fairway wood shaft in a hybrid

AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
ok heres the scoop. i have decided to keep my 585h as my 5 wood rather than getting another 906f4. instead, i am going to reshaft with a vs proto because i love that shaft. so, seeing as i want my 585h to play more as a fairway wood than a hybrid, would it be better to put a vs proto 80 fairway in it, or the hybrid version. just wondering because i have the hybrid version in my 909h and it feels a little more whippy and i dont want that in my 585h

Personally I would put them both on a launch monitor and try it out if that is at all possible. I have tried fairway shafts in hybrids without much success. But I know a few that have done okay with it. amollerud in our pro section can answer this one best being he fits clubs each day.

could u move this to his section please?

Your wish is my command.

haha thanks.

Great question AK. To get a shaft to perform the way you want it to it is best to use it the way it was designed. You can put a proto fairway in a hybrid and it will work ok. You said that the proto hybrid felt too whippy. If you are starting with a raw full shaft. What you want to do it tip the shaft about a 1/2 and that will take the whippy feeling out in a hurry and then butt cut the shaft to length. JB IS RIGHT IT IS BEST TO HIT AS MANY AS YOU CAN ON A MONITOR AND GO BY THOSE RESULTS. If that isn't possible try tipping that shaft it will help out a ton.

ok well i found out the vs hybrid 80s is 42 inches full length brand new, so i will tip it half an inch and that should be fine

That will help with the whippy feeling and the shaft designed for a hybrid will preform better in a hybrid. That should get you where you want to be. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Back