TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
I got this from LA Times website and they actually had a televised press conference for it.

"A woman has given birth to octuplets at a Kaiser Permanente hospital in Bellflower, hospital officials confirmed today.

Updated at 5:10 p.m.: Two physicians who helped in the deliveries said they had planned in advance for the c-section deliveries but were only expecting seven babies. They got six boys and two girls.

“My eyes got to be the size of saucers,” Dr. Karen Maples said when it became obvious there was an eighth child. “We just went on and delivered the babies.”

“The orchestrated delivery went off without a hitch,” added Dr. Harold Henry. “The babies are all doing well and the mom is also doing well. There were no complications from the surgery to the best of my knowledge."

Henry said that hospital physicians and there assistants practiced two dry runs ahead of time. “We planned well and it was well executed,” he said. Maples said there were 46 people involved in the deliveries.

“It was exciting, a little anxious,” she said. “But we were prepared.” She said the mother should be released in a week but that the babies would probably remain in the hospital for at least two months.

The six boys and two girls were born between 10 43 a.m. and 10:48 a.m, the doctors said. The babies each weighed between 1 pound and 15 ounces to 3 pounds and four ounces, the physicians said.

Updated at 5:50 p.m.: Dr. Richard Paulson, director of the fertility program at the USC Medical School, called the event “unbelievably rare. When people use fertility drugs, 80 percent even then are single births. The vast majority of the others are twins.”

Still, fertility experts consider the birth of more than two kids with fertility medication to be not a medical triumph, but “a serious complication,” Paulson said. “We do not ever intend to give someone octuplets.”

Usually, he said, births of this kind are brought on by fertility medication, not in vitro fertilization. Often, during the medication, several of the mother’s eggs are fertilized. In most cases, Paulson said, the mother chooses to reduce the number of fertile eggs to two, “to make sure the two remaining babies will have the best chance at having good health. “To have all those babies, the mother would choose to have selective reduction.

Apparently the mother made the decision to carry all the eight babies to viability.”

KCAL Channel 9 reported that the babies were born today and quoted a doctor as saying they were "doing quite well."

In 1998, the first known set of octuplets born in the United States arrived. The six girls and two boys were born in Houston. One of the babies later died. The others survived and recently celebrated their 10th birthdays.

--Sam Quinones, Carlos V. Lozano and Jeff Gottlieb"

Oh gosh, I don't want one, lol. Hope they do well.

All I have to say is NO THANK YOU! That is 6 babies too many in my mind. I do wish the family all the best and a huge congratulations.

I just read about that on Yahoo!, pretty amazing story. Definitely too many at one time though, I couldn't imagine having 2 let alone 8.

Octuplets = 8 babies
Octogon = 8 sides

October = 10th month?

Aughhhh, the editing!

Thanks for the tidbit NVM!

Can you imagine having six teenage boys all at the same time.

Better than six teenage girls all at the same time.

My mom can't even handle one. :devil:

Gas, I don't wanna imagine.

MO, I was going to say the same thing.

Dent, my mom is the same, haha! :banana:

But I hope the family does well, and all the kids are healthy, and live through early life without complications.

Aren't they supposed to be around 6-8 lbs when they are born? Why are most of them only 3? Is that even good for the baby?

Aren't they supposed to be around 6-8 lbs when they are born? Why are most of them only 3? Is that even good for the baby?

Dent anytime it's a multiple birth the weights are lower, it's not optimal but modern medical technology handles it pretty well now.

And how much is THAT gonna cost the insurance company? And indirectly, all of us? Selfish and irresponsible of the parents. Kids born that small almost inevitably develop issues.

And how much is THAT gonna cost the insurance company? And indirectly, all of us? Selfish and irresponsible of the parents. Kids born that small almost inevitably develop issues.

Pretty sure they didn`t try to have 8 babies all at once. I think having kids is the greatest thing to happen to a person. I`m sure they were having problems getting pregnant and were on fertility drugs so it happens sometimes, I think they should still have the chance to experience the joy of having children.

Pretty sure they didn`t try to have 8 babies all at once. I think having kids is the greatest thing to happen to a person. I`m sure they were having problems getting pregnant and were on fertility drugs so it happens sometimes, I think they should still have the chance to experience the joy of having children.

Usually those sorts of numbers come from in vitro, not drugs. Which means the doctor and the parents were being pretty darn irresponsible. It's not safe for mom or kids to carry that many fetuses.

Someone stop me before I get on my "this is what a pro-choice Catholic looks like" rant. I'll be quiet now.

Apparently, the mother wants to play the part of a clown car.

Apparently, the mother wants to play the part of a clown car.

Oh that one made me spit my coffee out. Thats wrong in so many ways. :act-up:

Forget the 6 boys. How about 2 teenage girls at the same time. I know my mom was at her wits end with just my oldest sister. The girls will have plenty of friends of their brothers to choose from.

Hope all do well. That's a lot of kids.

No mention of any father in the picture? This just gets better and better. :at-wits-end:

Why would a woman with 6 kids feel that she needs to take fertility drugs? Obviously she's fertile enough already! And yes, no mention of a husband. Hope we aren't going to be paying for these kids.

Holy cow, she's already got a litter of 6 freakin pups at home! The cherry on top of this domestic trainwreck, she still lives at home with her folks!!!

Come on, having 14 kids and living with your parents is far from a trainwreck. :act-up:

Come, having 14 kids and living with your parents is far from a trainwreck. :act-up:

Having 14 kids would force you to live with your parents. I didn't read the stories but why is a single women with 6 kids already receiving fertility treatment? I'm thinking after the first 6 I'm good. And to think there are people out there that would give a left leg to have kids and this women has 14 and most likely won't be able to take care of them. Who else thinks she's already got the reality tv shows lined up for a shot at this?

Back