I've been looking to get back into cycling again. I went and looked at a Trek Madone this weekend. Ouch. Who knew Carbon was so expensive.

Check out Craigslist. You can find some good deals on bikes there.

I also find it funny, but I don't yet wear shorts/bibs or have pedals with clips. I decided that I need to get used to riding again before I permanently attach myself to the bike. The shorts/bibs thing are something that will probably take even longer for me to aquire. Not because I don't want them but more along the fact that I haven't found that I need them yet. I'm sure as my distances increase I will reach that point,but I haven't yet.

When I first started mountain biking there was no way I was going to buy all the goofy clothes. Not only do they look funny, I thought they kind of sent a signal that you thought you were good or something (kind of like showing up at the golf course with a staff bag!). But, little by little, the utility of all the equipment began to shine through. After peeling a few soaked t-shirts from my body at the end of a ride, the lycra jerseys started to look attractive. I still sometimes wear baggy shorts with a cycling pad inner layer when I mountain bike, but if I'm on the road or doing some serious training on the trial, its the lycra bib shorts. And clipless pedals and shoes....if you want to keep up with other riders you've got to have them. Before I knew it, I looked like just like all the other serious riders.

But I don't shave my legs. Won't ever. I swear.

I won't ever shave mine either. It'd take like 4 razors to get through one leg. I understand the utility of the gear, I just haven't found the need for it yet as I haven't ridden for more than an hour yet. I'm sure once I find the time to hit that 2 hour+ mark, I will need nearly all of it. And I don't ride with groups right now. Usually it's me and the kids, or, mostly, just me. Looking forward to the day when I do eventually join a group ride. The owner of my local shop has been telling me every time I'm in there, "Come on out for a ride this week" but they all start before I'm even home from work.

I won't ever shave mine either. It'd take like 4 razors to get through one leg. I understand the utility of the gear, I just haven't found the need for it yet as I haven't ridden for more than an hour yet. I'm sure once I find the time to hit that 2 hour+ mark, I will need nearly all of it. And I don't ride with groups right now. Usually it's me and the kids, or, mostly, just me. Looking forward to the day when I do eventually join a group ride. The owner of my local shop has been telling me every time I'm in there, "Come on out for a ride this week" but they all start before I'm even home from work.

It's funny, when I first got in to cycling, my question to the guys who did shave their legs was "Can it really make you that much faster?" Then I learned the actual reason for why a lot of them do it, and it made sense to me. One of the biggest reasons a lot of people do that, is because of crashes and road rash. Trying to clean an open wound from a wreck that has hair in and around the area is difficult, and add gravel/dirt/sand to it, you will have a hard time keeping it clean. Being quite familiar with wound care as well as my wife being a former wound nurse, it makes sense for that reason. However, i think a lot of the guys that I see come in the shop do it because other people they ride with do.

Isn't that why most people do silly/strange stuff? Because others are doing it as well? LOL. I know I've done it at least once in my life. But that reason does make sense. I know I had a staph infection cut out of my leg last year, and they kept telling me to keep the area around it clean shaven, but never explained why. I then figured out why as I let the hair grow back. what a PITA to clean, and, was rather painful trying to take off the bandage when the tape was stuck to the hair all day long.

You don't have to shave... It's not for aerodynamics like swimming.

In cycling it's because it makes crash injury cleanup easier... Picking the rocks out, not ripping the hair out when you yank the tape off, etc.

spazzdog

Whoops! Just saw War Eagles response. Sorry for the repeat...

You don't have to shave... It's not for aerodynamics like swimming.

In cycling it's because it makes crash injury cleanup easier... Picking the rocks out, not ripping the hair out when you yank the tape off, etc.

spazzdog

Whoops! Just saw War Eagles response. Sorry for the repeat...
No worries!

I like to joke with the guys about it being about aerodynamics. Or, if it's an early morning ride, a good joke is "Why time do you make your wife get up to shave your legs." They dont laugh at that, but I do.

The obvious solution is to not wreck. Seriously, though, with the road rash I have had, a little hair on my legs was the least of my problems.

I enjoy showing up for road rides with my hairy legs, mountain bike shoes, and of course my 6'1", 210 pound body. People who have never ridden with me just assume I can't keep up. Towards the end of the ride, everyone wants to draft behind my (relatively) gigantic frame.

Love cycling. Have several giants.

The obvious solution is to not wreck. Seriously, though, with the road rash I have had, a little hair on my legs was the least of my problems.

I enjoy showing up for road rides with my hairy legs, mountain bike shoes, and of course my 6'1", 210 pound body. People who have never ridden with me just assume I can't keep up. Towards the end of the ride, everyone wants to draft behind my (relatively) gigantic frame.
Same here, Rusty. Im 5'10 and 225 lbs and my brother in law absolutely loves following behind me. He claims I create a wind tunnel and he doesnt even have to pedal. Haha.

Yeah Rusty, you would be the guy I'd have been looking to draft off of toward the end of those 100 mi rides :)

spazzdog

I think you've got the right idea. Just have fun with riding now and as you get more serious about it you'll find out what gear you need and what you dont. It took me a while before i warmed to the idea of clipless pedals, but now i would find it pretty hard to go back. And as far as apparel, you gotta just wear whats comfortable. I do a lot of 60-100mi rides and cycling shorts are a necessity, but i still wear them under regular shorts. Being in public in tight lycra shorts is just not for me, and it never will be.:act-up:

anyway, these things differ from person to person but i guess my point is what appears to be most popular isnt always the best for you. Obviously this is true for a lot of things, but i find the marketing in the cycling world to be especially bad. I do a lot of group road rides, and do just fine with my "mountain" bike shoes, wool jerseys, and "heavy" steel frame with 650bx42mm tires...yet there are always people at those rides that want to tell me that im doing it wrong. (I usually just smile to myself as i then end up passing them on the first climb)

I have my first duathlon in a couple of weeks, 5K run-30K bike, 5K run. I am a little concerned about running in the bike shorts with the pads. Has anyone done this and can you shed some light on tips?

I have my first duathlon in a couple of weeks, 5K run-30K bike, 5K run. I am a little concerned about running in the bike shorts with the pads. Has anyone done this and can you shed some light on tips?

hmmm...i havent done it but i would say since the riding portion is only 30k, i would focus on shorts that are most comfortable for running. Cycling or Tri-shorts are definitley good places to start but i would look for ones with minimal padding. Not sure of the terrain or your riding pace but 30k shouldnt be much more than an hour and minimal padding should get you by. I would think the alternative of running 10k with a lot of padding would be more uncomfortable.

Lookout for deals on www.chainlove.com (don't worry its legit) and get a tri suit. I just saw a LG Tri suit for $37 (retail $130). The deals change constantly so keep an eye out.

BTW, this site is associated with backcountry.com. so if something doesn't fit right, start up a chat and they will take care of you. These guys (steepandcheap.com, chainlove.com whiskeymilitia.com) have taken a TON of money from me the past 7yrs.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

Thanks for the tips! My brother in law told me that buying cycling stuff is addictive. I would have to say that so far its true, much like golf. Two great hobbies IMO.

Pondering a Trek 7.4 hybrid bike

Tapatalk

It is a great second hobbie and very complementary to golf. Neat to see some other cyclists here. I have a couple bikes myself. I have a 64cm Trek and a Gary Fisher 23" MB. It is addictive. New clubs, new bike stuff.........lol.

I really want to get a bike to go to and from work this summer but we don't have a shower at work and I'm having trouble finding a good deal on a roadbike or hybrid

I really want to get a bike to go to and from work this summer but we don't have a shower at work and I'm having trouble finding a good deal on a roadbike or hybrid

What's your budget? Performance Bike has some decent road bikes for under $1000. I think you can get a Fuji for $699 or so with their coupon specials they have every so often.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

I'm not sure I have to educate myself on bikes still since Ive been out of the loope for 4-5 years.. I want to get into a used one for 300-500 i guess but it's more a ponder unless I can find a great deal..

If you buy used just be sure the bike fits you properly... Well, you should be certain of that whether new or used. You don't want to cause physical issues with a poorly fitted bike.

Also, if you have back problems, you might check out recumbents. I have several friend that ride them... Very fast and comfy.

I just got this.
4746e367-e8d8-8bdb.jpg

I think I'll go for a short ride tonight.

Tapatalk

I just got this.
4746e367-e8d8-8bdb.jpg

I think I'll go for a short ride tonight.

Tapatalk
Nice bike Frank! Go for a 10 miler, its a nice quick warmup.

Nice bike Frank! Go for a 10 miler, its a nice quick warmup.

I'm gonna go do a few laps around the neighborhood to warm up, then start building up.

Back