range ball question

trae*

no post ***** aka"active"
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone ever encounter range balls that felt like you were hitting rocks? had no choice but to hit another range today since my normal one is closed on tuesday . they both use a pinnacle ball (not sure if its the same exact model) the good range uses a white version to the others yellow version. Every ball felt horrible even simple chip shots as i went to those thinking maybe my swing was off and i was missing the center of the face. The range with the white pinnacle balls i have never had an issue with and get good feel and distance from.

The range i go to has really bad balls just like you they are like a rock and i loose about 2 clubs with each iron and they leave a strange wax like film on my clubs. but with it being winter in calgary we dont have much choice.

The range I normally go to uses Srixon balls and they're more than adequate.

Steel Tappin'

The range i go to has really bad balls just like you they are like a rock and i loose about 2 clubs with each iron and they leave a strange wax like film on my clubs. but with it being winter in calgary we dont have much choice.

Yup, the best range in Calgary uses pinnacles and I get that film in wedges. It's alright as you can see the impact point. In general, most ranges I go to have sub-par balls. It's nice to get on sims for this reason

My local muni has TaylorMade, Pinnacle & Top Flite range balls mixed, most are in pretty bad shape, also in the mix are an assortment of scuffed and worn old balls (all brands) so I always roll the better balls to the side for my driver and hit the others with my irons. Some feel pretty good and some are not even worth hitting, I always practice with a swing thought and try not to get too involved with watching the results.

Nike balls at my place and I have no complaints other than balls missing dimples

I use the range to work on my swing. I hope the ball heads toward my target but I do not worry about distance; I do not trust the balls to fly the same as my competition balls.

I ALWAYS chip with my game balls: the spin characteristics of range balls are not reliable. I also usually use my game ball for putting as I do not like the sound of the practice balls.
My local muni has TaylorMade, Pinnacle & Top Flite range balls mixed, most are in pretty bad shape, also in the mix are an assortment of scuffed and worn old balls (all brands) so I always roll the better balls to the side for my driver and hit the others with my irons. Some feel pretty good and some are not even worth hitting, I always practice with a swing thought and try not to get too involved with watching the results.

I just left the range a few hours ago, and the balls were terrible. Some didn't have any dimples left, others were cracked, some were covered in dried mud. Even with crappy balls, I still have a good session with the long stick.

Maybe your range should change to these excellent golf balls.

LMAO that is great. "if you wanna hit like me you gotta play with my balls"

:laughing:

Thanks !

My local course uses half range balls and half balls the rangers have found on the course and in hazards. You never know if you're going to hit an old water ball or a slightly scuffed prov1.

Everyone at my course looks for "range" balls (Top flite, pinnacle, old junkers) in hazards when we play and put them in our bags, then when we go to the range we hit those out there along with their balls. Everone does this, so it is half range balls and half a hodgepodge of other junkers lol

I saw a cracked range ball and it was just one solid chunk. No discernible layers that I could see. That being said, I normally don't care or notice much.

Yeah, range balls around here are pretty bad. One range I won't even return as they use what appears to be 1 piece balls. Lots of split balls and 100 yard 7 irons.

It should be banned by the USGA to use one piece balls.

During the winter our facility uses the yellow Pinnacle golf balls that aren't so hot. During the golf season we use ProV1's and ProV1x's.

It should be banned by the USGA to use one piece balls.

I'm pretty scared to hit them. Pretty sure I wouldn't experience bodily harm, but my clubs could.

I think the ranges around my area just buy second hand used balls and just stripe them with a black line. lol.. seems like every time i go i get a wide variety of balls...

Back