I hit a 7 iron higher than most of you guys hit a PW, so that goes to show you that I have a really high ball no matter what. I'd be perfect with a 9 or 8.5* but the cheaper route is the new shaft. Looking at an Aldila NV65 S plus to boot my old shaft is a R flex, my swing is too fast for it.

yeah... that is exactly why I went for a heavier V2 to knock down the ballflight. Saved myself a couple hundred bucks that way...

I hit a 7 iron higher than most of you guys hit a PW, so that goes to show you that I have a really high ball no matter what. I'd be perfect with a 9 or 8.5* but the cheaper route is the new shaft. Looking at an Aldila NV65 S plus to boot my old shaft is a R flex, my swing is too fast for it.

God, my old Warbird had an R flex in it. I couldn't afford to play with that club anymore because of all the balls I lost.

I was always taught that you could use a R Flex up to 90 or so. I have thought about going back to one or getting a shaft with some major play in the tip.

I'm of the opinion that the shaft influences the ball flight more than the loft.

I was always taught that you could use a R Flex up to 90 or so. I have thought about going back to one or getting a shaft with some major play in the tip.

at the time I bought the driver I was at 92-95, I was borderline stiff. Now I am at 95-100.

Have played with a lot of shafts and one manufacturers regular isn't necessarily like anothers.Even from the same manufacturer different shafts won't play necessarily at the same flex as stated.An example I know personally would be an Accuflex Icon lite a 45g shaft in stiff plays more like a regular while their Creation at 65g in regular plays more like a stiff flex.

jeffann,
That is a very good point. That is why I like what Graphite Design did with their Aura line. I really hope that OEM's take notice of it.

My driver is 10.5. For some reason I hit my driver lower than most people, but yet I hit the irons higher..:confused2:

I use a 10.5 Burner w/Aldila NV 75 S. It seems to work for me, hit it 240, seems like a pretty good ball flight. Went with 10.5 on recommendation from my golf coach, instructor, teacher, what ever you want to call him.

I'm of the opinion that the shaft influences the ball flight more than the loft.

That along with swing path.

Looking at an Aldila NV65 S plus to boot my old shaft is a R flex, my swing is too fast for it.

You could do a lot better than an NV shaft.

I started with a 10.5° reg flex shaft and had a bad slice now I use a 10.5° stiff shaft and hit straight 90% of the time. so I will stick with a 10.5°. Never had the urge to try a 9.5° would it make a big difference in distance?

Not necessarily Atticus. If you are straight 80% of the time, I would not change much.

would be nice to break 290 yards though. I cant seem to break 290 no matter how hard I swing it always comes up 285 or so it seems.

played a 10.5 g10 over this past summer and fall, but i have always been more of a 9 or 9.5 guy. right now i am playing a 9.5, because i hit the ball pretty high so with a v2 shaft and the 9.5 degree i have found the happy medium that gets it up but rolls when the conditions are good

would be nice to break 290 yards though. I cant seem to break 290 no matter how hard I swing it always comes up 285 or so it seems.

I'm a pretty long hitter and I'd take a 285 yd average any day. :D

I hit a 9* stiff and I can get it up in the air(usually). I would like to go on one of those machines that measures the spin, launch angle, etc to really see if it's the ideal driver for me.

maybe he likes it? i know i do in my hybrids

Or maybe he hasn't played a better shaft & should sample a few? The NV is a low budget shaft that will vary in flex from shaft to shaft. There are better options out there that can be picked up for the same amount or just slightly more. Easy enough to find Proto's on ebay or elsewhere for damn near the same $$ & those are far superior.

Or maybe he hasn't played a better shaft & should sample a few? The NV is a low budget shaft that will vary in flex from shaft to shaft. There are better options out there that can be picked up for the same amount or just slightly more. Easy enough to find Proto's on ebay or elsewhere for damn near the same $$ & those are far superior.

What do you have in mind?

shafts are a lot of preference too. i have a 19* hybrid with the nv in it and i hit it around 235-240 or so, i love the ball flight also. and i have hit many different clubs with nv's in them and they all felt the same to me.

10.5* with a Speeder 652 Stiff in it.

Got fit for it all on a Launch Monitor and I average about 250 off the tee.

10.5* with a Speeder 652 Stiff in it.

Got fit for it all on a Launch Monitor and I average about 250 off the tee.

that is a nice shaft... must have set you back a few paychecks

I'm still searching for an Oban revenge... we'll see if I ever get my hands on one

I currently have two drivers that I rotate in & out of my bag. I have two Callaway FT-i drivers, one in a 11 degree loft and the other 9 degrees of loft. Both drivers have the Fujikura Speeder 586 shaft.

I hit both drivers the same distance and get the same amount of roll from each. I was fitted for each of these drivers on a launch monitor. My launch conditions was comparable, the amount of spin on the ball was below 2500 rpm on each.

Depending on the weather and course conditions dictates which driver I use. If the course is hard and fast or if it is windy, I can lower my launch more with the 9 degree versus the 11 degree.

I will start the process of looking for a new driver in the next month or so. My coach stated that for the optimal amount of distance with a driver, the decent angle of the ball is key. I forgot the optimum number, but will ask, so I can provide it to you guys.

IMO, the problem with most drivers is the loft is not accurate. You might purchase a 10.5 degree, but when you have it digitally measured it will be closer to 12 degrees. I believe the manufactures know the ego of us golfers and most of us will not hit a high loft driver, so they secretly add loft and stamp a lower loft on the head.

that is a nice shaft... must have set you back a few paychecks

I'm still searching for an Oban revenge... we'll see if I ever get my hands on one

I love that shaft man. And I picked it up for $150 installed in Maui, and I had saved all year for the trip so I had plenty of money to put it in my D2.

Back