Help to identify, evaluate and talk about shaft deterioration...

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
I bought a TaylorMade Burner 2.0 TP Driver from eBay 6 months ago, and I got a really sweet deal. The clubhead was in good shape and cost me only 150 USD + shipping.
However, the club had a retrofitted shaft, which didn't bother be at all, and most importantly, my 'driving' is better than ever. 250+ yards carry is a friend who now visits quite often. The stiff shaft also helped with my slice and now there's usually just a hint of fade, as the club is drawn to that by default. (Thanks for reading so far :)

The problem is that, or what I would like to know, how fast, if ever, do modern shafts deteriorate?
My shaft is, a Graffalloy Prolite Tour S. It's totally black, and the writing is in gold. I believe that the shaft is not of the latest model because I haven't found any info of it anywhere. It's most likely at least 3 years old.

My problem is that the head has got loose a couple of times, and the shaft / clubhead has been glued already three times. Once in Finland and twice on a trip to Miami, there it was fixed at a Edwin Watts. I suppose it's just bad work / wrong glue that it got loose again, but could there be some sort of shaft issue? Could the shaft be old & worn and cause the loosening of the head?

I like the shaft, and the guys at local store saw the club and were struck that I had according to them "the best shaft ever, if they would still make those, all the players on tour would buy them". I hardly expect a normal shaft to be something extraordinary, but I would like to find more info on the shaft incase it breaks and I have to replace it. I'd like to find a shaft with similar specs if it would ever happend.

So...any supermindedshaftfreaks here?

What I know...

Make: Graffalloy
Model: Prolite
Flex: S

What I don't know...

Year: ?
Torque: ?
Playability factor: ?
Weight: ?
Bend point: ?
Tip stiffness: ?

See images under spoilers:

Spoiler
kuva2.jpg

Spoiler
kuva3s.jpg

Thanks for any help, and please feel free to discuss similar issues in this thread.
(Moderator: If a similar thread already exists, please do what a you do to keep this place going.)

Last edited:
Hi castor, I have tried to have a look but to no avail, I have some old shaft catalogues about, I think the torque was around 3.3. Weights 64-68. Around 2003 possibly the Prolite elite. I could also be massively wrong and if so I apologise. Happy new year

Forum member TC can probably help you out quite a bit as he does a lot with different shafts.....but so can some others. That shaft definitely looks older to me.....

I honestly know nothing about this shaft. I can't imagine a shaft made from today's materials would have deterioration issues.

My friend got an R11 and he kept his really old graphite shaft... No idea what it is called. He plays 100 times a year or so and it hasn't deteriorated at all.

^^^Thanks!! I'll check it out!

Back