Sergio's post-Masters comments

Then Sergio should start thinking before he speaks because of his reputation. Unless he doesn't care, which is probably the case.

Sergio is starting to sound like John Daly. Nothing is ever his fault. It's the course, or the weather, or his putter, or a fan, or a cup lacking a loogie, or the golf gods.

And his comment that he will "come here, play, and go home" was one of the most ungrateful comments I can remember hearing from a professional golfer.

I'm done with the whiny punk.

Really? have you met him? Because we have heard differently, but again its all rumor.

No I have not met him, but like I said in my post, I think he's a great guy off the course. But I could also issue the same question to anyone who is here saying that he is a bad guy, have you ever met him?

Alex I think having someone you love to hate in sports can be just as fun as having sports heroes. I for one do not take delight in his failure but I do take delight in blasting him when he makes himself look like a fool, and he does it time and time again.

Yes, we have met him. At Doral briefly. He made the same type of comments there. "resort courses dont need practice". He wouldnt sign any autographs. He would not interact with anybody whatsoever. Children were screaming for him and he did not even acknowledge that they were there.

bonpensiero.jpg

Alex I think having someone you love to hate in sports can be just as fun as having sports heroes. I for one do not take delight in his failure but I do take delight in blasting him when he makes himself look like a fool, and he does it time and time again.

That's fine, I'm just saying that I feel people are blowing this way out of proportion. Not everyone like courses set up the same.

Yes, we have met him. At Doral briefly. He made the same type of comments there. "resort courses dont need practice". He wouldnt sign any autographs. He would not interact with anybody whatsoever. Children were screaming for him and he did not even acknowledge that they were there.

I meant met him away from the course. Like I said earlier, I think he lets his emotions control him at the course, causing him to so stupid things. I mean, other then the comments, Tiger doesn't react to fans either, and doesn't sign a whole lot of autographs I don't think, and is everyone seriously criticizing him for that? Every once in a while someone will bring it up, but then they say "he's focused," (I believe that is true with Tiger as is Sergio) and its done with. When people talk about Sergio, it's like he's ripping up a US flag and throwing it in a fire with every little thing he does.

Maybe he should practice. He isn't exactly stacked with major wins.

That's fine, I'm just saying that I feel people are blowing this way out of proportion. Not everyone like courses set up the same.

No I might even agree with him on that point. It's not always what you say but how you say it, and Sergio comes off as an ungrateful whiner and I'm not willing to let him slide on this one.

532662175_1e18a510e7.jpg

Sergio's post round comments didn't bother me at all. As sports fans we always want a reaction from the athletes right after they get off the field, out of the car or off the 18th green. That isn't always in the best interest of the athlete, sometimes after a bad game, race or round of golf they might be a little pissed off and say some things they shouldn't say. Plus it gets everybody stirred up, think how much buzz there would be if he rolls in there next year and wins the thing.

I realize that Sergio has a history of doing these type of things, which is exactly why the press want to talk to him. What would be the reaction if he responded with a "No comment"?

No I might even agree with him on that point. It's not always what you say but how you say it, and Sergio comes off as an ungrateful whiner and I'm not willing to let him slide on this one.

That's fine, I think we should agree to disagree because I don't think any of use will be swayed either way.

But Tiger does not spit in the cup and whine and cry either. That is Sergio. I guess what I am saying is that despite that you root for him and like him. What do you know that he has ever done that makes people want to endorse him? You keep saying "off the course". But he could be the same arrogant guy off teh course. The only Sergio anybody knows is what we see and ever since the scissor kick he has done nothing to bring any attention that is positive. He criticizes courses, USA, his caddy (everytime he misses a putt), anybody but himself. He has shown time and time again that he does not care about his fans or anything else.

But Tiger does not spit in the cup and whine and cry either. That is Sergio. I guess what I am saying is that despite that you root for him and like him. What do you know that he has ever done that makes people want to endorse him? You keep saying "off the course". But he could be the same arrogant guy off teh course. The only Sergio anybody knows is what we see and ever since the scissor kick he has done nothing to bring any attention that is positive. He criticizes courses, USA, his caddy (everytime he misses a putt), anybody but himself. He has shown time and time again that he does not care about his fans or anything else.

I agree that Tiger didn't do that, and that's why I said that. And I think you are taking my "off the course" comment farther then I intended it to go. I, in no means, said that to defend anything he did, I was just stating an opinion of mine. And again, I am in no way saying his actions are excusable. I'm just saying that I feel people are taking littler things that he has done, like his comment on the course, way to seriously, and treating it like he spit in the cup again. (which I feel was extremely disrespectful, and uncalled for)

Sergio apologizes for Augusta remark

Sergio apologizes for Augusta remark

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-insider/shag-bag-blog-april-28944/

Even when Sergio Garcia is not in contention at a major championship he seems to make news. El Nino shot 75-74 on the weekend at Augusta National and tied for 38th, his best finish at the Masters since 2004.

A Golf Channel reporter then stuck a microphone in front of Garcia and asked how he liked the golf course.

“I don’t like it to tell you the truth,” he said. “I don’t think it’s fair. It’s too tricky. Even when it’s dry you still get mud balls in the middle of the fairway. It’s too much of a guessing game.

“They can do whatever they want. It’s not my problem. I just come here and play and then go home. That’s about it.”

Eighteen hours later, IMG, Garcia’s management company, released an apology.

“Following my final round at the Masters yesterday, I made comments in an interview to the Golf Channel that I regret and want to apologize for. Out of frustration, I blamed the golf course instead of putting the blame where it belongs, on myself. I didn’t get it done this week. Augusta National is one of the most iconic golf courses in the game and playing in the Masters each year is an honor. I apologize to the members of Augusta National and the fans who rightfully treasure this golf course, and would like to offer my congratulations to Angel for joining the list of legendary names who have won there. I aspire to join that list one day.”

The galleries at Bethpage Black are sure to cut Garcia some slack at the U.S. Open later this summer.

– Jay Coffin
Posted April 13, 1:42 p.m. ET

I think Sergio had a bad vibe all week, starting with his "making the cut" comment. A lot of times the media loves to ask players about terrible rounds and we expect to hear the PC answer. Sergio seems to be one that always tells how he feels, the problem being it sounds like sour grapes and he never seems to "man up" and accept the blame for his failure. But we are talking about a game so it is what it is.

And don't get me started on all of Tiger's "GD's" and "F-Bombs" after his bad shots as he walks through a crowd full of kids looking up to him.

And don't get me started on all of Tiger's "GD's" and "F-Bombs" after his bad shots as he walks through a crowd full of kids looking up to him.

I don't like that either. I'm no prude and I curse like a sailor, but the rules change when kids are around.

Another reason I adore Morgan Pressel. She hits a bad shot and screams "Good.Ness Gracious!" So cute!

Wonder who wrote that (clearly not Sergio's words):

"Augusta National is one of the most iconic golf courses in the game and playing in the Masters each year is an honor."

I don't really think too much about this latest kerfuffle, other than that it reveals that he has a rather immature side. Compare his comments to Paddy's (as TGC did), who also didn't play as well as he should have, and the difference is obvious.

Yeah I like Paddy even more after those comments. JB any insights to Paddy's behavior away from the camera?

No idea other than he was having a great time with guys at Doral. He seems genuine when we saw him and his company says nothing but great things about him even off the record.

No idea other than he was having a great time with guys at Doral. He seems genuine when we saw him and his company says nothing but great things about him even off the record.

I think he will get another major within the next two years if not this year.

I just think he's almost TOO emotional, so much that on the course he forgets about his surroundings and doesn't think about his actions or words.

Right ... but that's how 7-year olds act.

The reason people DON'T leave him alone is because he's an immature prick. If he wasn't, he would get respect. He's within his rights to say anything he wants, but can't whine about getting **** from crowds.

Take your medicine, son.

Right ... but that's how 7-year olds act.

The reason people DON'T leave him alone is because he's an immature prick. If he wasn't, he would get respect. He's within his rights to say anything he wants, but can't whine about getting **** from crowds.

Take your medicine, son.

I really don't want to say this again, but I am NOT excusing his actions, I am just stating a possibility that make explain his actions. I understand why people don't leave him alone, but I feel they should, at least with something as small and unimportant as saying he doesn't like the course.

Back