Squirrel Appreciation Day

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Just thought everyone around here would like this.

Always January 21st.

Squirrel Appreciation Day is an opportunity to enjoy and appreciate your tree climbing, nut gathering neighborhood squirrels. It's held in mid-winter when food sources are scarce for squirrels and other wildlife. Sure, squirrels spent all fall gathering and "squirreling " away food. But, their supplies may not be enough. And, the variety of food is limited. So, give them an extra special treat today to supplement their winter diets.

Not everyone likes squirrels. While they are fun to watch skirting around the yard and trees, they are aggressive at bird feeders. Squirrels tip almost any bird feeder and spill the seeds in search of the particular seeds they want. In the fall, they attack pumpkins on front porches in search of the seeds inside. For gardeners they dig up and steal flower bulbs, and may eat some of the veggies in your garden.

When you think about it, mid winter is the best time to appreciate squirrels. In the winter they provide a little entertainment. During other times of the year, you may look at them as a pest in the flower and vegetable gardens.

According to Christy Hargrove, the founder, "Celebration of the event itself is up to the individual or group -- anything from putting out extra food for the squirrels to learning something new about the species."

Our dog Ellie appreciates them every day.

This stupid squirrel keeps eating all the bird food out of the feeder. We have a whole family living inside the roof of our sunroom, its about to get torn down. Not because we hate the squirlles, but because that thing is a POS.

Used to love watching them at my grandfather's house in WI growing up. He kept out feeder boxes for them and usually had several black squirrels and every now and then an albino in addition to the usual gray squirrels and chipmunks.

The squirrels around here are fat and ruthless. They seem to have developed no fear of humans.

There's a holiday for everything I guess...

I ran over a squirrel once, and shot it with a BB gun... :angel:

Was it already gone or was it like taking old yeller out back.

Can we get a dead squirrel smiley.

Squirrels are hilarious.

Was it already gone or was it like taking old yeller out back.

Can we get a dead squirrel smiley.

Well it was 2 different times. I was 4-Wheeling and then out of no where a squirrel pops out and I couldn't stop so I ran him over. Then a different time my friend and I were in his backyard with BB guns, and we used his rabbit trap and caught a squirrel and shot him. Kind of mean, but it was still fun.

I couldn't find a dead one....yet
TN_19-03-07-16.jpg

We have a crazy squirrel guy at a park by my work. He lays on the grass and feeds them while they jump all over him. I have not seen him in a while though, maybe he became rabid.

I'll have to let my neighbor know about this, he reminds me of Spackler and the groundhog.lol He gets so po'ed about the squirrels and his bird feeders, between squirrels and cats that guy is going to go nuts.

I miss the good old red squirrel. Those beautiful things are neraing extinction now, in the wake of the grey squirrel invaders...

I'm really surprised the article didn't mention that it's the "squirreling away" of nuts - that is, burying them and forgetting where a large number are - that allows these trees to spread and reproduce. Namely the oak/acorns. Both species evolved to help each other out - the acorn to be tasty to the squirrel so he'd hide them, forget, and they'd spread. Just a reminder that all species (even the pests) have their niche, and their adaptations have a reason.

Anyone remember the squirrel post-it commercial? I love that one!

Growing up, we had a great dog and an oak tree by the back door. The squirrels had Spooky trained. They'd let her get just...this... close to them. Then they'd run up the oak tree and throw acorns at her. Poor thing. She died when I was 20, and I still miss her.

I had a Beagle growing up that would sit at the back door (large sliding glass dorr) and carry on if there was a squirrel or bird in the back yard. When you would let her out she would slink out the door and just sit staring at it from the stoop. Then she would bust off in full run trying to catch it. We had a telephone pole in the corner of the yard and the squirrels would dart for it and run just up high enough where she couldn't get to them and just look at her. It was so funny.

I heard a commercial on the radio the other day that I thought was pretty funny. I'm not sure if it was for brakes or tires but at the end the squirrel that is the "voice" of the commercial says "If there's a nut in the road I'm going after it." I thought it was pretty funny.

We have a basset right now that corners squirrels and starts howling and points. One of them decided to bite her ear and hit a blood vessel. There was blood everywhere, im running around screaming and it ends up costing me 250bucks. She still goes after them, but she never attacks them, just points and howls.

We have a basset right now that corners squirrels and starts howling and points. One of them decided to bite her ear and hit a blood vessel. There was blood everywhere, im running around screaming and it ends up costing me 250bucks. She still goes after them, but she never attacks them, just points and howls.

I hope my dog never gets to one. She will lose the fight I'm sure.

Back