Are Nike club really that bad??

Personally, I thought Nike's earlier equipment offerings (e.g. fairway woods) were pretty good, especially in the hands of lower handicap players.

Yeah, I put that wrong: they weren't right for the mid-higher handicap golfer

Yeah, I put that wrong: they weren't right for the mid-higher handicap golfer

I guess I am confused? When I started back at Golf, I played a set of Nike Slingshot HL irons. Large sole, very forgiving, and technically classified as super game improvement irons, marketed right at high handicap players.

I guess I am confused? When I started back at Golf, I played a set of Nike Slingshot HL irons. Large sole, very forgiving, and technically classified as super game improvement irons, marketed right at high handicap players.

I'm talking about 4/5 years ago, when Nike was still out of the GI business

I think Nike has released some very good equipment over the last 5+ years. Sure I think they have had some stinkers(IMO) but what company hasn't?

According to Maltby's database of irons that he's tested, the Nike Slingshot HLs were released in 2009 (3 yrs ago).

Sorry about that. I meant to say the Nike Slingshot OSS irons. Run along and check those dates for me too.

The Slingshots were good, easy to hit irons. Maybe not the prettiest irons but still good.

The Slingshots were good, easy to hit irons. Maybe not the prettiest irons but still good.

Not pretty at all but they flat out worked. They were pretty popular in my area b

Not pretty at all but they flat out worked. They were pretty popular in my area b

We still have a set of them in the house for those that are deemed not worthy of a better set. lol like in-laws.

We still have a set of them in the house for those that are deemed not worthy of a better set. lol like in-laws.

I have a set still in the garage. Of course I do though, what set do I not have out there?

Sorry about that. I meant to say the Nike Slingshot OSS irons. Run along and check those dates for me too.

No worries. It's all good. You did state earlier that you were confused.

ROFL!!!

I have a set still in the garage. Of course I do though, what set do I not have out there?
I have a buddy that still plays those irons, he loves them and makes it much easier for him. He isnt very good and he knows it so he has just stuck with them.

This past February, I brought my buddy, Pete to purchase some new irons. He looked at many brands which took him to getting some Nikes in his hands. They were Nike Pro Cavity for about $500. After trying them in the hitting bay and seeing good results from the simulator, he bought right there. As of the past few weeks, he's been pummeling me on our matches. I got him by 1 stroke yesterday, but WOW, is he loving his Nike Irons. *Note to self: get Pete to join THP and he can tell you how good his Nike's are playing.*

"Proper clubs like Titleist or TaylorMade"?
One would have to ask what would make them proper clubs? The metal they use? Yeah its the same. The shape and styling? Seems similar to me. I wonder what these same people said a few decades ago when TaylorMade came on the scene? Did they say, "that stuff is garbage, get some proper gear like Macgregor or Ram."?

Sadly these opinions are too common.

Ahahahaha macgregor and ram!! Don't worry about it OP I'm the same way about my clubs all matching. I game 14 Nike clubs as catch flak all the time. In one ear and out the other tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow.. I wouldn't worry about what anyone says. I've never hit nike clubs before but if you like them and hit them well then game them. don't let others sway your opinion.

Ironic that I read this thread today:

Played a skins match today at the local course and got paired with a guy I'd never met before. He saw I was playing Nike irons and bashed them for the hour before we tee'd off. He shut up when I nutted an AW from 145yds to 2 inches. Next hole he asked me if he could just hit some garbage balls into the pond and try them out. Turns out he might go buy a set.

Ironic that I read this thread today:

Played a skins match today at the local course and got paired with a guy I'd never met before. He saw I was playing Nike irons and bashed them for the hour before we tee'd off. He shut up when I nutted an AW from 145yds to 2 inches. Next hole he asked me if he could just hit some garbage balls into the pond and try them out. Turns out he might go buy a set.

Sounds just like a Wilson Staff commercial in the making LOL.

"Seriously? - Yeah, seriously!"

Sounds just like a Wilson Staff commercial in the making LOL.

"Seriously? - Yeah, seriously!"

Hahaha true that. We tee'd off on 10 and it was the first iron shot I hit all day. Never hit a ball so perfectly. Just in time to quiet his trap.

Hahaha true that. We tee'd off on 10 and it was the first iron shot I hit all day. Never hit a ball so perfectly. Just in time to quiet his trap.

Nice. There's nothing like dispelling others preconceived notions without having to say a word and letting one's clubs do the "talking" LOL.

Nike makes great stuff, like most of the popular OEM's. Their irons and FW's in particular I really like. If it weren't for the cost of the VRS forged irons, I would have given them a serious look.

I think Nike is unfairly judged based on the Mickleson/Tiger feud from 10 years back and the comments that Phil made that were taken a bit out of context. I also think there's a certain contingent that dislikes any and all things related to Tiger (and while I don't agree, I do understand why).

I don't think there's any real difference between Nike or any other similarly sized or priced OEM. The USGA governs a lot of the things that can be changed and the heads can be paired with identical shafts.

I kind of like the Nike clubs personally. I'm not currently playing any, but really liked the Machspeed Black Round and VRS drivers when I was doing some recent testing. I played the 5900 for a while and it was (to me), the straightest, most confidence inspiring driver that I've ever hit.

Darren K: I love that story. It must have been a great feeling to shut that guy up!

I've really never understood people who talk smack about others' equipment. It's really about the archer not the arrow. A good golfer can take a shovel and a broom and beat me if I were fitted with the best stuff money can buy.

I love my Nike Hybrids and wouldn't trade them for anything. They feel just as clean on impact as my Ping driver or Titleist irons. I also play a Nike ball which I also currently prefer to Titleist which I played almost exclusively for the 6 months prior to finding this ball. Feel is personal, and feel is what is going to continue to generate confidence. Find what feels good, and you'll play well.

Back