Fairway Wood Shaft - Ballooning

mrvandelay

Reaction score
Handicap
My 3-wood, Mizuno JPX 800 15*, has an Exsar FS5 shaft. It's 65g Stiff Flex, "mid" launch - 3.5 of torque. I hit this club really straight - off the deck or off the tee. It does, however, have a flaw. It balloons about 2/3 or 1/2 way through the flight. The initial launch is good, but then it heads even higher before falling nearly straight down. It's still going quite a ways - I'm happy with the distance, but I feel like there could be more there. I'm aware my AOA is probably somewhat steep, but I don't have the issue with my driver or hybrid.

I thought about throwing a ProLaunch Red in it to see how that worked, as they're cheap, but a Low/Low shaft may not be the right choice. Is there such thing as a mid launch/low spin shaft? Which come to mind?

Prolaunch Red
VS Proto
Diamana White
Proforce V2

Matrix X-Conn 5 or 6 would be good, and possibly one of the Matrix Radix series.

I think I'll try the PL Red - cheap experiment.

Also, what about the Kusala Blue 72s?

I think I'll try the PL Red - cheap experiment.

Also, what about the Kusala Blue 72s?
Depending on the flex code it is usually mid launch, mid spin shaft. Its an awesome shaft if its right for you.

Depending on the flex code it is usually mid launch, mid spin shaft. Its an awesome shaft if its right for you.

Yea it's mid-launch but I wasn't sure on the spin.

Also, anyone know if the JPX800 FW head is considered high spin?

I find the blue to be mid launch, but low-mid spin personally.

They call it high launch and low spin, but I have always found the head to be mid-high spin personally.

You know better than I, just going off the fitting chart I have, and they all seem to be different. I'd listen to JB though.

You know better than I, just going off the fitting chart I have, and they all seem to be different. I'd listen to JB though.

It could also be that folding lawn chair I call a swing. If I had a swing like Cookie, it might be more accurate to that chart. You know text book in that way.

It could also be that folding lawn chair I call a swing. If I had a swing like Cookie, it might be more accurate to that chart. You know text book in that way.
LOL, repped.

They call it high launch and low spin, but I have always found the head to be mid-high spin personally.

Thanks for both answers! If the head is mid/high spin perhaps the PL Red will work out well. Hard to beat for $30.

Yea it's mid-launch but I wasn't sure on the spin.

I find it to spin a lot, but that's with a higher spinning Fubuki shaft.

Back