Iron Advice needed

Manic Stu

Reaction score
Handicap
My fellow hackers -

The ministry of finance (my wife) has given me permission to buy a new set of irons next time I am in the US (April). Before I get there need to try a few irons sets out so I am sure what I want but where to start is the big question.

A few details about my game - am a 14 marker, I play RH and have a fade (it can get to be a slice but I have straightend out a lot in the last year). I am 6ft tall and my current irons have 2 inch extentions (which I love) but the workability of them is just not there (they are henry griffitts IS-1s that were fitted about 3 years and double handicap ago - was off 28 at time).

My big decision is do I go Game improvement or step up to a CB/MB type club. Not sure I am at the stage of wanting/needing blades just yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best advise would be to hit a variety of sticks, including GI's and blades. That is going to be the only way you are going to know if you are ready to step up to a blade. I am currently compiling a list of sticks I want to hit and the list is made up of both GI irons and irons that would be referred to as player irons. As has been debated here before, there really is no handicap threshold for what type of iron you play. The only thing that can really tell you what club you should be gaming, is your swing and your swing only. There are just way to many variables in each persons swing for there to be any advise other than hit a bunch of sticks and go with what you hit best.

Where in the US are you going to be? I think your best bet would be to search the area and see if there are any places that could do a club fitting for you. I am sure you will find a few options and just see at that point what you feel most confident with.

Where in the US are you going to be? I think your best bet would be to search the area and see if there are any places that could do a club fitting for you. I am sure you will find a few options and just see at that point what you feel most confident with.

San Francisco area for a week then in San Antonio a couple weeks later

Best advise would be to hit a variety of sticks, including GI's and blades. That is going to be the only way you are going to know if you are ready to step up to a blade. I am currently compiling a list of sticks I want to hit and the list is made up of both GI irons and irons that would be referred to as player irons. As has been debated here before, there really is no handicap threshold for what type of iron you play. The only thing that can really tell you what club you should be gaming, is your swing and your swing only. There are just way to many variables in each persons swing for there to be any advise other than hit a bunch of sticks and go with what you hit best.

Yeah so far my list is:
Cleveland CG Blacks and CG16's
Callaway - Forged and Razr X Blacks
Titleist - AP1 and AP2
Mizuno - MP-59's and JP-800
Adams - not sure yet but really like their Hybrids
Ping - Anser
Wilson - Ci11

Any you think I should add?

Taylormade R11, MC's and MB's.
Nike VR Pro Cav's and Combo's.
Bridgestone J40 CB's and DPC's.

I've tried all of these plus the ones you have listed except for the Pings. Just not a Ping fan.

Good luck with your search... it's the best part of buying clubs.

I personally went from Titleist AP2's to Rocketballz just there and so far i am very happy with the change. The AP2's were just not forgiving at all for me and i play with a fade also but sometimes it moves in to a slice. Going by that alone i would recommend testing the RBZ irons, check out the review on them as the testers are absolutely killing it!

Yeah so far my list is:
Titleist - AP1 and AP2
Ping - Anser
Wilson - Ci11

Looks like you got the list pretty well covered. I know a few of our testers here at THP! are getting ready to take the Ping i20's for a spin, so keep your eyes out for that, as it may be another set you could add to your list. I think if you were wanting to progress into a more players iron type of iron but not lose the forgiveness of a GI iron, from what I have read, the Mizuno JPX 800 Pro might be something worth looking at and taking for a spin. I know they are on my short list. Like I said, you will just have to hit them and goes with what works best for your swing and ability. You have a good list there. Go hit the piss out of 'em! Good luck.

There is a Golftec location in San Antonio. They have great reviews here and will offer a unbias fitting. Anyone who has done it on here says that it was worth every penny.

So I got to hit some clubs today and check fitting requirements.
Tried:
Titleists AP1 & 2
Wilson - Forged MB & Ci11
Callaway - Forged Razr X & Razr X
Taylormade - R11, MC, MB
Mizuno - JPX800 & Mp-59
Ping - i20
Cleveland - CG16 Tour

It came down to the last two and I still haven't committed to either.
Both have good carry - about 20yds up on the others and my current club (was 165yd - these are at 180 (ping) & 185 (CGs) )

The ping was lighter shaft and hence overall felt easier to swing but the Cg16 felt more solid with each hit.
The bad shots were better with the CGs but fewer with the Ping (only mishit one).
Spin was far greater with these than previous clubs.

I was swinging at an avg of 80-81 mph, spin was 2800 (CGs) or 3000 (ping) and hence the CG distance was a little greater.

Cost - $95 (AUST) a club for the CGs, $130 (AUST) for the Ping.

Think I will end with the CGs but the ping did fell really good.

I still want to try the Adams (local shop doesn't have these) so may have to find a dealer to give these a go.

There is a Golftec location in San Antonio. They have great reviews here and will offer a unbias fitting. Anyone who has done it on here says that it was worth every penny.

If you are in San Francisco first, I'd recommend going to Golfsmith/Golftec in San Carlos/Redwood City (a little south of the city), San Jose (further south) or east across the bay into Pleasonton. If you get fit early in your trip, you might be able to get them to ship your custom built clubs to the Golftec in San Antonio.

My fellow hackers -

The ministry of finance (my wife) has given me permission to buy a new set of irons next time I am in the US (April). Before I get there need to try a few irons sets out so I am sure what I want but where to start is the big question.

A few details about my game - am a 14 marker, I play RH and have a fade (it can get to be a slice but I have straightend out a lot in the last year). I am 6ft tall and my current irons have 2 inch extentions (which I love) but the workability of them is just not there (they are henry griffitts IS-1s that were fitted about 3 years and double handicap ago - was off 28 at time).

My big decision is do I go Game improvement or step up to a CB/MB type club. Not sure I am at the stage of wanting/needing blades just yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Congrats on lowering the index in half - great accomplishment.

To answer your question, as a general rule I think a 14 handicap that plays a draw / fights slice should stick with GI clubs unless you find something else that really knocks your socks off. I think that player profile will more commonly benefit from the GI features than the ability to shape a shot. No offense intended, in a past life I was in the same boat :)

For what it is worth, I've read that the I20's are a very nice blend of the two, although I haven't hit them myself.

First off, go to Golf-Town hit as many irons as you can.. What ever gives you the most confidence and feels the best there's your awnser.

I'd suggest the Taylormade R11, Things a beast super forgiving and very easy to move the ball where you want it! Its like a player iron mixed with a really forgiving iron in one.

Definitely hit the Adams CB3's before you make a final decision !!

Congrats on lowering the index in half - great accomplishment.

To answer your question, as a general rule I think a 14 handicap that plays a draw / fights slice should stick with GI clubs unless you find something else that really knocks your socks off. I think that player profile will more commonly benefit from the GI features than the ability to shape a shot. No offense intended, in a past life I was in the same boat :)

For what it is worth, I've read that the I20's are a very nice blend of the two, although I haven't hit them myself.

Handicap index had nothing to do with personal choices or how a club feels in ones hand. I have tested and feel in love with a perceived GI iron (R11). I have also seen a 15hdcp handle a set of Mizuno MP 33 like it was his job. If he found the fairway he hit the green.
So being a 14 should not preclude one from buying non GI irons. If I learned anything during my time on THP it's that you never know until you personally try them out and get a proper fitting.
All that being said I find it amazing that the I20s were 20 yds longer than the R11s.

Yeah so far my list is:
Titleist - AP1 and AP2
Ping - Anser
Wilson - Ci11

I would add the Ping i20, Taylormade R11, Bridgestone J40 .

Is there a reason that at that height you were fit for +2'' clubs? Did they check the lie on your set and adjust if needed? At 6'4'' I have been fit 3 times in the last couple of weeks by different companies, and never fit for +2''...

Handicap index had nothing to do with personal choices or how a club feels in ones hand. I have tested and feel in love with a perceived GI iron (R11). I have also seen a 15hdcp handle a set of Mizuno MP 33 like it was his job. If he found the fairway he hit the green.
So being a 14 should not preclude one from buying non GI irons. If I learned anything during my time on THP it's that you never know until you personally try them out and get a proper fitting.
All that being said I find it amazing that the I20s were 20 yds longer than the R11s.

Sorry if my answer was misleading, I wasn't intending to say it precludes one from buying a club type. But generally a handicap tells us something about skill level. Clubs have different characteristics to meet different skill levels/types. For example, we wouldn't expect the average 30 handicapper to be able to handle blades.

Well fitted and purchased - ended up with Adams MB2's that rusty look.
These clubs felt great and I could open them up lofting high, keep them low, hit draws or cuts with ease.
Proper fitting has me with 1/2" length extensions with standard lie. Grips will be golf pride's and a little thinker than standard.

In the end it was the feel that got me, the i20's felt good but a little light, the weight in the Adams just felt right (D2 weight).

I also got 558 wedges in 50, 54 and 58 to replace my aging ones. Overall good day, can't wait to get them out on a course.

Congrats on the purchase and happy hitting.

BTW... where in OZ are you?

Congratulations on the new sticks. Get a pic up, I like the look of the MB2s muchly! Hope they treat you right.

Back