Buick Invitational [spoilers imminent]

They do that at several tournaments Dent. The Crosby (A T & T) and the Hope come to mind besides this one.

Harry can you find the video of Goosens birdie off the hill? I looked for it on GC, couldn't find it.

Is it just me, or is Nick Faldo getting exponentially more annoying each week?

It started last year with his accent taking on a decidedly more cockney flavor, but has progressed to the point where he is often unintelligible. And not just because of the accent. He is now stammering, interrupting, not finishing sentences, and generally just not making sense. Additionally, he has taken to predicting shots before they happen, and getting them wrong more often than not. Especially putts. ("That's a lovely putt . . . oh, he's missed it.) It's gotten to the point that I dread when the on-course reporters make a comment about technique, because inevitably they will also ask Faldo to comment.

I still maintain that the reason Kelly Tilghman is disliked is because: (a) men are not used to hearing a woman in the booth; and (b) because she is always trying to wrangle Faldo into something sensible and can't just commentate on her own. (<-- I'm also still skeptical about whether "commentate" is really a word.)

Oh, and I've also noticed that commercial breaks are getting longer and more frequent. I used to be able to hit the "skip" button (30-second skip) on my remote 4 times and, almost without fail, it would fast forward exactly past the commercial break. Now, they are doing more commercials and more Golf Central Updates after the commercials (please tell me the point of doing a Golf Central Update when the only event of the weekend is the event I am watching? Instead of showing me the putt that Charley Hoffman just hit, and which was shown again when Rich Lerner interviewed him after his round, how about some new live action?) They commercials are also getting more frequent. During the last 30 minutes in particular, I think there are actually more commercials than golf.

On the bright side, it is nice to see Luke Donald playing well again. Also, I noticed that TGC is now broadcasting a primetime replay of the weekend rounds, which will be shown live on CBS. Good in case the DVR doesn't catch the finish in the event that a round runs over time. Also on the bright side, Peter Oosterhaus has now made it through the first two rounds without another audible sphincter malfunction. Dare we hope for three?

I agree 100% on Faldo. He is losing it more and more each week. My solution would be to put Nobilo in the booth. He is by far one of the best they have IMHO and makes sense. Although making sense is clearly not a prerequisite.

I asked TGC about commercials and they said for tour events there is an additional 12 seconds to about half their breaks. It really is nothing more than one sponsors commercials running long.

I've heard that Tilghman is not favored. I'm not sure why. I like her, like looking at her, and like to hear her voice if only because it breaks up the mumble of the mens. I also think she was unfairly criiticized for inadvertently touching the national sore spot with the "lynching" thing. Wierd, for a change I find myself with nothing disparaging to say about a television personality. Strange.

(And I like Faldo.)

I'm not watchiing this--too much else going on--but from Harry's description, I almost wonder if there isn't something organic going on with Faldo. Early symptoms of something serious?

That's probably a dangerous speculation to make on a public forum.

Maybe he's just hitting the sauce?

Ha, fair guess. I'll have to go look at that.

I asked TGC about commercials and they said for tour events there is an additional 12 seconds to about half their breaks. It really is nothing more than one sponsors commercials running long.

That doesn't mesh with my thumb's independent research. I'm hitting the skip button more times than before. Maybe TGC isn't factoring in the GC Updates and commercials for their own shows.

Maybe he's just hitting the sauce?

I thought about that, but I don't think that's it. I think he's just getting lazy and inattentive.

You might be right about that Harry. They probably do not count promos.

You might be right about that Harry. They probably do not count promos.

I'm watching this morning's pre-CBS coverage (kudos to TGC for that), and I just counted my "skips" - 8. That equals 4 minutes. Of that, 2 skips were a Leadbetter segment on flop shots, and the tail end (15 seconds?) was a short promo. But that's still 5 and 1/2 skips, which is 1.5 minutes more than it used to be.

I don't mind that the are longer if that means additional coverage like this morning's. But I do mind when they keep interrupting. It disrupts the rhythm of watching the round (if that makes sense).

Your research is thorough and amazing. You should work at Nielsen. But alas they are in FL...hehe.

I am going to call our contact there on Monday and direct them to this thread.

Your research is thorough and amazing. You should work at Nielsen. But alas they are in FL...hehe.

I am going to call our contact there on Monday and direct them to this thread.

HAH!

My research is based entirely on convenience! :D
Harry + lazy + sofa + DVR + remote = counting button presses.

BTW, the last break was 6 skips.

If I was really researching, I would determine the % of E.D. commercials per round!

That was seriously funny. Or how many Outback ads there are for this tourny.

How about Charley Hoffman's tee shot into the tree?

schulz_flipbook_20.jpg

If I was really researching, I would determine the % of E.D. commercials per round!

Juxtaposed with your new avatar...

Okay, Villegas hasn't really been on my radar; just a punk kid. I'd always thought of him as kind of scrawny. But wow--where did he get those arms? I could be all over those biceps.

Okay, Villegas hasn't really been on my radar; just a punk kid. I'd always thought of him as kind of scrawny. But wow--where did he get those arms? I could be all over those biceps.

Good grief, where have you been?

aug31_camillo_299x323.jpg

Camillo is kind of a gym rat. From what I understand, he does a lot of weight training and he cycles something like 50 miles a day. I guess that shoots down the theory that being really muscular is bad for one's golfswing.
He isnt playing so well today though.
Phil is playing OK, but nothing spectacular. He is still hitting his shots to the right, his wedge play isnt on like it usually is and he is still miss a lot of putts. At least he made the cut this week though...

Looking for some nice biceps on the LPGA?
Whats sad though is that a lot of the players in the LPGA have bigger guns than the PGA players do.

Back