New Tech Really Better?

peppo31

Reaction score
Handicap
Over the past few years I've been hitting a few sets of irons: r7s, w/s deep red, tm burners, but this year I bought a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ irons off ebay and had them re-gripped and I have to say these have been my favorite irons so far. I feel like they outperform any other sets I've played with and they are almost 15 years old. Anyone else game these irons or have thoughts on them versus today's iron technology? Maybe I just like them because they're the only forged set I've played.

I think there have been a lot of advancements with irons, forgiveness, weighting, design... etc but sometimes certain irons just fit your swing better. Shaft can have a lot to do with it as well.

I would say technology in club design and shaft design has gotten better. Whether it works better for you is the question.

Over the past few years I've been hitting a few sets of irons: r7s, w/s deep red, tm burners, but this year I bought a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ irons off ebay and had them re-gripped and I have to say these have been my favorite irons so far. I feel like they outperform any other sets I've played with and they are almost 15 years old. Anyone else game these irons or have thoughts on them versus today's iron technology? Maybe I just like them because they're the only forged set I've played.
Let's not get into that again! haha

I bet they feel soft too.

Most pro's seem to use the latest set of irons, presumably they wouldnt if they were worse. You do see alot of older equipment outside of the irons though, 3 woods especially.

Simon Dyson uses a Nike driver which i think is at least 4 years old...you'd think one of the new ones would be better but seemingly not?

So in answer to your question, no its not always better no matter what the OEM says.

While waiting for the Razr's last year I went back to my old X-16's. Was wondering if there'd be much difference, and whether replacing them actually made sense. It did! It was like night and day really. So I guess from my limited sampling I'd have to say yes, modern tech does indeed make a difference.

Considering the advances in engineering, production, and product testing I would say that new equipment should be better. If it's not, then there are issues in those respective departments at the OEMs. That doesn't mean that newer equipment should always be used. If a club fits your swing, or you have unwavering confidence in your club, then stick with it. Interestingly enough, I wonder if Simon Dyson's driver is the original SQ Sumo2 driver or if Nike has remanufactured the driver for him off of the old specs.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2011-10/photos-old-clubs-still-winning#slide=1

Golf Digest did a nice article about tour pros winning with old cheap clubs that they love.

It's not about the latest and greatest ... It's about what works for your individual style and game.

I use 2 wedges that are at least 10-15 years old and will play them until I die.

I totally agree with this. It's also a comfort thing for them. Why change something when you know how it performs/acts

I have a sand wedge that I bought at least 25 years ago and I have never seen another one like it. I have holed several shots from the fairway and out of bunkers with this club over the years and from time to time when I am shanking wedges I put it back in the bag. I think it cost like $8 at Kmart or Walmart if I remember right.

I have an old Callaway Steehead plus 3 wood that I just hit so pure. For a few years, I was using that off the tee over a driver since it was dead straight and long. I still use it at times, but I can say the 910 fd comes close to matching the feel of that old 3 wood.

I think in terms of forgiveness and distance, the new clubs will out perform older ones. But you're not going to notice a big difference in player irons as long as you are always hitting the sweetspot. Hit outside the sweetspot, and there's a difference.

sometimes you just find something that works for you. good clubs are just that good clubs and some stand the test of time. i once heard an interview with craig stadler and he said he had not changed irons for about 15 years. i do beleive that the new technology makes it easier to hit it straight more often and with the stonger lofts in most clubs now days distance has increaced. we also have to consider the tech in the shafts as well just try taking a spalding driver from the 70's to the range and compair it to your 460cc graphite driver. it's good fun

I had a set of 08' Big Bertha irons and traded straight up for used Mizuno MX-20's. I am at least one club more distance. When I first bought them I thought they were more forgiving, but now I don't think that because they are my first forged set and maybe I mistook forgiveness for softness. They are amazing irons and surprisingly just as long as new irons I've demoed. That might be due to the fact I'm used to them and they have very similar lofts...46* pw, 21* 3i. They are ten years old and every time I feel like buying new irons I have to stop and remember that I hit my mx-20's better than the ones I want!

I had a set of 08' Big Bertha irons and traded straight up for used Mizuno MX-20's. I am at least one club more distance. When I first bought them I thought they were more forgiving, but now I don't think that because they are my first forged set and maybe I mistook forgiveness for softness. They are amazing irons and surprisingly just as long as new irons I've demoed. That might be due to the fact I'm used to them and they have very similar lofts...46* pw, 21* 3i. They are ten years old and every time I feel like buying new irons I have to stop and remember that I hit my mx-20's better than the ones I want!

True true, age doesn't define performance!

Back