What Wedge for sand?

ok. i need a grove sharpener then, cuz thats what i meant by refinished

I learned to play the sand by placing the ball on a dollar bill in the trap.
The ball on one end of the bill. Then you aim to hit the other end.

I always imagine the ball is sitting on a big bagel, and I hit the bagel.

I use my 54 most of the time. However, sometimes I use my 58. It all depends on the sand and what type of shot I need.

What do you guys play out of fairway bunkers? Do you just get to a safe location with a wedge or play hero golf (hitting out a long iron or fairway wood)? I've tried my hybrid a few times but I'm not thrilled with percentage of the results to be honest. Thankfully it's not I come up across very often.

Out of a fairway bunker, I play the same shot I would out of the rough. Many times a hybrid.

From green side bunkers I always play the 60* wedge. If it ends up in a bunker in that 40-60 yard range I play the 56* wedge and from fairway bunkers I play 1 club more than I would if the ball was in the fairway.

56*. I find it too easy to hit it fat with a 60* and have the club go right under the ball.

56/10 SW unless the sand is packed solid then I'll use whatever club to chip off it (LW, etc).

Same here. My lob has very low bounce so is tough of the sand, the 56 is just as good when opened up anyway. This may change when my new wedges come (Nickent ones....i LOVE ebay!!!! - Sadly no cheap eidolons though)

For longer shots i just use any club....with my irons i club up 1 maybe 2 clubs, play the ball a little further back and presto out it comes.....hybrids and f/w woods are particularly good in those flat fairway traps i find....provided there is space to get over any lip.

What do you guys play out of fairway bunkers? Do you just get to a safe location with a wedge or play hero golf (hitting out a long iron or fairway wood)? I've tried my hybrid a few times but I'm not thrilled with percentage of the results to be honest. Thankfully it's not I come up across very often.

I was playing with an old timer many years ago, and I was commenting how I was terrible at fairway bunkers and he told me 3 things to keep in mind:
1. Add 10 yards
2. Choke down slightly
3. Keep the lower body less active than you normally would

So I have pretty much used that approach to FB shots. Of course you have to take in to consideration the lie of the ball and the lip of the trap before deciding to go for it too. I for one won't hit a fairway wood out of a trap(don't play hybrids), if I am that far away I'll take my chances with 2 short/mid irons.

I for one won't hit a fairway wood out of a trap(don't play hybrids), if I am that far away I'll take my chances with 2 short/mid irons.

Why's that.....surely it is the same as hitting off the grass....flat.
So same technique and everything.....unless it is plugged, then irons obviously!

Is it just a personal preference not to?

I play it safe and just hit a wedge or shot iron onto the fairway. Ive tried to play hero golf in the past but it never works out like I plan.
Theres a time to go for broke and theres a time to play it safe. For me at least, the fairway bunker is a time to play it safe.

Why's that.....surely it is the same as hitting off the grass....flat.
So same technique and everything.....unless it is plugged, then irons obviously!

Is it just a personal preference not to?

To be quite honest I don't even hit my fairway wood that much in general(4 wood). And I would disagree that it is the same thing as hitting off the grass. Footing is not as good in the sand and with a wider swing arc with the fairway wood, it is harder to maintain lower body balance(for me at least) and easy for feet to spin out with the shot. Also if you catch it a bit fat on the grass you can probably get away with it, not so from the sand as there is no bouncing of the club, just tends to dig in to the sand. A little thin from the bunker and you are liable to still be in the bunker with a fairway wood. If I am in the sand at a distance for my 4 wood I would be in the 230-240 yard range, the likelyhood of me getting on the green from the fairway is low, even lower from the sand, so why risk it. I use to try to hit those shots when I was a 20+ handicap.....

^^^^

I agree 99% of the time it's not a good shot selection.

I agree. If you hit it at all fat in the sand, the club stops almost instantly and the ball goes about 3 feet.

I use my 56* out of greenside bunkers. Fairway bunkers, I use one more club then I would off a good lie.

I normally use my 56*/13 for sand shots. My 60* wedge is a 60/06, so it really doesnt have the right bounce for sand shots.

Back