2012 Srixon Golf Ball Lineup

I'd agree with JB that they've been a really durable ball for me. I'm not really a ball shredder, but they can stand up to a full round if I'm lucky enough not to lose one.

I did want to mention that I did the online ball fitting, and it also suggested the Q-Star, but I was definitely leaning that way before hand so it really confirmed my choice.

I just switched to the SoftFeels from the Bridgestone e6's. It was mainly a cost thing. I lose about 4-6 balls in 9 holes at the course we shoot league at so I needed something a bit cheaper to hit, but wasn't a total crap ball. Unfortunately when we did league this year we only found an availalble league at this course. The course is pretty narrow. If you miss-hit a ball it is usually gone. I will say that this will be my first last and only league at this course.

I went with the Srixon Z Star XV. I tested that ball and the standard Z Star ball over the past few months. I was initially playing the Z Star, and really liked the Z Star around the greens because it's very spinny there, but as I played with the XV ball, I found that I could get some nice performance with the XV ball off of the tee and approach shots, and also have enough spin around the greens to control my shots. The XV ball with the wedges on full shots will basically hit and stop right around their pitchmark, and that's what I prefer, I don't want to be spinning balls backwards on those shots, and I don't have any trouble holding greens with this ball when hitting longer irons or hybrids either.

As for the color, I played the Z Star in yellow and the Z Star XV in white, and I really preferred the yellow because it's easier to find my ball! I'll be going with yellow in the Morgan Cup and for a while after that, I'm actually headed to the golf shop soon to get some Z Star XV balls in yellow. I've still got a dozen Z Star balls in yellow in my closet, I'm going to save those for cooler conditions in the fall.

Thanks, Ary. Seems like a well thought-out choice to me.

Nice writeup guys on which ball you went with and the reasons behind it.

I love seeing posts like these.

Nice writeup guys on which ball you went with and the reasons behind it.

I love seeing posts like these.

Thanks, Tuna. I thought it would be fun to hear the reasoning behind it. I think we had a very good variety to choose from and it's fun to see how different we all are.

Thanks, Tuna. I thought it would be fun to hear the reasoning behind it. I think we had a very good variety to choose from and it's fun to see how different we all are.

Agreed. It's a great show case for the Srixon ball line to really show just how many different types of swingers, golfers, conditions, etc that they can fit. Then again I'm biased since I've been using the XV for the past couple of months and you'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead fingers to get them back.

Well, if anyone was more sporadic in their choices in here it may have been me. I initially started my Srixon testing with the Q Star. I liked it a lot. I felt like I was mashing it and it was blissful to hit out of the fairway. I then moved on to the XV. My first few rounds testing the XV vs the QStar, my statistics supported the XV but my scoring supported the QStar. That could be from a couple of factors such as hitting one before the other (I typically see better results with the second ball I tee off with on a hole and I don't know why). The biggest glaring factor was that the XV was consistently longer off the tee than the QStar. I mean like 15-25 yards longer. That's a lot of yardage to sacrifice. Both felt pretty similar out of the fairway but I found the XV to be a little more responsive around the greens.

I then eliminated the QStar and moved on to the ZStar vs the XV. Quite simply, the ZStar just wasn't consistent off the tee for me. I had too many up and down days off the tee compared to the XV. I think I prefer the ZStar out of the fairway and around the greens but not so much that I wanted it off the tee. In the end, I chose the XV in white. Nothing against the yellow, but I figured everyone would go with a yellow ball and quite frankly, I just wanted mine to be the easier one to spot out there.

All three balls are great golf balls and all three balls should fit the needs of golfers out there.

Nice post, TC. I know you really put them all through the paces.

Nice post, TC. I know you really put them all through the paces.

I sure did. I think my scoring average was the best with the Q Star, so it was hard to say no to it, but I never just played it on it's own. I was always flip flopping balls and holes so it was hard to do it but it just wasn't the longest off the tee at all. I need all the length I can get for the Morgan Cup. It applies pressure.

I could game all 3 of the models though, and quite happily. They're all good to me.

Well, if anyone was more sporadic in their choices in here it may have been me. I initially started my Srixon testing with the Q Star. I liked it a lot. I felt like I was mashing it and it was blissful to hit out of the fairway. I then moved on to the XV. My first few rounds testing the XV vs the QStar, my statistics supported the XV but my scoring supported the QStar. That could be from a couple of factors such as hitting one before the other (I typically see better results with the second ball I tee off with on a hole and I don't know why). The biggest glaring factor was that the XV was consistently longer off the tee than the QStar. I mean like 15-25 yards longer. That's a lot of yardage to sacrifice. Both felt pretty similar out of the fairway but I found the XV to be a little more responsive around the greens.

I then eliminated the QStar and moved on to the ZStar vs the XV. Quite simply, the ZStar just wasn't consistent off the tee for me. I had too many up and down days off the tee compared to the XV. I think I prefer the ZStar out of the fairway and around the greens but not so much that I wanted it off the tee. In the end, I chose the XV in white. Nothing against the yellow, but I figured everyone would go with a yellow ball and quite frankly, I just wanted mine to be the easier one to spot out there.

All three balls are great golf balls and all three balls should fit the needs of golfers out there.

Hey buddy, I did not get a chance to hit the XV (my fault and noone else) but did you find it any more "spinny" off of the driver? That was the biggest reason I chose the Q-Star. On mishits with the driver I was still in play, and many times in just the first cut. I was not seeing those results with the Z-Star.

Hey buddy, I did not get a chance to hit the XV (my fault and noone else) but did you find it any more "spinny" off of the driver? That was the biggest reason I chose the Q-Star. On mishits with the driver I was still in play, and many times in just the first cut. I was not seeing those results with the Z-Star.

For me, no. I had really up or down days with the QStar off the tee. One day I hit it on a string the next I was Jake straighten like nobody's business. I fear I was over compressing it but I don't know for sure.

TC I know you're a huge fan of the RX, did you try the Srixon SL at all? Sorry if I skimmed that big man.

TC I know you're a huge fan of the RX, did you try the Srixon SL at all? Sorry if I skimmed that big man.

No, I didn't try that ball dude.

No, I didn't try that ball dude.

Cool beans broham. I just thought it might a real good comparison to the RX and what not. BUt I also know you play the harder compression balls at times too!

Cool beans broham. I just thought it might a real good comparison to the RX and what not. BUt I also know you play the harder compression balls at times too!

Yeah, I just never thought about trying it I guess. I got to wrapped up in the other balls.

Tmex, my pereception is that the SL was closer to the RXS. It had a real soft cover.

Tmex, my pereception is that the SL was closer to the RXS. It had a real soft cover.

You definitely have more insight than I my friend! I was just thinking with the softer core some would have gone to it. I could be skimming here too so please forgive if I have. I'm not questioning ball selection at all, just wondering aloud about the ball.

I gotcha TC!

No, I hear you dude. I did try it out and liked it, but for some reason, I liked the Z-Star more. I don't know if I can really tell you anything scientific as to why.

LOL here's some irony. They market this to sub 95mph swings and I felt like that was too soft for me. I've read that the compression rating of the regular Z-Star is actually on the softer side and felt like I'd be fine with it.

No, I hear you dude. I did try it out and liked it, but for some reason, I liked the Z-Star more. I don't know if I can really tell you anything scientific as to why.

LOL here's some irony. They market this to sub 95mph swings and I felt like that was too soft for me. I've read that the compression rating of the regular Z-Star is actually on the softer side and felt like I'd be fine with it.

HAHA man I know what you mean. The ZStar is a really soft ball and I don't think anyone in the Cup would have issues with it at all.

For me, no. I had really up or down days with the QStar off the tee. One day I hit it on a string the next I was Jake straighten like nobody's business. I fear I was over compressing it but I don't know for sure.

Hmmm...makes me wonder if I just lost out on a bit of distance, and nothing else, by not checking it out. Maybe I will try them just for me and not TMC.

Just a friendly reminder to all of those out there that play Srixon balls, their "Buy More, Save More" promotion ends tomorrow (June 30). For their premium balls, which are the Z Star as well as the SL and XV balls, you can get 2 dozen for 74.99 and 3 dozen for 99.99. The regular price is 44.99/dozen, so the savings are nice. I just picked up 2 dozen Z Star XV balls for the balance of the summer.

Just a friendly reminder to all of those out there that play Srixon balls, their "Buy More, Save More" promotion ends tomorrow (June 30). For their premium balls, which are the Z Star as well as the SL and XV balls, you can get 2 dozen for 74.99 and 3 dozen for 99.99. The regular price is 44.99/dozen, so the savings are nice. I just picked up 2 dozen Z Star XV balls for the balance of the summer.

Good choice dude. XV is a slick ball. One of my favorites.

I knew it similar to something I had played before but could not figure it out. You could've posted this sooner and saved me a headache :act-up:

--
Tapatalk2

Back