JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So last night at dinner we learned about a new company that has a pretty interesting product called The Big Putt. What is it? Its an oversize golf ball with dimples removed. I made some calls today to some players and everybody I spoke with said the same thing. "The thing just works". By removing the dimples, the slight mis-hits will be more emphasized and the word we got, is if you putt well with this thing, when you are on the course, you will putt lights out.

We spoke to The Big Putt just now and they are sending some over to review. We will have more when we receive them.

Quite another interesting twist to the world of golf. Im interested, more in the sence of curiousity, But very cool idea! Do you believe this can go far?

• Admin
I dont know. However back in my HS and College days i played basketball. I remember picking up a girls ball (slightly smaller) one day and making everything in site with it. So in theory it would work well as a practice tool.

That's very true and a good way of looking at things with this type of ball design. I see it as another tool of learning the game in baby steps, or a way in boosting a players confidence on the range before hitting a round.

That's very true and a good way of looking at things with this type of ball design. I see it as another tool of learning the game in baby steps, or a way in boosting a players confidence on the range before hitting a round.

Agreed, this seems very interesting, but can't this be done with just something simpler without paying the money JB? I mean because it's a training tool specifically designed for golf, I'm guessing the price will be a bit high.

Why wouldn't a tennis ball work fine?

I guess if we are talking in terms of Distance/Stroke training for putts, a tennis ball just isn't the same.

• Admin
From everything I have been told, this thing will work because of many of the attributes involved. They chose a precise size, and texture for the ball based on trials by many top pros.

From everything I have been told, this thing will work because of many of the attributes involved. They chose a precise size, and texture for the ball based on trials by many top pros.

So it still has a cover like a normal ball?

• Admin
No it is smooth.

Thanks for the link Smalls, after the last two days I really need to practice putting

THis plus the Heavy Putter will have you sinking everything in site MO.

Thanks Small, it's like like a big Lacrosse ball I see.

Furyk used a tennis ball as well. I guess it's basically like that.

Except the weight remains the same as the regulation golf ball (plus there's no compression issue as with a tennis ball), so the distance of the putt should be more like what you would get from a regulation ball.

Just need more practice. The first few holes yesterday and today have been rough until I get a feel for the greens and the putting stroke. Yesterday was worse than today though, I only had two 3-putts today.:D

That's funny I just used one of these on Saturday, I will probably pick one up.

Where did you end up playing MO?

Saw the commercial for this on TGC today. It is quite funny.

Saw the commercial for this on TGC today. It is quite funny.

I also saw an ad in GolfPunk for it, so they are marketing in the UK as well.

Good commercial, good idea. If you can't make the hole smaller...

I believe I've seen that slogan running on a billboard in the San Fernando Valley. (For the pop cultural illiterati,lookie here.)

WSE, I'll play McMahon to your Carson any day. As long as I don't have to sell my gold golf clubs.

:angel:

WSE, I'll play McMahon to your Carson any day. As long as I don't have to sell my gold golf clubs.

:angel:

Ha ha. Very funny commercial!

[YOUTUBE]40p4lNlXobQ[/YOUTUBE]

Back