Ping ANSER vs Tour S Wedges

djbush

Reaction score
Handicap
I switched from Cleveland Irons to Ping S56 Irons last year now I want to upgrade my wedges from Cleveland to Ping, but I cant decide between ANSER and Tour S. Any advise?

The Ansers come with DG Spinner shafts - and they're $169/each.

and so worth it - at least I hope so because I have a couple on the way...

The Ansers come with DG Spinner shafts - and they're $169/each.

Don't buy them just on the premise of forged. You make so many half swings that forgings nearly negated in wedges. Ie. Why Bob vokey hasn't made a forged wedge. But asside from that the anser wedge has a hair more offset than the tour s and are a little more forgiving. Those spinner shafts are nice though. Lol I got to swing them at a ping demo and I think the stock grinds in the tour s is better than the anser

I hit them both today at a Ping demo day. Tour S with the "rustable" finish had a distinctly softer feel which the rep said is due to the type of metal used to give it it's finish. The Anser did not have a "forged" feel that I've had in my Mizuno irons over the years. I expected that just because it was "forged" it would have a better feel and thought going in it would be my choice, but after hitting them for awhile, I loved the feel of the Tour S MUCH better. Also, about the Spinner shafts, like the rep said, it makes the biggest difference for those who have a shallow swing path. Those who have steep swings won't see as much difference. Im getting two Tour S with the KBS. Hit them both! You'll be surprised, and may save yourself $50/ club! One more thought, Ping has released a newer, legal, Eye 2 sand wedge with the new grooves. The rep said at the demo day, and one I talked to on the phone, that it's amazing out of the sand!

Have owned them both and prefer the Tour S.

I just got the 52*, 56*, and 60* Anser wedges and love their balance and feel, especially the 52* from 110 yards. I went to Carl's Golfland with the prime objective of getting the Taylormade ATV wedges and tried the Anser, Tour-S, Cleveland 588 Forged, and some Vokeys for side-by-side comparisons at greens 110, 75, and 40 yards. I was most accurate with the Anser. Then I tested them all from the sand and also some lob shots to a shortsided pin. The ATV 56 won my sand challenge and the 60* Anser won my flop challenge. Both Ping models are awesome, but I bonded with the Anser right away. That model just happens to fit my swing best.

Last edited:
I hit them both extensively and prefer the Tour S. I like the heavier shaft in the Tour S, and the feel of the club itself is much better.

Try both models because wedges are an extremely personal choice. When I test new wedges I mimic all of the shot situations that I'm inconsistent with. Distance control has been my fatal flaw on 110 - 100 yard shots and has kept me stuck at a 6 hdcp. I couldn't say one of these Ping models is better than the other, just that the Anser performs better for me. The Tour-S wedges are fantastic. I happen to be more accurate with the Anser and can control my distances better with that model. With the Tour-S I was either short, long, or the ball would roll out too much from my problem yardages - in other words, the same problems I was having with my TaylorMade TP RAC wedges. Of course the cause of that could be many variables, but I found that I don't have that happen when playing the Anser wedges.

The Anser's toe weighting in conjunction with the DG Spinner shaft may simply be my perfect storm. On less than full shots I can feel the toe weight help the ball out of tight lies, deep rough and sand instead of trying to help it with wrist hinge - a subconscious problem I've struggled with recently and only realize it happens on video. I took my instructor with me to the test range and he observed that my hands and wrists were quietest with the Anser. It's almost like the Anser wedges chose me!

Last edited:
Love my 56 Tour S. I have the KBS Tour and I love the weight of the shaft and head. Great out of the sand and on chips. I use it on everything from 85 yards in. I had a Cleveland 588 56 that I had for 10years and I like the Tour S better.

My recommendation is to wait for the new Ping wedges with the "Gorge" grooves to come out. They are the upgrade to the Tour S wedges and supposedly spin a bunch more and are very durable.

I switched from Cleveland Irons to Ping S56 Irons last year now I want to upgrade my wedges from Cleveland to Ping, but I cant decide between ANSER and Tour S. Any advise?

I just changed from CG 15 Zip Groves 52,56,60 Degree wedges with Project X Shafts 5.5 shafts to Ping Tour S with KBS Tour Stiff Shafts 52,56,60 Degree. I tried hitting the new Answer Forged wedge and the Ping Eye2 remake and hands down the Ping Tour S was by far the best choice in regards to feel, distance contral and cosmetic set up. I also tried the new Ping Tour Gorge wedge and even it did not appeal to me as much as the Ping Tour S wedge. I had the option of a DG Shaft, Ping Shaft, or KBS and I feel in love with the KBS Tour Stiff that was available with the Ping Tour S wedge. I have played in two scramble tournaments and chipped in two shots from outside 80 yards and have put the ball within a 15 foot radius of the pin on my approach shots. The club head on the Ping Tour S cuts through the fairway and produces great shots out of the rought. I my problem with the Answer was that the Forged head did not have the crisp feel that the Tour S had and I was able to use the demo club in the rough and did not get the great feel that I had Tour S wedges. I have Mizuno TZoid 2 irons and the feel forgings is not even comparable. I don't care for Ping Forged clubs because I think the feel is not yet perfected.

What was bad about the gorges compared to the tour s?

Just tappin away

What was bad about the gorges compared to the tour s?

Just tappin away

Good Question,

Appearence was great and almost identical to the Tour S but it did not produce consistent shots out of the rough. The Tour S glided through the rough and the fairway alot easier than the Gorge. I also thought the Gorge Tour wedge had a harder feel comming off the face.

I will say the appearance of the Gorge was very nice but it did not have the same feel. The other thing that may play a part in this is the fact that the Gorge wedge did not have a KBS Tour Shaft like the Tour S model I decided to go with.

As I have mentioned in other posts the KBS Tour Shafts have a great feel and response to them.

just bought the 60* yesterday. Best club in the bag. and I have the most confidence in it.

Back