TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Fairway Wood Review Thread

searching these bad boys on eBAY .... lots of good prices for USED clubs, that's OK with me as long as it's still 'sound'

I see them with this description:

TAYLORMADE BURNER SUPERFAST 2.0 15* 3 WOOD MATRIX OZIK XCON 4.8 REGULAR

(sorry for the big letters, it's just the way it pasted in here)

what's the difference between the 'stock' shaft and the one in this listing ?

I know this is a 'difficult question' but I feel the need to ask ...

Due - what shaft is in the club you're playing ?

What shaft would one consider with a swing speed in the upper 90's

Mikey, mine came with the stock Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 shaft in regular flex. As far as the right shaft for you, I can really only suggest you stop by a local shop and hit one if at all possible to see what fits. My swing speed is similar to yours it sounds, upper 90's with a driver, and this seems to fit very well, but ss is really only part of the question. A lot will depend on how aggressive your swing is, all though this club is one that I really have to "Lay Off" and just smooth my swing way down or I not only lose distance, but I tend to cut the ball.

Mardin, nice write up dude. 2 strokes off your score is very cool and not surprising at all to me. "A Hot Face", that's exactly what I thought and the first thing everyone say's when they hit mine, lol. Congrats on the club, I know you will love it.

Mikey, mine came with the stock Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 shaft in regular flex. As far as the right shaft for you, I can really only suggest you stop by a local shop and hit one if at all possible to see what fits. My swing speed is similar to yours it sounds, upper 90's with a driver, and this seems to fit very well, but ss is really only part of the question. A lot will depend on how aggressive your swing is, all though this club is one that I really have to "Lay Off" and just smooth my swing way down or I not only lose distance, but I tend to cut the ball.

Thanks for the earlier advice on focusing on tempo. You're right you don't need to swing this club hard. Just make contact with the ball and let the club do the rest of the work. This FW is a beast.

Thanks for the earlier advice on focusing on tempo. You're right you don't need to swing this club hard. Just make contact with the ball and let the club do the rest of the work. This FW is a beast.

It sure is. At 5'6" tall, I too was skeptical of the longer shaft and it took me a while to figure out how to hit this thing, lol. My last time out, playing into a heavy wind, I caught myself trying to blast this thing and it earned me a tough lie from the right rough for my trouble. I tossed a second one down and against that wind I still got out there over 210.

I hope to get the chance to compare the new RBZ 3w head to head soon, that should be a great test.

Golftown has a promo on right now. Compare the RBZ 3W to what's in your bag. I took my Burner 3W and my wife's new SF 2.0 3w to compare. 5 balls each after a warm up period. The RBZ was 10 yards longer at an average of 236 to my Burner and 5 yards longer than the 2.0. I can hit the 2.0 as I am the same height as you. The SF 2.0 is $178 as compared to the $260 for the RBZ. I found the RBZ to be a very nice smooth club. Did reach down and pound out a 250 yarder with it. They are handing out TM RBZ polo's for taking the challenge, pretty sweet deal!

Golftown has a promo on right now. Compare the RBZ 3W to what's in your bag. I took my Burner 3W and my wife's new SF 2.0 3w to compare. 5 balls each after a warm up period. The RBZ was 10 yards longer at an average of 236 to my Burner and 5 yards longer than the 2.0. I can hit the 2.0 as I am the same height as you. The SF 2.0 is $178 as compared to the $260 for the RBZ. I found the RBZ to be a very nice smooth club. Did reach down and pound out a 250 yarder with it. They are handing out TM RBZ polo's for taking the challenge, pretty sweet deal!

Wow, great info. I wish we had a Golftown close to here, but will have to find my way to Golf USA and see what they have. Thanks for the comparison, sounds like the RBZ is every bit as long as they say!

Wish I had to same results as you did with the RBZ.
I was so ready to buy them, but my first demo just didn't turn out too well.
But again, I'm holding off any judgement until I give them another try.

@omikey
I also love my 2.0 hybrids. Never has my 205 and 215 yd shots been this easy!
Btw, the Matrix X-CON 4.8 shafts are stock shafts.

I hear great things about the challenge. I'm not really in the market for a 3W as I just got my 2.0 real cheap (via trade). But I am curious to how well the RBZ will challenge my 2.0. If the RBZ does perform around 17+ yards better, I'd consider taking a few swings again with it next year once the price drops. I'm going to Golf Galaxy next week so I'll try and test them out head to head.

Wish I had to same results as you did with the RBZ.
I was so ready to buy them, but my first demo just didn't turn out too well.
But again, I'm holding off any judgement until I give them another try.

@omikey
I also love my 2.0 hybrids. Never has my 205 and 215 yd shots been this easy!

I know that's right !!! AWESOME huh :joy:

Btw, the Matrix X-CON 4.8 shafts are stock shafts.
OK, Thanks !!

I hear great things about the challenge. I'm not really in the market for a 3W as I just got my 2.0 real cheap (via trade). But I am curious to how well the RBZ will challenge my 2.0. If the RBZ does perform around 17+ yards better, I'd consider taking a few swings again with it next year once the price drops. I'm going to Golf Galaxy next week so I'll try and test them out head to head.

I had a chance this morning on the range to hit the RBZ 3w head to head with my Cleveland HiBore XLS very hard to tell but I believe the RBZ was a bit longer, CEARLY NOT 17yards more. Not so much more that I thought, ha, for $200 they can keep the 5yds difference.

The ball flight was different for sure. It Seemed to me that the RBZ was just a tad bit higher than my HiBore and seemed to be more 'penetrating' too. Again, there was NOT enough difference for me to be enticed to even THINK about buying the RBZ. I was hitting them both right about 200yards. On number 10 this morning I hit my HiBore 233, that's BIG for me, REAL BIG !!

OK, Thanks !!

I had a chance this morning on the range to hit the RBZ 3w head to head with my Cleveland HiBore XLS very hard to tell but I believe the RBZ was a bit longer, CEARLY NOT 17yards more. Not so much more that I thought, ha, for $200 they can keep the 5yds difference.

The ball flight was different for sure. It Seemed to me that the RBZ was just a tad bit higher than my HiBore and seemed to be more 'penetrating' too. Again, there was NOT enough difference for me to be enticed to even THINK about buying the RBZ. I was hitting them both right about 200yards. On number 10 this morning I hit my HiBore 233, that's BIG for me, REAL BIG !!

Is the RBZ lighter than your current 3W. The 2.0 is much lighter than my last FW, but I really like the weighting in the head of the club, so it feels like i'm actually swinging a golf club and not a tooth pick.

Got out late last week again and this club was hit or miss for me. I'm still adjusting to the length of the club, so a easy tempo and sweeping motion were hard for me to find when I just want to kill every ball with this club. Off the tee, I can't believe how good it is. I hit it off the tee on 3 holes and just absolutely destroyed the ball. The ball went straight and long every time. I was avg about 225 off the tee with this club (which is insane for me). Hitting the ball off the deck with this club requires a bit of a learning curve.

Since the length of the shaft is longer than my hybrids you need to slow down your tempo when swinging this club. Most of my shots off the deck were fairly low stingers that sliced maybe 10 yards off course (not bad considering my last 3 wood put many a ball into the trees.) I've been using the club on long par 5's, short par 4's, and tight tee shots. The balls are jetting off the face and don't balloon as you might possible expect with a club like this. The ball finds a solid trajectory and penetrates. My best shot of the day came off the deck hitting into 15mph wind. I hit a 215 yard bullet that hit the front of the green and rolled to the center of a large green.

Finally getting the hang of things with this club. It has been a work in progress the past 3 rounds but I've developed good tempo with it. Heres the key to swinging this club, don't swing hard. The more you focus on trying to crush the ball with this club, the more things could go wrong. I hit a few really great shots with this club. I'm averaging about 200 off the deck and about 215-220 off the tee. Hit some beautiful tee shots with this today, and I even started to work the ball a bit. The ball comes off the face so hot it feel like you haven't hit anything, it's so pure and explosive. I've still yet to hit the Rocketballz 3-wood but it's hard to believe that TM could outdo this club. It has helped me get more GIR's on those long par 5's.

Some nice write-ups Mardin, great to hear you have this club figured out. It ws so tough for me to figure out that you simply can't and don't need to lean on this club. I'm not sure if its the shaft or the face that causes it, but my ball flight is dead straight unless I try to smoke it and then it a fade, so guessing shaft. I actually can't turn the ball on command unless I do that very thing on purpose, lol. I've yet to hit a draw with it and thats my favorite shape with driver through hybrids, but straight is fine most of the time from 220 out.

Some nice write-ups Mardin, great to hear you have this club figured out. It ws so tough for me to figure out that you simply can't and don't need to lean on this club. I'm not sure if its the shaft or the face that causes it, but my ball flight is dead straight unless I try to smoke it and then it a fade, so guessing shaft. I actually can't turn the ball on command unless I do that very thing on purpose, lol. I've yet to hit a draw with it and thats my favorite shape with driver through hybrids, but straight is fine most of the time from 220 out.

I turned on one yesterday and hit a dead pull hook. I bombed it, I measured it and it was 235 off the deck (insane distance for me). But the distance didn't mean anything when it was a good 50 yards left of the hole. Keys to this club 1. calm down 2. swing in tempo 3 Release. The club will do the rest of the work. I have a round scheduled for tomorrow. The course I play tomorrow has very tight fairways and with the way I've been swinging my driver I might be pulling this guy off the tee a few times.

Agreed. I'll hit it just perfect, dead straight and long. Then i'll try to crush it and it'll start slicing and going off course etc. It's a great club for sure!

Had another chance to put this club in play this past weekend. It was a bit rainy but this club again proved it's mettle in any type of weather. I utilized it in just about any type of lie. Downhill long par 5, uphill par 4 off the tee, ball in a divot. I'm averaging about 210 off the deck with this club and it has changed the dynamic of my game. I reached the green in 2 on a short par 5 and didn't think twice about it. I'm really noticing how well the long shaft accentuates the club head speed, even when I'm just giving this an easy swing. The only thing I am having trouble with is completley turning my hips with the longer club, this resulted in a little bit of left to right ball movement (and on one ocassion a "baby slice").

After giving up on my driver halfway through saturday i was averaging only 10 yards less using this, but actually in the fairway.

After giving up on my driver halfway through saturday i was averaging only 10 yards less using this, but actually in the fairway.

I've been destroying this club off the tee on short part 4's and tight/tricky FW's. I'm hitting this club maybe 15 yards less off the tee than my driver. I'm also hitting a nice fade with the club off the tee, this club has been a par 5 killer recently.

I finally got a chance to give the RBZ another try... and I ended up buying them.

I constantly hit the 19 degree 3 hybrid in the mid 240's. Even hit 253 once!
It will not replace anything since I always wanted to drop a wedge, and I was using a 4H (21) and 5H (24) as my 3 and 4 irons anyways.
If anything, I'll need a new 3w. Guess I'll be testing the RBZ 3w sometime soon.

I do feel much more confident hitting with the SF 2.0 hybrids and 3 wood.
The stiffness, weight and length of the RBZ psychologically makes me feel I'll have to work harder to get the ball flying, whereas I just know the SF 2.0 will shoot the ball out in to the air with ease no matter what (and it really does).

Yet, the ball somehow gets out there a bit longer with the RBZ.

In the end I've got to say the SF 2.0's are one of the easiest to hit and long clubs (hybrid, wood).
The RBZ hits a bit longer but with less of the confidence you get with the SF 2.0.

I finally got a chance to give the RBZ another try... and I ended up buying them.

I constantly hit the 19 degree 3 hybrid in the mid 240's. Even hit 253 once!
It will not replace anything since I always wanted to drop a wedge, and I was using a 4H (21) and 5H (24) as my 3 and 4 irons anyways.
If anything, I'll need a new 3w. Guess I'll be testing the RBZ 3w sometime soon.

I do feel much more confident hitting with the SF 2.0 hybrids and 3 wood.
The stiffness, weight and length of the RBZ psychologically makes me feel I'll have to work harder to get the ball flying, whereas I just know the SF 2.0 will shoot the ball out in to the air with ease no matter what (and it really does).

Yet, the ball somehow gets out there a bit longer with the RBZ.

In the end I've got to say the SF 2.0's are one of the easiest to hit and long clubs (hybrid, wood).
The RBZ hits a bit longer but with less of the confidence you get with the SF 2.0.

So you have more confidence with the 2.0. I would think most people would say they have more confidence with the RBZ because of the shorter shaft. It takes awhile to get used to the 2.0 shaft, but once you do, it's a beast of a club.

So you have more confidence with the 2.0. I would think most people would say they have more confidence with the RBZ because of the shorter shaft. It takes awhile to get used to the 2.0 shaft, but once you do, it's a beast of a club.

Well, I was talking in terms of distance, since that's what TM is focusing on with the RBZ.

For me it was the weight of the shaft, swing weight and different flexes (or even flex points) that made the 2.0 easier to hit further. A slow, smooth and easy swing really launches the ball far with the 2.0. The same swing the RBZ weren't as satisfactory as I hoped for.

But, I do see how the 2.0 shaft is harder to hit straight. I really was fighting hooks and big draws at first (I slightly open the club face at address now).

In that regards, RBZ was easier to hit straighter.

The first time I tried the RBZ it felt heavier and stiffer, which affected my swing speed and feel.
Initially, all that really bothered my swing and the resulting distance.

I just bought the SF 2.0 3W today. I have tested it a few times, but only on the launch monitor. Easy to work right and left with an average distance of about 235 and a max distance of 266. Very nice club. Before I purchased I tested 5 other clubs and my final three was the Callaway Diablo Tour and an Adams Speedline. The SF, Adams, and Callaway were all about the same distance wise, but the SF was the easiest to work both ways.......definitely easier to draw. The other two I had to really work at drawing the ball and the flight was much lower as a result. The adams had the highest avg ball flight, but again, was very hard to work right to left. I hope to take the 2.0 to the range later today to see a few real shots.

I just bought the SF 2.0 3W today. I have tested it a few times, but only on the launch monitor. Easy to work right and left with an average distance of about 235 and a max distance of 266. Very nice club. Before I purchased I tested 5 other clubs and my final three was the Callaway Diablo Tour and an Adams Speedline. The SF, Adams, and Callaway were all about the same distance wise, but the SF was the easiest to work both ways.......definitely easier to draw. The other two I had to really work at drawing the ball and the flight was much lower as a result. The adams had the highest avg ball flight, but again, was very hard to work right to left. I hope to take the 2.0 to the range later today to see a few real shots.

This is great to hear, although I have a hell of a time drawing this club. Straight or a controlled fade is no problem, but draw is virtually not possible fr me. Congrats, hope it works great in your game as I love mine.

I went to the range last night and the club worked just as it did on the launch monitor (loved the ball flight); however, it was raining last night and hands got a little wet. That's when I realized I didn't like the Taylormade Winn Grip that comes with it. I went back to where I bought it and asked them to put the RED Golfpride VDR grip on it and it feels much better. The stock grip gets a little slippery on the black area when it gets wet......I can feel my hands slipping at the begging of the downswing, but only where where my right thumb and trigger finger sits. If I didn't live in the Pacific Northwest, I probably wouldn't care, but it tends to rain here a bit and it would have been a problem quite often. I will take it to the course tomorrow.

This is great to hear, although I have a hell of a time drawing this club. Straight or a controlled fade is no problem, but draw is virtually not possible fr me. Congrats, hope it works great in your game as I love mine.

Back