Nicklausfan

Reaction score
Today I went to a local golf show here in the Niagara area. For a small show I had a great time and I really could've spent 5 hours there. I only had two hours to burn so I had to be fast. There was a new OEM present at the show. MA-nine Golf

MA-nine Golf at present makes a line of irons and hybrids with wedges currently in the works. Designer/Owner Mark Adams worked for and/or designed for Tommy Armour. The MA-nine line of irons and hybrids are constructed from 431-9 stainless giving it a soft forged feel. The heads are cast and assembly takes place in Canada. A first for a company in some time in Canada. The heads like so many others are cast in China. The toplines are moderate and quite truthfully are very pleasing on the eye. No thick topline here and the soles are far from chunky. Offset is definitely minimal/moderate again pleasing the eye. The cavity does have some graphics but they are done in a tasteful manner. Nothing massive or intrusive. Stock shafts of steel or graphite are available. Graphite shafts are made by Grafalloy and are available from L to S flexes. With TT Dynalite 110 being the steel offering stock shaft in R and S flexes.

I was informed to look for commericials/informercial to appear in the near future on The Golf Channel. I'll go back tomorrow and take some in hand pics if I have a chance. I know.. thread is worthless w/o pics. In the meantime... here is the link.

www.ma-ninegolf.ca

Alex

A Follow-up to yesterday...

MA-nine Golf Review
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending the Niagara Golf show and Sale in St. Catharines, Ontario. The show which is small in stature was rich in quality. Some of the OEM’s that attended the show included PING, Callaway, Mizuno, Titleist, TaylorMade and Adams Golf. Also in attendance was a newcomer to the equipment industry MA-nine Golf.

MA-nine Golf is a Canadian company that has developed a line of irons and hybrids. Its Founder is Mark Adams who has been in the golf industry for some time. Mark has designed for companies like Tommy Armour and Medicus. Companies from Canada like TNT and Jazz have more or less slipped by the wayside. Not only is MA-nine Golf a Canadian company but they are also local. I never knew of the existence of the company until this show. Ma-nine Golf is also going to be present at the Toronto Golf Show. I attended the show the first day and had a serious long look at the clubs. But I refrained from hitting anything. I decided late last night to attend the show a second day with the purpose of hitting the MA-nine Golf line.

I arrived at the show and made a “bee-line” to the MA-nine Golf booth. I asked them if it would be okay for me to hit an iron or two. To start I decided to go with the Gap Wedge which was shafted with the stock TT Dynalite Gold. I opted to start off with finesse shots like pitches and ¾ wedges. At address, I noticed that there wasn’t a lot of offset in the GW and the top line was quite user friendly. These definitely do not have a thick top line. They use a 431-9 steel to make the clubs which is said to offer a forged feel. Quite honestly, the iron was indeed buttery soft. Shot after shot was right in the sweet spot which is massive. Whenever golfers think “big sweet spot” automatically the term “shovels” come to mind… or thick soles. Thick soles and shovels need not apply here. I moved on to a 6-iron which was shafted with a Project X 6.0. It did not disappoint. The iron sets up great to the ball and again with a different shaft the head felt “buttery”. I would end up hitting every iron in the set including the 4 iron and the results were fantastic. The amount of forgiveness was tremendous but more on that later. There are custom shaft options available.

I also hit the MA-nine Golf hybrids which are currently offered in 18* and 21* lofts. I hit both while at the show. The head is a black matte finish with lines towards the trailing edge. These lines absolutely frame the ball beautifully which inspires confidence. There is a little offset with this club and that will help a multitude of golfers. I would describe the sound at impact pleasing. It’s sort of muted but it doesn’t sound sharp, hollow or tinny. The hybrid is constructed from the same 431-9 stainless that the irons are constructed from. You can feel the clubhead go through impact as the head is weighted nicely. I believe the swingweight is about a D-3. I really love the non-glare finish on this head. It is a real forgiving head.

Speaking of forgiveness. This is something that I alluded to earlier when I discussed the irons. What a perfect introduction to this topic. These irons are as I mentioned forgiving. Think of the qualities of a player’s iron and throw it into the body of an Ultra Game Improvement and that is the MA-nine. I purposely hit some shots out towards the toe of the club and the forgiveness was quite evident. Judging by feedback from the club I could tell that poor swings would not be punished as much as other clubs.
I made a point of hitting all of the other company’s irons. I can honestly say that these irons kept up or were better than other offerings I hit. I would say that they were definitely the most forgiving platform I hit but again without the clunky look of a SGI or UGI. Part of the forgiveness could be explained by the heel toe weighting and slightly longer blade length. Feel wise they felt as buttery as any forging I hit there or in the past. The MA-nine are worth a look-see.

As mentioned yesterday watch for their commercial on The Golf Channel in the near future.

Alex

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

006.jpg

008-1.jpg

013.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

Curious when the design for Tommy Armour was? Do you know if it was pre or post Sports Authority house brand? Or did he work under Hoeffy?

Curious when the design for Tommy Armour was? Do you know if it was pre or post Sports Authority house brand? Or did he work under Hoeffy?

Pretty sure it was pre.. he designed the 845 as I recall.

Alex

Okay, so if I am reading that right, he was at Tommy Armour at about the 2000 year mark. That would make sense since it was after Hoeffy left and the 845 line was long since produced.

Indeed thats what it seems.

Who would want to follow up Hoeffy? Sure as hell not me! LOL

I'm not too sure on the particulars or anything all that I know is I reported and reviewed something that was new. Of note, they were also at the PGA Show in Orlando this year.

Alex

Back