4 wood replacement - something more forgiving than a Mizzy MP?

David81

Reaction score
After huge success with the MP630 fast track driver, I picked up a MP630 4 wood at bargain basement prices last year. Whilst I can get into a rhythm with this club and hit it well down the range, on the course it is a little too much club for me. It really is designed for someone that wants to shape shots, I hit fades and draws all the time ... only problem is that I'm usually trying to hit is straight. I'm looking for something to fit between my 4 iron and driver to simply go straight and "get it up there"! Any suggestions? Perhaps the Adams XTD hybrid, it sounds like it might fit the bill (I also get on well with the made for Fubuki shaft in the Mizzy so the stock shaft might be a good match).

Last edited:
If you want length, look at the RBZ or Cleveland FL.

Tour Edge 4 at 16.5 degree. I love mine and don't see it going anywhere soon.

would also suggest the Mashie F5.

Agree 100%.

Have also heard a lot of good things about Bridgestone J40 4w, though someone else might be able to comment more about it.

I have never hit FW woods very well, but recently put a RBZ 4-wood in the bag and have been very happy with it. No problem getting it up in the air, or hitting it straight. For whatever reason I fight the snap-hooks with FW woods, but even though the RBZ seems to set-up closed at address, I've hit pretty much but nothing but solid, high, and most importantly, straight shots with it. On our course 3 of our 4 par 5s require a very accurate second shot. I used to hit hybrids or mid-irons for fear that my FW would put me in the woods. So far I've been able to hit the RBZ with confidence; it hasn't failed me yet. It's certainly worth a look.

Tour Edge 4 at 16.5 degree. I love mine and don't see it going anywhere soon.
+1 My :touredge: 16.5* XCG-3 is the most forgiving fairway wood I've tried.

P.S. If you can afford the :adams: XTD fw give it a try, I've heard wonders about that one...

I've tried a few over the past year. The :ping: G20 5 wood is easy to get up, long, and its size inspires more confidence than smaller more "workable" gamer FW woods. That said, I'm currently depending more on my :adams: a12OS hybrids for long straight second shots. Had one on a par 5 yesterday that beat any FWW shot I've ever hit on that hole.

I had the same experience with some MP titanium fairway woods I picked up off the pre-owned rack a couple months ago. Awesome clubs, with nearly maximum COR, but very hard to hit straight. I agree with the G20 and Adams suggestions, and would also throw in the Mizuno JPX 800s, which can be found pretty cheap right now. As you can see from my sig, I'm using them. I love the stock shafts, they have a very similar feel as the Mizzy MP woods, and they are extremely forgiving.

Lots of good FW choices out there these days.

Edit: I'm an idiot, because I don't think Mizuno offers the JPX 800 in a 4 wood....still a good fairway wood, though, unless you are adamant on getting a 4.

Last edited:
Callaway RAZR hybrid, either the 2h or 3h. I think this is getting surpassed on the popularity meter by other brands more recent releases, but this is the easiest club to hit I've ever swung. And the ball goes high and straight. Great club.

I'd do a G20 4 wood at 42.5" (-0.5" from standard). Thing is a bomber.

Another recommendation for the Mashie FW here. What a great club. F7 made me hybrid-less.

titleist 910h hybrids. i can't speek for the woods, but i sure am loving the hybrids i got last week.

Some good recurring recommendations there gents - thanks, looking forward to trying them out.

Got to take a look at some of these today, but unfortunately not hit them. The Cleveland looked like the best fit on paper (easy to hit straight off the deck), but in the store, none of their clubs suited my eye (the std. grip/shaft also felt somewhat unusual to me??) ... the RBZ if a little big, was probably best in this respect. I could live with the Ping G20/Titleist/Callaway offerings - just need to hit them now!

I had a lot of trouble with fairway woods and hybrids as I have only been playing for a year .....I hit irons OK and have a good driver shot ......I went to a Ping G20 in a 5 fairway wood to begin , and hit it very well ..... I looked at the shape of the head , and realized that I could get a similar shaped head by getting a Maltby Fairway wood .....I know some folks may turn their noses up at Maltby products , but I bought a 5 and a 3 Fairway Wood , and hit them BOTH further than I hit the PIng and with great accuracy !!!
I also use the forged wedges from Maltby and I am deadly with those !!..... I know I am just starting out , but if I can hit them well , you seasoned players should be able to REALLY DO WELL with them .....Jim

Just about anything is going to be more forgiving than your MP630. Theres a reason why its an MP wood. Beyond that, try out as many as you can and go with what you like best. Theres lots and lots of options out there.

Another vote for the Mashie. Pick whichever one suits your distance needs the best. They're all pretty easy to hit off of the deck.

I have the RBZ 3W as well, and it can be a challenge to get off the deck easily. Takes a bit of practice. I think that the HL would mitigate that some though.

Finally, if you're looking for a cheaper option, check out last year's Cobra Baffler line. The FWs are low profile and super easy to hit off the deck, for me at least. I still hold onto my Baffler 3W and put it in play every once in a while. Not the longest stick out there, but consistently easy to hit.

I will be getting the 17* Cleveland FL Launcher with Miyazaki shaft next paycheck. It will sadly be replacing my old Callaway Titanium 16.6* 4 wood.

I made the swap from a traditional 3-5 wood setup to a Ping G-15 4 wood with a GD YSQ 65g shaft and have not looked back. The versatility of G-15 is outstanding, I find it to be a point and shoot club from both the tee and fairway.
I also find the club to be quite predictable when choking up for a touch of distance control.

There are some great deals out there right now on this club as well. You could purchase the G15 and upgrade the shaft for approximately the same price as a stock G20.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
+1 on the G20. A really nice club. I had a MP 3 wood. I loved the distance it gave but to inconsistent for me as well.

Callaway RAZR-X hybrid, either the 2h or 3h. I think this is getting surpassed on the popularity meter by other brands more recent releases, but this is the easiest club to hit I've ever swung. And the ball goes high and straight. Great club.
I agree with this. I have a RAZR-X 3 Hybrid and it is very easy to hit. I hit my 3H about as far as my old 5 wood so you're probably looking for a 2H. I play a 3W and hit it fine but I find that when it is damp, i have a terribly hard time hitting my 3W from the fairway without hitting it fat (I seem to have this issue with any fairway wood I hit). However I have no issue hitting my hybrid when it is damp outside. Something else to think about.

Back