Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

I dont know if I'd say super forgiving lol. I still lost some big yardage but a mishit on a MB is just downright brutal. These were just more forgiving than the MB's.

Yeah sorry if it sounded like I think they are SGI forgiving haha not quite. I find CB's either go one way or another. For example the TM CB's are more forgiving than the Titleist CB's from the few times I've hit them. Not sure if you're ever hit the TM CB's, but sounds like they are closer to them.

Tmex - I'm tied up right now, but I'll be interrogating you later. Can you post the numbers w/o a screenshot when you do? I can see PB pics here.

Great write up Yoccos. Thanks.

Nice write up Tmex, and yes I want juiced up sim numbers:alien:
These definitely screen confidence at address, a great looking iron set.
When you say you lost 20-30 yards on your miss that was with the CB?

Yessir lol with the CB. Thats my big miss that will just creep up. Usually it hooks but every now and then it will shoot right.Its not fun but like TC says below the design of the 6i CB certainly assisted me in some spots. Its not going to fix it but the same miss on the MB is night and day.

Awesome stuff Tmex, and I think some pre MC prep work is just what the doctor ordered my man. One thing I find fascinating about the CB's is how the iron head progresses in shape from the scoring irons to the mid irons to the long irons. I think that's where a lot of that extra forgiveness comes in that you were seeing. The best thing is that the CB's just give you a full cavity. That's a lot of perimeter weighting that's there to help the golfer. I'm glad you got the chance to put your hands on them and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write this up for us. I like those ball speeds dude. Right on par with the i20's I reckon.

No problem man! The Ballspeeds were pleasing and so was the carry. It might be different on the course but I'd definitely be using a different shaft. Not big on the DG overall but it worked good with the clubhead. I saw these on the shelf and really liked what you were saying with the progression. Its there but its not huge which gives the irons a really uniform look.

Yeah sorry if it sounded like I think they are SGI forgiving haha not quite. I find CB's either go one way or another. For example the TM CB's are more forgiving than the Titleist CB's from the few times I've hit them. Not sure if you're ever hit the TM CB's, but sounds like they are closer to them.

Not at all dude! I've hit the whole TM line and these 588 CB's for me, fall in line with the TM MC more than the CB. I even think these look a bit sleeker.

Tmex - I'm tied up right now, but I'll be interrogating you later. Can you post the numbers w/o a screenshot when you do? I can see PB pics here.

Yessir! dude I can just throw them in excel and get some averages in a bit. No need to post a screen shot unless you want to see AMP numbers mixed in with this! LOL.

Great write up Yoccos. Thanks.

Dude, you have no idea how much I envy these getting into your hands!

Wow, nevermind haha Looks like I misunderstood your original post on feel and forgiveness.

Yoccos, can't wait to see your numbers! I am counting down the days until I get mine.

Nice write up there Yoccos. I can't say I am surprised about your feelings towards the CB's over the MB's.

Yoccos, can't wait to see your numbers! I am counting down the days until I get mine.

LOl im tryin man.. You figure work would leave me alone! This is crucial! Dude, I'm daydreaming about these irons right now.

Nice write up there Yoccos. I can't say I am surprised about your feelings towards the CB's over the MB's.

Thanks dude. I'd go MB in 8,9,PW. Minimum 9 and PW lol.

LOl im tryin man.. You figure work would leave me alone! This is crucial! Dude, I'm daydreaming about these irons right now.

I get that bromeo.

I thought about a combo set with MB's as the 8, 9, and PW, but ultimately decided that the CB's in the scoring irons will give me a bit more forgiveness than the MB, while still giving me the accuracy and consistency I desire. I don't know if I am correct in my thinking, but I don't think an MB would give me anymore benefit in accuracy, consistency, or workability than the CB would. And, I don't feel I'm a good enough ball striker to rock the MB's even 8-PW.

Nice little write up TMex. Sounds like an impressive iron for sure. Did you take any action shots?

I thought about a combo set with MB's as the 8, 9, and PW, but ultimately decided that the CB's in the scoring irons will give me a bit more forgiveness than the MB, while still giving me the accuracy and consistency I desire. I don't know if I am correct in my thinking, but I don't think an MB would give me anymore benefit in accuracy, consistency, or workability than the CB would. And, I don't feel I'm a good enough ball striker to rock the MB's even 8-PW.

Agreed, it just depends on someones swing.. what they prefer at address etc.... I feel I can easily rock a 8i-PW MB with my misses and what they entail lol. Bad results even if I truly had a shovel in my hand.

Nice little write up TMex. Sounds like an impressive iron for sure. Did you take any action shots?

No sir just my usualy number catch haha. The fitter kicked me out multiple times so he could chat with his friend about people taking advantage of him. Not the same fitter i had last time. He hates me even taking pictures of the monitor.

No sir just my usualy number catch haha. The fitter kicked me out multiple times so he could chat with his friend about people taking advantage of him. Not the same fitter i had last time. He hates me even taking pictures of the monitor.

Wtc? I dont like this place hermano.

Wtc? I dont like this place hermano.

Me either. I get why they hate people coming in and just hitting stuff but its better than no traffic. If they're nice I usually leave with at least something. Just mind bottling. I dont always think its online low prices that kills these stores... its their customer service.

Me either. I get why they hate people coming in and just hitting stuff but its better than no traffic. If they're nice I usually leave with at least something. Just mind bottling. I dont always think its online low prices that kills these stores... its their customer service.

Youre making so much sense. Did you eat a breakfast burrito today? Maybe don't realize who you are? They finally no better then to deny Kmac at my GG. And now they have the new launch monitor so its always running. So much easier to get some good hard results. mmm

Youre making so much sense. Did you eat a breakfast burrito today? Maybe don't realize who you are? They finally no better then to deny Kmac at my GG. And now they have the new launch monitor so its always running. So much easier to get some good hard results. mmm

Exactly! I think if anything the more they get people to demo and not feel bad about the more likely a purchase. As much as I love low prices, I love the ease of trading in equipment, getting a bonus trade in amount and walking out with instant gratification! I'll do that in store anytime to get my gear right away.. even the stock stuff haha.

Tmex - thanks for hitting them buddy! Here we go.

Are the grips Crosslines? Black or the Black/White?

Do you remember the V2's much? If so, how does the size from heel to toe compare? Same with the sole.

Did you ever hit any sort of straight balls on the toe or was it when the hook came into play?

I know you said the spin numbers might be wonky, but can you tell me a number anyway please :)

I wonder what you'd see with a different shaft as well, though I'd be pretty happy if I could get my launch right around the higher end you were seeing. Sounds like they were precise for you as well. If you ask about about a combo set ever, see if there are options with combo or if you have to go with the 7-PW in the MB's. Just curiosity.

Tmex - thanks for hitting them buddy! Here we go.

Are the grips Crosslines? Black or the Black/White?

Do you remember the V2's much? If so, how does the size from heel to toe compare? Same with the sole.

Did you ever hit any sort of straight balls on the toe or was it when the hook came into play?

I know you said the spin numbers might be wonky, but can you tell me a number anyway please :)

I wonder what you'd see with a different shaft as well, though I'd be pretty happy if I could get my launch right around the higher end you were seeing. Sounds like they were precise for you as well. If you ask about about a combo set ever, see if there are options with combo or if you have to go with the 7-PW in the MB's. Just curiosity.

Hawk! I'll get the numbers up I promise I'm just multitasking a ton now but lemme do the best I can :)

Their were standard lamkin crossline (not cord) and they fit well imo. I forgot how much I liked those grips. just disliked when I didnt have the glove on haha.

I do remember the V2's but without putting them side by side I can't say for certain but they really seem to set up the same. I just get a sense the 588's are a bitmore compact. BUt honestly its just a feel or my eyes playing a little trick on me. You wont have any issues transitioning.

When I missed off the toe, it was a hook. Again thats more a swing thing for me. I know I hit some off center but i didn't notice it impacted ballflight, the perimeter waiting I suspect has some to do with that. The MB's were much, much harder on those misses and they would be a low screaming hook compared to the CB's.

That leads me into whether or not I'd do a 7-PW in MB's. I wouldn't. I'd feel a lot better with the perimeter weighting of the CB's in my 7i. The distance seemed about the same and I think a mixed for me would be 5,6,7 in CB and 8-PW in MB. I'll definitely ask about that combo set though. I think when you do custom order it wont matter as the sets are the same amount price wise. I'll definitely see though!

Spin 5200-5800 usually. I had one in the 6600 range though.

Hope that helps some Hawk!

Thanks buddy. I'm mulitasking as well right now lol. I'm not sure, but I don't know if you can choose the combo set or if it's already determined by the company. No hurry on the other stuff. I'll be on and off all afternoon.

LOL... I'll post numbers (screenshots so Dean doesnt go crazy) but here are my thoughts. CB only. I can compare to the MB if you'd like too just let me know.

Looks:
First of all... WOW. Sleek, streamlined, bad @ss, pure, ball killer.. etc... I could go on and on but easily some of my favorite looking irons out right now. They just scream hit me and man, at address... Confidence. The MB and CB looked similar with the CB being just a smidge thicker. They frame the ball really nice and it just makes you also realize, there isn't much room for error lol. Smaller irons are pleasing to some and intimidating to others, count me in as the pleasing crowd. The lamkin grip just tops the look off. Loved it in every aspect.

Sound/Feel:
Tadashi had described these as industrial before and I think thats a great description. It's like hitting nothing on a well struck shot and even those off center a definitely more of a cracking thud. Much like the J40 DPC's but I'd say those are a bit higher pitched. If that makes sense. You can definitely feel a miss but its not jaring and something I really appreciated.

Performance
:
I hit the 6i from both of these sets and they both were about the same yardage wise. If I went stock I'd count on about 170 carry each time. The 6i was pretty easy to hit imo. The DG S300 was pretty good spin wise but its hard to tell on those golfsmith monitors. Ballspeeds were ranging from 115 to 121 and the launch was around 16 my first little session and 18 the next. One thing that is great is how consistent these irons are. I had some that my miss showed up (big draw) but usually it was a pretty good grouping. When I post the screenshots I only kept 3 shots but they give what I was seeing and while I had some mishits, they were even consistent. I know the DG shaft had a lot to do with what I was seeing and would love to see the KBS Tour (I was fit for) and PX (the PX I was fit for) in these clubs. Time to dail up Cleveland!

What you get out of these is nothing special distance wise but when you're playing this type of iron, being in the same spot is what you count on... No worries here. The swing you put on the club is the ballflight you get. Meaning, you leave that face open it'll fade or if you go with that draw/hook it'll do that. Ultimate control. I dont mean to work the ball ever though, its just that you know you're not gonna get any type of bias with these. I really think if I got a proper fit it would make that ballflight I was seeing even tighter.

Forgiveness:
This is relative to a lot of players. My miss is that big hook or I hit off the toe I think. I dont know where I hit it off center actually, basically my clubface is closed throughout the swing and its bad. HAHA. It doesnt happen often but even the CB's couldnt fix stupid. The misses like that I lost about 20-30 yards and it was hook. Not as forgiving as my ZStars but when you compare the CB and MB... the CB really shines there. That miss shows up in the longer irons and for that I'd easily go CB... I might even just do CB throughout. I dont know. The MB really punished me on those mishits and it could've been I was just tired hitting them at the end but the CB's definitely outclassed the MB's in this area.

OVerall:

For some reason I feel like Im not doing these clubs justice. I really want more time with them and honestly, I'm considering these. I don't think I'd put them over the i20's but I'd be stupid not to do a proper fit and see what happens. This could be the ultimate prep for the J40 CB's.

You mention both the Bridgestone J40 dual pockets and Ping i20s. How would you compare them to the 588s in terms of forgiveness, distance and feel.

These are the 3 sets I am considering at present and won't get a chance to hit them before making my choice.

The sales guys/fitters always bellyache! Keep doing your thing tmex. Glad you had a chance to hit these. Looks, feel and performance = satisfied MCrs

The sales guys/fitters always bellyache! Keep doing your thing tmex. Glad you had a chance to hit these. Looks, feel and performance = satisfied MCrs

Lol they sure do. I don't mind leaving because I know he has to work, but then to openly grumble?? I'm guessing thats the reason he doesnt get many satisfied customers!

You mention both the Bridgestone J40 dual pockets and Ping i20s. How would you compare them to the 588s in terms of forgiveness, distance and feel.

These are the 3 sets I am considering at present and won't get a chance to hit them before making my choice.

The i20 7i distance I saw was consistent between stores so Im going to use the stores numbers as my basis for comparison. I wont give numbers, if you want I can, but for now it'll just be relative. The 588 6i is a few yards shorter than the DPC and its actually the same distance (monitor wise) as the Ping 7i. I'd have to double check the lofts but I suspect that has something to do with it when you're looking DPC vs CB. The i20's are just long period.

Forgiveness is hard to say. The i20's seem to lead there for my miss. I rarely have hit a bad shot and even outside... I was making consistently good contact. The DPC's might be a bit more forgiving as I noticed the 20-30 yard drop off on my big miss with the CB's and the DPC's didnt seem to lost that much.

The i20 7i distance I saw was consistent between stores so Im going to use the stores numbers as my basis for comparison. I wont give numbers, if you want I can, but for now it'll just be relative. The 588 6i is a few yards shorter than the DPC and its actually the same distance (monitor wise) as the Ping 7i. I'd have to double check the lofts but I suspect that has something to do with it when you're looking DPC vs CB. The i20's are just long period.

Forgiveness is hard to say. The i20's seem to lead there for my miss. I rarely have hit a bad shot and even outside... I was making consistently good contact. The DPC's might be a bit more forgiving as I noticed the 20-30 yard drop off on my big miss with the CB's and the DPC's didnt seem to lost that much.

Thanks for the reply. It seems that the i20s are longer and more forgiving then. I suspected it would be so but was kind of hoping the 588s would come out on top!

Thanks for the reply. It seems that the i20s are longer and more forgiving then. I suspected it would be so but was kind of hoping the 588s would come out on top!

I know what you're saying! They're different irons so it depends what you're looking for. While they might not be as forgiving or as long, you may like them better if you hit them side by side. I much prefer these in looks and I think the i20's look slick.

Back