James

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys,
I'm looking to get a lower, more penetrating ball flight with my driver. However I do not have an adjustable driver. Therefore is it worth trying a 9 or 9.5 driver?

I would be somewhat vary. Best thing to do is goto a local American Golf and get them to give some driver stats on the their new fitting machines. A lower lofted driver is great if you have a high enough swing speed to balance trajectory with speed for optimal distance. Also check what angle you are hitting the ball with your current driver. I was in a similar position and found I was hitting my 910 driver 18 degrees even though it was 10.5. After seeing a pro I am launching it at the loft intended.

I'd say save the money on a new driver and check to see if you're hitting down @ the ball? An upward strike will create less backspin and more penetrating flight even with 10.5 driver.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely check that.

You can try another shaft as well, they can make a big difference in your ball flight.

I've heard that you can tee it lower, would this work?

Teeing it a little lower should affect the ball flight, but you still want to make sure that you can hit in the sweet spot on the clubface. Otherwise, you'll lose distance.

Just baught a 9.5 tm 2.0 SP and i have noticed a big difference from my 10.5

I also just switched from 10.5 to a 9. I've lowered my ball flight but also credit some of the change to a new TP shaft as well.

Everyone has their own swing, and one should not tamper with other mans swing :) But here's some points that worked for me...

I tried also to tee the ball lower. It worked, but took some of the distance away. The key to a successful long and penetrating drive (FOR ME) was to change the way I think about the impact. The true key is to have an upward impact. Teeing it higher is the first step, then it feels awkward as hell and you don't get a decent impact. The second step is to check and control your spine and shoulders at address. The spine should have an angle where the right shoulder (if you are a RH) is lower than the left shoulder. This is where you begin, then at impact that same or similar angle should be present.

Before you change to a smaller loft driver think about the impact, the club should be heading upwards, the lower the angle, steeper the spine angle should be, and this increases the "difficulty" of the shot. A lower loft driver can be the perfect solution, but before you spend money, check for other options. What I'm saying, what worked for me (again this is import, it's just me), can be non suitable for you.

In my opinion, the secret to a long drive is not a low trajectory shot. The secret is to drive upwards so that the ball bores high with low spin. It's not the high trajectory that kills the drive, it's the spin and therefore a too steep downward swing / impact.

It's quite common to see that golfers hit a drive and they kind of lean towards the target at impact, when they should lean away from it.

spinen.jpg

Thats my thoughts, BUT I have to note, that before this, my big help was to change to a stiffer and more fade biased driver. Burner '08 10.5 Reg to a Burner 2.0 TP 10.5 Stiff.

Good swings and happy golfing!

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend going into a shop and being fit for a driver on a monitor where you can see your launch numbers, etc.

The worst thing you can do is start buying stuff without trying in "hopes" that it helps the problem only to realize that you spent a ton of money chasing a solution that could have been fixed upfront going through the a proper fitting. I am speaking from experience unfortunately. :D

Agreed, we see the angle of attack as the biggest culprit of high launch high ball flight with a driver with too low of a loft.
You should try and find out this information before you start spending money for clubs and shafts when it might not be as bad as you think.

Angle of Attack will have a lot to do with the ballflight. A different shaft with a different kickpoint will as well. I've gone from 9.5* to 10.5* and my ballflight now is actually more penetrating and piercing than it was with the 9.5*. This is based on yesterday where it was cold, windy and pouring. Both into and with the wind.

Alex

I would definitely recommend going into a shop and being fit for a driver on a monitor where you can see your launch numbers, etc.

The worst thing you can do is start buying stuff without trying in "hopes" that it helps the problem only to realize that you spent a ton of money chasing a solution that could have been fixed upfront going through the a proper fitting. I am speaking from experience unfortunately. :D

I agree with Cookie 1 million percent.
I got fitted for my driver and my irons last year and I will NEVER buy more clubs without being properly fitted.

You can try another shaft as well, they can make a big difference in your ball flight.
Bingo! In many ways shaft is just as important, if not moreso than loft in determining ballflight.

Back