Shaft recommendations

Drs1321

Reaction score
Handicap
Buying my new irons tomorrow...went with the Cleveland TA7's because I loved the feel and hit them awesome. I can tell the uniflex shaft is holding me back though. I'd like something a little more low-launch, as I tend to hit my irons insanely high. Would the Dynamic Gold S300's be a good start?

Look at KBS Tour (stiff, maybe hardstepped once?) and Project X (6.0) also. TTDGS300 is a great steel shaft but there's better out there IMO.

Look at KBS Tour (stiff, maybe hardstepped once?) and Project X (6.0) also. TTDGS300 is a great steel shaft but there's better out there IMO.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what does it mean to have them hardstepped? Thanks for the recommendations! Which one do you think would produce a lower ball flight?

The S300 is a decent shaft and a good price. What's your SS and transition like from the top of your swing? What makes you think they're holding you back? Can you describe your ballflight? I just think if youre hitting them awesome it might be worth keeping the stock in. Although, I prefer non stock shafts myself haha.

The PX6.0 is like a stiff plus, where the KBS stiff fits more in the traditional stiff category. Also keep in mind the KBS is a high ballflight type shaft and may not fit your needs. Depending on your swing of course.

You'd be surprised how high some people hit their irons and it may even be optimal. Although I do agree, the uniflex in the TA7's is a bit more flexible than I'd like. Still great irons and ones I keep eyeballing.

I have tried the Project x 5.5 and I loved them, 6.0 may be better though if you want a stiffer shaft but I realy liked them. I had the non flighted option and they were nice mid trajectory. I would also recommend the KBS tours shaft offerings they are fantastic!

I'm not entirely sure of my swing speed. I'm pretty smooth with my irons, but I've always hit the ball extremely high, balloon like. Hoping for something a little more mid-trajectory.

I'm not entirely sure of my swing speed. I'm pretty smooth with my irons, but I've always hit the ball extremely high, balloon like. Hoping for something a little more mid-trajectory.

PX or rifle shafts might be what you're looking at.

How far do you hit a 7iron?

Awesome! I'll try them. I hit a 7 iron about 155-160.

While those fitting tools aren't the be all end all, they are really good about getting you going in the right direction. S300's will lower your ball flight for sure, but IMO, they feel awful. I've never been a fan.

I wouldn't mind hitting so high if it would produce a flatter trajectory, but my shots always seem to balloon. I think I'm going to try the stock shafts for a few rounds, and if I don't like ill give the S300s a good look.

Last edited:
I have S300's with Sensicore inserts in them. I hit them really high. I am likely going to KBS C tapers....soon.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what does it mean to have them hardstepped? Thanks for the recommendations! Which one do you think would produce a lower ball flight?

Hardstepping is putting a 5 iron shaft in a 4 iron, and the same all the way up the line (9i shaft in 8i...) so that they play a little bit stiffer.

I've been playing DG S300's for 10 years. I hit my 7I about the same (155-160) but I've always played a knock-down draw so my ball flight is lower than average. I've never tried KBS or Project X shafts so I can't say anything about them but I've heard good things. The S300's are mid-trajectory shafts so I'd give them a shot.

Back