Re-thinking my wedge options.

I think you are still going to want a 60* in there for hitting high, flop shots. IMO, 52*, 56* and 60* is the way to go.
I used to carry a 68* wedge, but it had so much loft that it left little margin for error. If you hit it just right it was great because it hit the ball so high that it didnt roll much when it landed, but it was so easy to either skull the ball or to hit it way fat.

Because I hit such a high ball, I could probably have the 56* act as my 60* wedge, it really won't be a problem to hit a high flop.

Because I hit such a high ball, I could probably have the 56* act as my 60* wedge, it really won't be a problem to hit a high flop.

I agree, when I get my new wedges I am dropping the 60* for a 58* most likely.

I was thinking about going 52* 58*, is 6* gap too much?

Honestly that is what I have right now with my 54* and 60* wedges and I don't think it hurts me, a 52*, 58* combo would be even less hurtful because it closes the gap between my first wedge and pitching wedge.

I don't even care about brands anymore when it comes to wedges... I want to find some guy in some random place who makes handmade wedges in his garage... shine those suckers up, throw a few different grinds on them and leave them naked

oh, I have to dream... right?

Honestly that is what I have right now with my 54* and 60* wedges and I don't think it hurts me, a 52*, 58* combo would be even less hurtful because it closes the gap between my first wedge and pitching wedge.

I think I'm going to go to the range first and see how far I can hit my PW, then my 54* I'm going to try everything first, and If i struggle to hit my 54* 100 yards, then I'm going to start the switch. I'm actually looking forward to it for some reason.

If that works for you, go with it. Personally, I have more of a piercing ballflight, so I need the loft in order to hold the greens.

Just got back from the range. Hit alot of 54* shots and had alot of trouble rgetting the ball to 100 yards. My ball flight was super high!

100 yards with a 54* wedge is actually pretty good. For most people, their 52* wedge is their 100-yard club.
I dont think you could expect much more than 80-90 yards out of a 54*.

100 yards with a 54* wedge is actually pretty good. For most people, their 52* wedge is their 100-yard club.
I dont think you could expect much more than 80-90 yards out of a 54*.

Oh really? I really didn't know that. I was expecting like 100-110, really didn't know how far a 54* could go.

Youd have to really crush the ball to hit a 52* 100-110 yards.

I do it in 5* differences. PW used to be at 45*, so I had a 50, 55, and 60.

5 degrees here too. 49* PW, 54* W, and 59* LW.

The more wedges I have the more chances I have to screw something up. I am better with less options in clubs and just hitting 3/4, knockdown, or something else.

5 degrees here too. 49* PW, 54* W, and 59* LW.

The more wedges I have the more chances I have to screw something up. I am better with less options in clubs and just hitting 3/4, knockdown, or something else.

thats exactly why i have switched to 2 wedges recently rather than 3. plus it freed up room for my 3 iron, or if i want to take out the 3 iron and add a hybrid that day instead

Last edited:
I like having more wedges because it gives me more options for shotmaking around the greens.
I can use the same swing and get a different distance and trajectory, rathar than messing around with 1/2 swings and open-faced shots and whatnot.
Thats what works for me though. If you guys find it easier to carry fewer wedges, there is nothing wrong with that.

I like having more wedges because it gives me more options for shotmaking around the greens.
I can use the same swing and get a different distance and trajectory, rathar than messing around with 1/2 swings and open-faced shots and whatnot.
Thats what works for me though. If you guys find it easier to carry fewer wedges, there is nothing wrong with that.

After measuring my distance with my PW, I realized in between the 54* and the PW there is such a HUGE yardage gap. I am going to look at a 52*

Dent,
Check out the review we just did on the front page on another wedge company.

Dent,
Check out the review we just did on the front page on another wedge company.

Ha, already read it JB, great review. I will look into them definatly. The V-sole technology seems pretty promising.

Although on the Flipside, I'm being very picky right now and only interested in the previous wedge I had before.

After measuring my distance with my PW, I realized in between the 54* and the PW there is such a HUGE yardage gap. I am going to look at a 52*

A 52* would be a good choice. You may also want to look and see what your PW is and maybe look into replacing it with a 47* wedge.
I dont know much about Pings, but a lot of GI iron sets have a 45* pitching wedge, whereas most player's iron sets have a 47* pitching wedge.
From a 45* PW to a 52* GW is still a pretty big gap, so a 47* would narrow the gap between your wedges.
Thats what I did. My iron set came with a 45* PW, so I replaced it with a 47* wedge so that there is less of a gap between that and my 52*.

A 52* would be a good choice. You may also want to look and see what your PW is and maybe look into replacing it with a 47* wedge.
I dont know much about Pings, but a lot of GI iron sets have a 45* pitching wedge, whereas most player's iron sets have a 47* pitching wedge.
From a 45* PW to a 52* GW is still a pretty big gap, so a 47* would narrow the gap between your wedges.
Thats what I did. My iron set came with a 45* PW, so I replaced it with a 47* wedge so that there is less of a gap between that and my 52*.

The S58 PW is at 47* so 52* would be nice.

As I posted on another thread, I found a 52* on GolfWRX, unfortunately, the shipping cost is absurd. Damn shipping is screwing me over.

If you PW is a 47* then a 52* would be right up your alley. Have you tried looking on Ebay? I recently bought a Mizuno MP-R 52* wedge that is almost like new for $45 (shipping included).
I know what you mean about the shipping costs to Canada. Thats why I wont buy from Canadian sellers on Ebay.

If you PW is a 47* then a 52* would be right up your alley. Have you tried looking on Ebay? I recently bought a Mizuno MP-R 52* wedge that is almost like new for $45 (shipping included).
I know what you mean about the shipping costs to Canada. Thats why I wont buy from Canadian sellers on Ebay.

I'd be very lucky to find the exact wedge I want from someone in Canada.

Yeah, I wont argue with you on that one. You would probably just be better off to pay the added shipping costs and buy one off of Ebay.

Yeah, I wont argue with you on that one. You would probably just be better off to pay the added shipping costs and buy one off of Ebay.

I was actually looking on my local golf shop site today, and 08 Vokeys are on sale for $85.00 I think I'll make the switch to them.

Make sure you hit them first Dent. There are tons of wedge options out there.

Make sure you hit them first Dent. There are tons of wedge options out there.

Of course I will, I'll keep my eye out for those Arc Wedges JB. I tried the vokeys last time I went wedge shopping.

I'll see what they got!

Back