Golf GPS devices or phone Apps

Thanks for the tips on GolfShot. I use GolfLogix now and it is just meeehhh.

I got a chance to try Golfshot Sunday on my iPhone 4S (Verizon). I was really impressed with this, having no prior experience using a GPS.

We were playing in a best ball scramble, and my cart-mate had a Garmin GPS. It was a great opportunity to compare the two because 1) we were all hitting from the same spot, and 2) it was really slow (5+ hour round) so we had a lot of time to look at the two GPS readings while waiting for each shot.

First, I do not understand why people are having battery life issues with this app. I used mine for over 5 hours, and had no problem. My phone was not fully charged when I started, and when I was done, it was at 45% battery.

Second, as someone who is 52, I was concerned about how easy it would be to use Golfshot without reading glasses. Fortunately, I could see it just fine. It was an overcast day, so I could not assess how this app would be in direct sun.

Most importantly, regarding accuracy, I would give this app a B+ grade. The issue is how long it took to get a good reading. I would "wake up" my phone while we we driving to the ball. It would give a preliminary reading, and then a minute later, would give a correct reading. There was no delay with the Garmin. For example, on this one hole, the first reading it gave me was maybe 202 yards. The Garmin said 187. We were in front of the 200 yd marker, so we knew that 202 could not be correct. After a bit, it gave me a reading of something like 188. When Golfshot gave me its revised distance, it was always within 2 yards of the Garmin. The initial distance was not always this far off -- this hole was the worst example. There were some trees and hills at that particular one. However, in this case, if I had not waited, I would have used too much club.

I am thinking that if I was walking, I would not have this issue.
There is a setting in Golfshot GPS regarding time in background. Setting "GPS in background" to a higher value like 1 hour makes the GPS work all the time in the background (unless you have an hour break between shots:). This gives an up-to-date GPS information but drains bettery life. Setting it to a lower value like 1 minute then it stop and restart between every shot and thus gives an incorrect value first and then after more reading a more correct value.

There is a setting in Golfshot GPS regarding time in background. Setting "GPS in background" to a higher value like 1 hour makes the GPS work all the time in the background (unless you have an hour break between shots:). This gives an up-to-date GPS information but drains bettery life. Setting it to a lower value like 1 minute then it stop and restart between every shot and thus gives an incorrect value first and then after more reading a more correct value.

Thanks. I will give that a try.

golfshot... only GPS i use on my iphone also keeps track of my handicap.

I have a GPS but I am thinking about selling it and using my phone gps w/golfshot or executive caddy. The thing that I like about the apps is that I can track my stats and such and keep a HDCP easily. I DL'ed exec caddy and will try it on my next round, if I don't end up liking it I guess I will try out Golfshot.

I love golf shot and with golfscape it's awesome
I havn't tried golfscape. According to information it's only a visual aid, no more info about current hole. Please explain why it's so awesome.

Because when you have it installed and your using golf shot there is a target button you can push hold the phone up hold it towards the flag and it gives you your distances to bunkers and what not. Hope that makes sense.

I've had my golfshot on my iphone for 2+ years. I love it. It is always right on matching with yardages on sprinker heads.

I guess i gotta try Golfshot. I use GolfLink which was $10/ish (i think) and works pretty damn well for me.

I have a Golfshot question. If I play a round with a buddy and track his score too, can he login to his golfshot account and see the round?

I have a GPS but I am thinking about selling it and using my phone gps w/golfshot or executive caddy. The thing that I like about the apps is that I can track my stats and such and keep a HDCP easily. I DL'ed exec caddy and will try it on my next round, if I don't end up liking it I guess I will try out Golfshot.

Ive been using exec caddie for about 20 rounds now and The only thing it doesn't do that golfshot does is club tracking. It's complicated getting a tee shot distance but getting your second or even 3rd shot yardages is nearly impossible without doing math and whatnot. BUT I'm not sure that's worth the 30 bucks. At least not right now it isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just dl'ed caddie pro. Will try and use it this weekend and see how it is and if it's worth it since its free

I have a Golfshot question. If I play a round with a buddy and track his score too, can he login to his golfshot account and see the round?
I am not sure but try this. First from the web add your friend. Then when starting a new round see if you can add the friend created on the web. Complete round and save data. Let the friend look at his account on the web/phone.
It would be nice if it worked. I have no friends with golfshot tomtest with.

I use Mobitee on an iPhone. I use it for yardage and map only, however it appears to have club/shot Tracking capability as well.

Golfshot

I've been using MyCaddiePro for a while, but tried Executive Caddie (free version) this weekend. Although EC does a little better with the stats, I thought it was much worse for the main GPS function. You can't measure distance to arbitrary points. You can't plan your layups, simultaneously seeing the distance from your ball to the layup spot and from there to the green.

In response to an earlier question, a buddy of mine has golfshot and he asked me for my email and that of my two other friends playing with us one day, he logged all our emails in seconds right there on the first tee and by the time we were all putting the head cover back on our putters on the 18th green, we had all four golfshot scorecards emailed to us, pretty cool.
I personaly like swingbyswing, it's accurate, gives me yardage to bunkers,water, to pin and front middle and back of green.

here is what golfshot support says;

Unfortunately there isn't a way to import rounds for secondary golfers who have their own Golfshot account. This means if you want to track yours statistics you will need to manually enter each round on your own device.

is it possible to track the distances I hit with my clubs at the driving range using golfshot app or does it only work on the courses?

Golfshot GPS. But I think that I'm going to supplement with a laser rangefinder this year, because Golshot is only as good as the latest database it was provided

is it possible to track the distances I hit with my clubs at the driving range using golfshot app or does it only work on the courses?

You can add manual distance measurements, but you may need to create a 'fake' round to do so.

Golf shot is great! I love the club tracking. It's like having a caddie with you.

Thanks for this - I'm downloading golfshot as we speak. I will impress the clients I'm taking out on Thursday.

Phone Apps/GPS

Phone Apps/GPS

Do you guys use any phone apps during your rounds? I see in some of the HOTD vids that most of you have a GPS? Is one any better that the other?

Back