Putter Shoot Out?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We really want to do some Putter Shoot Outs. However with putters being so personal and looks being so subjective and crazy, that we want input on how to do it.

We are leaning towards 10 putters based on performance only. Line up 5 balls at 5, 10, 15, and 20 feet. Have 10 golfers try each club at these distances and base them strictly on performance as in best results.

But we are open to suggestions on how you would like to see it done.

I would really like to see a wedge shootout!

However, I have no idea how to do a putter one.

From Golf Warehouse. 2008 selling chart
Top 10 Putters:

1. Odyssey White Hot XG Putter
2. Ping Karsten Series Putter
3. Ping I-Series Putter
4. Odyssey White Hot Steel Putter
5. Odyssey White Hot Tour Putter
6. Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth Putter
7. Odyssey Marxman Putter
8. Nike Ignite Putter
9. Odyssey Black Series Putter
10. Odyssey XG 2-Ball Putter

I would say there is enough variety in style here. Maybe add a Cameron over the Nike, a YES! over an Odyssey, and a couple of other brands mixed in, lots of Odyssey represented here.

• Admin
We prefer a lot of the smaller brands.
SeeMore
GEL
YES
Nickent
SSB
etc....

Putter-wise I'd like to see a SSB, Nickent, GEL, Cameron, Heavy Putter, and then maybe some other popular ones such as Odyssey.

I suppose the only Odyssey required based on usage would be the 2-ball, seem to see alot of those. Have seen several Ping Anser's this year as well.

You can't forget that putting has alot of variables to it. If you sink a 15 footer, you have to think, was it you? Was it really the putter that made the difference? Or was it plain luck? And if you don't have any skill at putting, there isn't a putter in the world that can help you make a putt, so a putter shoot out is really tough to put together in my opinion.

• Admin
That is why people will hit multiple shots from multiple spots. When we did our first SeeMore putter review we did it based on people using their putter and then the seemore and determined which one put it closer to the hole.

What about an "Anser"-type shootout?

As we discussed before, pretty much every company makes an Anser type putter. It's such a popular style/shape for so many players. Pick a handful and try them for feel, distance, and accuracy. Just off the top of my head that gets you:

Ping (at least 4 models currently)
Mizuno/Bettinardi
Cameron
Odyssey (at least 3 models available)
Cleveland
Nickent
SSB
Heavy Putter
Rife
YES!
Taylor Made
Nike (?)
Tour Edge
Byron Morgan
Ray Cook
Goode
GEL

etc, etc, etc.

I can't see any putter test being viable. They are so personal & everyone has their favorite style I think it would be hard to stay objective. Plus someone who is good with a putter could use a 2x4 & still putt well.

I can't see any putter test being viable. They are so personal & everyone has their favorite style I think it would be hard to stay objective. Plus someone who is good with a putter could use a 2x4 & still putt well.

I agree. Putter test = impossible.

What about an "Anser"-type shootout?

yeah, but not everybody can putt, or does putt with an Anser type putter. i know i cant putt with one to save my life. i think a mixture would be best for everybody.... this will be a difficult test.

I agree, it'll be tough. The putter might be the most personalized club in the bag.

Maybe a combo chip, and putt shoot out might be more truth telling. Plus I don't think it has ever been done. The short game is so important to scoring, and includes both chips, pitches, and putts for the higher handicap golfer. As far as putters, "FOR THE MONEY" there are not to many putters out there better than the Odessesy 2 ball putter. I say this because, as already posted, putting, and putters are so individualized, a shoot out strictly for putters is pretty much meaningless. Plus the two ball putter has already been a winning putter in quite a few tournaments. I averaged 28.9 putts per round with a Tour Edge putter. I now play with a Odessey 2 ball, and I still average 28.9 putts per round. Why did I change? because the Odessey was on clearance for $49.00, and I had slammed a car door on my Tour Edge Back Draft ( by accident) and I needed a putter.

As far as a chip & putt combo shoot out you might start with 5 balls, 5 yards from the fringe, then 5 balls from 7 yards , and finally 5 balls from 10 yards from the fringe. Total up all your chip, and putt strokes, and divide that number by the number of balls (15 balls in this example) used from those distances. An average score of 2.0 is perfect. An average score of 2.5 is tour caliber, and 3.0 is a higher handicapper's score. In other words a "short game handicap" for the two clubs used in the shoot out. :comp:

I think it would be a fun curiosity. In the end, I can't imagine anyone making a buying determination based on results, but it might encourage someone to consider a putter they wouldn't otherwise. I think your suggested methodology is as good as any, JB. My only suggestion would be that you might consider letting everyone take 5 or 10 warm up rolls with each putter before the putts that count are recorded so as to minimize the dissonance of moving from one putter to the next.

provisional said:
As far as putters, "FOR THE MONEY" there are not to many putters out there better than the Odessesy 2 ball putter.

Im not sure that I agree with that assessment at all.

Aren't there several incarnations of the two-ball as well? I don't even know the difference between all of them. Depending on the model they range (new) around here from 99-299. That's a lot of room to work with and most putters fall within that range. I really like the 2 ball i-black series. I may pick that up next.

Personally, I can think of at least three "bang for the buck" putters I'd rather have than a 2-ball.

Putter shoot-out

Putter shoot-out

I don't believe that this test would be very interesting if the putters selected were based on their respective sales. I don't want to see the results of everyday putters, many of us have already used/owned most of these. Let's see tests of putters we are less likely to buy, unless the numbers suggest otherwise.

So, please don't kill us with Callaway's, TM's and Pings, let see the Seemores, the Gaims, the Rifes, and the YES' and the lesser known brands that we are less likely to buy.

+1 for RIFE, best putter I have ever used.

I remember seeing on TV a putting robot alot like the Iron Byron. Maybe you guys could use one of those to eliminate the human variable to the putting test. All it was was a metal frame with a hinged metal "arm" where the putter was attached and would perform the "perfect" putting stroke everytime.

I don't believe that this test would be very interesting if the putters selected were based on their respective sales. I don't want to see the results of everyday putters, many of us have already used/owned most of these. Let's see tests of putters we are less likely to buy, unless the numbers suggest otherwise.

So, please don't kill us with Callaway's, TM's and Pings, let see the Seemores, the Gaims, the Rifes, and the YES' and the lesser known brands that we are less likely to buy.

I dont think you have to worry about that with us. If you look through our putter reviews, you will see that we try and get some smaller companies that people have not tried.

A Scotty must be in the mix. They made the milled Anser-styled putter into the industry it has become, and are the subject of endless complaint, admiration, envy, speculation, and irritation on every golf forum I know of. Let's put it to the test!

No questions WSE.

+1 for RIFE, best putter I have ever used.

I agree completely!

I've also liked the new TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider and Ping iWi Craz-E a lot more than the Odyssey 2-Ball putters I've tried. But it's such a personal preference it's hard to really say "X is the best putter".

I have a very big bias towards large mallet headed putters. Can't putt with a blade to save my life. Many others are the exact opposite.

Back