Ladies input please?

ActionJackson8

KAHHHHHNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
My fiance has shown moderate interest in golf, not sure how I feel about it but that's another story. Anyway I was considering getting her a one of the major brand lady sets.

I know Cleveland is coming out with a new one.
Adams has always been reliable.
Ping, Mizuno, Taylormade are also viable choices....and I think Nickent is coming out with a ladies set?

For her I have to keep in mind she is taller than most, 5'8" or 5'9". We've been to the range and stores a few times, so far she prefers the sets that are heavy on the hybrids. She also is not a fan of steel shafts.

Any input would be nice. Thanks

-AJ

goodluck with your search AJ... at least you're looking for her own set. The worst thing is handing down clubs... so you're already on the right path. I'm sure some of the ladies here will chime in soon.

AJ,
We have 2-3 reviews coming up in the next month on some ladies sets that are "heavy on the hybrids". Including one from Wilson Staff that looks very promising. (we reviewed one of their hybrids already for women).

A reader of the main site just emailed in and posed that question to Nickent and we are looking forward to reviewing their Goddess set as well.

GG tried a few and Callaway and Adams both make solid sets, but I can tell you that she started with a Dicks starter set from Acuity and it worked great. She has updated her bag over time, but the starter set was great for her.

PING will make her a set for her specific size. I'm guessing many of the others might as well.

She needs to be fitted. Start looking up demo days, and scheduling with her to attend them.

Here is PING's schedule for all of CA, you can fine tune it by adding your zip code, and a set radius to find some closer to the house. http://pinggolf.com/demodays/default.aspx?meth=usa&stat=CA&zip=&rad=&ctry=usa

Gummi,
I agree about fitting definitely. However I think that spending that kind of money on a set for someone to "start playing" is a lot to ask. Most people start (male or female) with beginner sets.

PING will make her a set for her specific size. I'm guessing many of the others might as well.

She needs to be fitted. Start looking up demo days, and scheduling with her to attend them.

Here is PING's schedule for all of CA, you can fine tune it by adding your zip code, and a set radius to find some closer to the house. http://pinggolf.com/demodays/default.aspx?meth=usa&stat=CA&zip=&rad=&ctry=usa

The thing is other than her height I don't think a fitting would do much good at the moment as she does not have any repeatable swing. I'm thinking the money would be better spent on a started set like JB mentioned and lessons, with a fitted set six months or a year down the line.

So....How are you ever going to get away from her then????:act-up:

Lol, that was my concern. I still have my work and my aqua-culturing (coral growing) hobby. Plus she would only go out when it's the two of us, she wouldn't tag along when I go out with the guys.

Last edited:
Gummi,
I agree about fitting definitely. However I think that spending that kind of money on a set for someone to "start playing" is a lot to ask. Most people start (male or female) with beginner sets.

Yup, I agree.

However, she's tall. She'll likely be a ladies standard +1 or so. Playing with shorter clubs will be awkward, and not produce a good foundation to build off of.

Repeatable swing aside, having the right length clubs is what she needs to start with, to keep from creating any bad habits.

Being that tall, I'd guess that she's stronger than a lot of 'standard' sized women, meaning she may need a little stiffer shaft. Again, not something you can buy off the shelf without going to a men's set, which is a heavier club all together.

Lie angles can be adjusted later as her swing matures, that's not such a huge thing to have done.

I love hybrids also, although lately I am hitting my irons better. Like JB said I started off with a generic brand that came with bag and everything for like $199 and it was the perfect starter set. I have been graudally upgrading since then. I loved the wilson staff hybrid that I reviewed. I did find it heavier than some others I have tried out. I will keep you updated as the different ladies sets come in to be reviewed.

Yup, I agree.

However, she's tall. She'll likely be a ladies standard +1 or so. Playing with shorter clubs will be awkward, and not produce a good foundation to build off of.

Repeatable swing aside, having the right length clubs is what she needs to start with, to keep from creating any bad habits.

Being that tall, I'd guess that she's stronger than a lot of 'standard' sized women, meaning she may need a little stiffer shaft. Again, not something you can buy off the shelf without going to a men's set, which is a heavier club all together.

Lie angles can be adjusted later as her swing matures, that's not such a huge thing to have done.

You may be right, and if that is the case, and she is fairly strong, I would go with a starter mens set.

I know the Nickent Goddess set was mentioned, and I've seen them for sale in a couple places already. Best deals, as usual, seem to be on eBay. I've spotted new sets of Driver, 3 wood, 4-6 hybrids, 7-SW irons brand new for $300-330, some including the bag.

The thing is other than her height I don't think a fitting would do much good at the moment as she does not have any repeatable swing. I'm thinking the money would be better spent on a started set like JB mentioned and lessons, with a fitted set six months or a year down the line.

That is exactly what I did and it worked out very well. I was actually worried that I was going to need a kids set because I am 5'0" when I stand up perfectly straight, but the guy at Dicks said the standard clubs would be just fine. She may need to think about a men's beginner set but I think the ladies will be fine, I just choked down a little on the clubs and that worked just fine for me.

Just my 2p's worth (do you say 2 cents worth?!?!?)

She is quite tall, maybe get her a male set with light shafts for seniors. Might save you some money (more common) and be a better fit for her. Plus with the big centrefugal forces of a tall player, she may need more stiffness in the shaft.

Of course, i could be wrong!

There are some sets out there--not fusion sets, but something similar. Less than the full 14 clubs, because beginners don't use that many. Adams makes one that's well-regarded.

Worst_Shot_Ever had a similar thread about his wife's first clubs. You might check with him as well.

I ultimately decided to go with a complete starter set -- the top flight one mentioned by harry in that thread. I say "decided" as I still havent bought. No hurry given the weather in DC. So I'll be looking out for THP's reviews of the ladies clubs too.

just realised what i said had been said by others before!! doh!!!

No sweat Paul. Multiple input is good.

My wife is 4'8" and told me the greatest thing ever yesterday while watching the Sony Open "I want to learn, I mean I already go and drive the cart some so why not play"
will a standard womens begginer work for her seeing as how short she is?

how is the adams set you can get academy for like 199?

My wife is 4'8" and told me the greatest thing ever yesterday while watching the Sony Open "I want to learn, I mean I already go and drive the cart some so why not play"

Tex, I am not quite as short as your wife but I am 5'0" and the standard beginners set worked just fine for me.

Tex, I am not quite as short as your wife but I am 5'0" and the standard beginners set worked just fine for me.

Thanks GG, I am still amazed at the quick replies and all the helpful info THP provides. I am looking forawrd to reading reviews on the ladies clubs for her.

They make women's clubs in petite sizes--she'd probably do better with those.

I agree with the others, a cheap starter set. Spend the extra money on lessons. If she enjoys the sport and after she develops a reliable swing, then get her a customized set.

I'm looking at getting my wife a Nike driver to match mine (obviously in a womens shaft) but was wondering I can get a good deal on a 13* or 16* which should I get her? mind you she has never swung a club

BTW I decided, well let me rephrase that we decided a cheapy starter set for now and upgrade as she likes it more and gets better

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting my wife a Nike driver to match mine (obviously in a womens shaft) but was wondering I can get a good deal on a 13* or 16* which should I get her? mind you she has never swung a club

BTW I decided, well let me rephrase that we decided a cheapy starter set for now and upgrade as she likes it more and gets better

I think the starter set is a great idea. This way she can try it out and see if she likes it before you go investing all that money into more expensive clubs. I got a 14 degree TM burner and I love it! I am only sharing because I had never picked up a golf club either until I met JB, and that is what I started out with.

Back