlier, he had identified the two previously mentioned shafts based on the characteristics of the Bassara 60g. Initially he was just trying to find some 60g shafts, but when he tested them on the "frequency machine' they were wildly different to the Bassara numbers. NONE of the R shafts he tested were close to the Bassara 60g (Regular) shaft numbers. The Bassara numbers were in the high 270's. In order to find another 60g shaft which had remotely similar numbers, he had to go to a stiff shaft. The Motore Speeder 60g (Stiff) came in at 260.

I was told that anything more than about 4-5 Hz was considerably noticeable-even to a novice like myself.

At the end of the day, I was completely blown away that it took a Stiff shaft in two other shaft choices to come up with the numbers the Regular Bassara shaft was giving me! Ray was pretty amazed at just how stiff the Bassara shafts in both Regular and Stiff were.

I haven't had a chance to hit the Motore yet with the V3 head, but I'll be at the range first thing in the morning!

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes!

Oh yeah, I only had the 4H reshafted at this point. I really can't afford to make another expensive mistake at the moment......

Hey Neo,

I'm glad you have someone on the ball who can help you with the fitting and spec checking. On the Bassara shafts, unfortunately welcome to the world of off the rack shafts. The OEM's have a shaft tolerenace and so does the shaft company and sometimes this means that what a shaft is called isn't what it is. With a friend we've picked 5 drivers off the shelf last month in "stiff" flex all from the same OEM with the same shaft. Two came out as stiff, two regular and one as seniors. Sometimes the varying tolerance levels means mistakes are made. Nearly every OEM I've dealt with has been pretty good about helping out though.

260 for that Speeder is pretty much smack on the money for a R flex. 275 to 279 is more what I'd call strong flex, between a stiff and a X which would certainly explain why you felt you had to muscle through the shot.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the Motore. I'm a huge fan of the Speeder line as long as they're fitted to you and in general, Fuji has some pretty awesome quality control on their after market product.

Super Tuna- That's amazing to hear there was such a range of tolerances on the off-the-shelf drivers! I'll certainly be getting anything else I buy new tested before I walk out the door with the product. It's also good to know that 260 is spot on for what a R Flex should be and hopefully I will be able to match my other clubs to this. I'm in the process of working out which irons to get and might even go with Fiberglass shafts now I know there is such a broad range of fitting options.

I had a chance to hit the Motore Speeder 60g today. Needless to say, I was greatly impressed with the results. Overall, I had much better contact with the ball as I wasn't trying to "muscle up" on the shaft to get it to work. Whereas I was getting MAYBE 1/5 to go through the uprights before and having everything from fades to slices to hooks, I was stoked to end up getting 50-60% to go through the uprights. Mishits were typically a fade which ended up going about 165 or so. The range is 200 yds and I was pretty consistently hitting the base of the next up to about 10 yards up the net. I think I still have some issues with how far I hit this club, but whatever it is atleast I can put the ball in play with it.

View attachment 3232

There are a couple of par 3's on the course I play at that are around the 200-210 range and I typically end up picking up about 6-7 strokes on these as I'm getting nowhere near close to the greens. I'm putting this club into play next Thursday and will be ordering the same shaft for my 16* and 19* hybrids.

The shafts themselves are nothing but sexy, so that helps too!

View attachment 3229

View attachment 3230

View attachment 3231

The overall flight of the ball was great. I typically fell the R400's in my irons really give too high of a ball flight for me. This shaft/head combo causes the ball to come off with purpose-initially penetrating, then climbing in a nice arc and finally landing softly.

I may not be in love, but I certainly have a new mistress in my life!

Thanks again guys!

BTW- Does anyone know where I can buy this 6i (60g) version of the Motore Speeder? The only place I can find them currently is on Japanese websites....Cheers!

I just wanted to close this out with a few last, final numbers.

I was filing away the receipt and remembered I had written down the actual numbers from the testing. The Bassara flex numbers (exact) that we got were:

Bassara Stiff - 286

Bassara Regular - 275

Based on what Super Tuna said above, this certainly makes these shafts well out of what is considered normal for a Stiff and Regular shaft.

I'm sure they're a great shaft, but overall too stiff for me. In the Bassara, I'd probably need to be swinging a seniors shaft........

Saying that, I'm completely stoked with the new Motore Speeder!

Happy it all worked out. I just picked up the V3 with R shafts and I am really enjoying them...but not in today's round :(

Back