New Problem Hooking, What To Do?

Rob Wedge

Jersey
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure
I've been golfing my entire life with a major cupped wrist. I never had a problem with my irons, I actually had a very good iron game with a nice soft draw. The only issue I had was with my driver and a fat slice if I really went after the ball. To fix the slice issue I basically swung at 3/4 speed. Lost some distance but found the fairway way more often.
Since I started taking lessons a couple months ago my instructor has had me really concentrate on a nice flat wrist. This has been my only swing thought and has lately become second nature. I was very happy for the last couple weeks. Could really go after it with my driver, was finding the fairway more often then not and am out driving my playing partners by miles. But now my iron game has COMPLETELY fell apart. Everything is massive hooks which I never had an issue with. Even with full wedges I'm 20-30 yards left of the green. The only solution I have found is to revert back to my cupped wrist with irons and a flat wrist with my metals. I could golf like this but the issue is I find myself forgetting about course management and constantly having to remind myself of which wrist position I should be in. Has anyone ran into this kind of problem before? My instructor keeps telling me to just play through it, it will all works itself out. But I find myself skipping days I could go play because its embarrassing. I actually went to my course yesterday to play and left because I was hooking every shot with irons on the range before hand. My handicap has risen for the first time in years to a 11.9 and have lost all confidence. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So long story short, those who have had problems hooking the ball what did you do to correct it. Did you go to a more outside in swing? Different hand postion, maybe weaker?

When you say massive hook, what is your ball flight?

Starts off straight then takes a nice turn left. My shots have also been lower then usual.

Could be a grip position issue?

The first thing I tried to do was weakening my grip, a little more neutral. I also made sure the club in my left hand was more in my palm, if it's more in your fingers, the face closes like 30*, and with a combination of a strong grip the face was causing a massive hook. My thought is if you hit a natural draw, then you must be doing some good things, try weakening your grip and see if that helps at east straightening out your swing

Just to me, it sounds like you may be coming a hair over the top. I know for me, when I start to get those pull hooks, it's because I get lazy with my lower body. If I don't initiate my swing with my lower body and don't start my downswing with a bump to the left, I pull the ball bad.

I went through a similar change and was hitting to the left often after a swing change. My culprit was failing to get the hips turned, by not getting turned the club face will not be square. It takes time to get this second nature after swinging wrong for so many years.Hope this helps

What is your swing plane like? Flat, or steep? I'm guessing flat.

With your new wrist position, maybe you are releasing a bit earlier. If your instructor is advising you to stick with it...you probably should. Maybe hit an impact bag for a while.

The first thing I tried to do was weakening my grip, a little more neutral. I also made sure the club in my left hand was more in my palm, if it's more in your fingers, the face closes like 30*, and with a combination of a strong grip the face was causing a massive hook. My thought is if you hit a natural draw, then you must be doing some good things, try weakening your grip and see if that helps at east straightening out your swing

Always play with the grip from pointer finger to palm so I don't think its that. I'll have to check some video when I get home to see if maybe I am inadvertently doing this. Thanks

Just to me, it sounds like you may be coming a hair over the top. I know for me, when I start to get those pull hooks, it's because I get lazy with my lower body. If I don't initiate my swing with my lower body and don't start my downswing with a bump to the left, I pull the ball bad.

Good thought on the lower body. That is a possibility. May be concentrating so much on everything else and leaving my lower body behind.

Always play with the grip from pointer finger to palm so I don't think its that. I'll have to check some video when I get home to see if maybe I am inadvertently doing this. Thanks

Yeah I've been working on a swing that's less upright and yesterday a buddy of mine filmed my swing and sure enough, my swing was way too flat and you can see the ball roll in front of me

Having a video of yourself to review is so good for noting issues.

Good thought on the lower body. That is a possibility. May be concentrating so much on everything else and leaving my lower body behind.

I would start there. Just where I always go to.

i have been fighting a big hook myself .. tends to be body rotation with me and/or flipping at impact

What is your swing plane like? Flat, or steep? I'm guessing flat.

With your new wrist position, maybe you are releasing a bit earlier. If your instructor is advising you to stick with it...you probably should. Maybe hit an impact bag for a while.
Yes, my swing plane is very flat actually. We went through videos of pros and my swing side by side and it was actually a very good match with Kuchar's. Have to dig my impact bag out of the basement and spend some time on it.

I went through a similar change and was hitting to the left often after a swing change. My culprit was failing to get the hips turned, by not getting turned the club face will not be square. It takes time to get this second nature after swinging wrong for so many years.Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. The more you guys talk about my lower body the more I think that may be the problem. I haven't even thought of that this entire time and have been working on all upper body positions.

Back