TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Those look great dude, what made you go with the HP over the black finish version?

--
Tapatalk2

Those look great dude, what made you go with the HP over the black finish version?

--
Tapatalk2

I really liked the finish on my 1.0 and I saw these so I had to get them, plus I had seen them in Camilos bag a while back on tour before they were released and I couldn't stop staring at them so I am glad I got them!

I really liked the finish on my 1.0 and I saw these so I had to get them, plus I had seen them in Camilos bag a while back on tour before they were released and I couldn't stop staring at them so I am glad I got them!

Gotcha. I think they look great as well plus you don't have to worry about the finish wearing as much.

--
Tapatalk2

Gotcha. I think they look great as well plus you don't have to worry about the finish wearing as much.

--
Tapatalk2

Yeah exactly, I got a lie and length fitting with the lie board and I was surprised that I was making contact on the center of the face so I'm really excited!

Yeah exactly, I got a lie and length fitting with the lie board and I was surprised that I was making contact on the center of the face so I'm really excited!

Cool, all stock?

And FWIW I loved those stock grips. Never felt slick despite the heat and humidity down here.

--
Tapatalk2

Cool, all stock?

And FWIW I loved those stock grips. Never felt slick despite the heat and humidity down here.

--
Tapatalk2

Yeah I was hitting the irons so well, and he didn't have the ability to add other shafts so he got me the best for my game

Yeah I was hitting the irons so well, and he didn't have the ability to add other shafts so he got me the best for my game

I think you'll be very happy with the stock shafts. They were specifically designed so unless someone has an off the wall need I don't see another shaft performing as well overall.

--
Tapatalk2

A couple of things today. I never had carried a 4 iron simple because I can't hit them. Even with my Burner 1.0 Irons, I never hit my 4 iron correctly, never. Today I took a gamble and dropped the hybrid I use in place of my 4 iron and on a dog leg right par 4, I hit my driver and landed about 215 yards out from the green, I always hit a hybrid from there, and for some reason I decided to pick up my 4 iron, sure enough, I hit my first 4 iron straight down the middle and missed the green by 10 feet a little to the left and with a little ATV shipping, I was able to putt for par, I've never been able to hit irons so great. I also made it into the fairway bunker after my tee shot rolled in, and I hit a 6 iron straight and long to about 50 yards from the green, I've never been able to escape fairway bunkers. I am so in love with my burner 2.0 HPs! I also did my usual Red and Blue paint fill to match my staff bag

7476210506_c7c1500705.jpg

Hello all,
I've been looking for weeks at getting Ping i20s but finally decided not to spend that much, found a set of 2.0s on ebay yesterday and got them cheap enough ($250 new!!) that I paid the extra for next day shipping. I hit the 2.0, RBZ, and Cobra AMP at Dick's last week and they all felt good, with the RBZ and Burner 2.0 a little longer. The RBZ actually was the longest for me, but not for the price difference and I don't really want green trimmed clubs..... lol Anyway, went straight to the range today and it was very mixed, I'm not at all a fan of these shafts so far. My "stiff" shafts feel like a regular when flexed in my hands, and they swing like it too. I compared to a Dynamic Gold S300 by flexing in my hands and also putting the butt on the ground and leaning on the clubhead to load the shaft and the TM shaft is WAY softer than a DG S300. On the range I had to swing more aggressively than normal to get big distance out of them, and then my dispersion was all over the place. I'm hoping to play 18 on friday morning so we'll see how they do on the course, but right now I'm really not happy with the shafts. Maybe I'll try to take a couple of pictures of the shaft flex between the DG and TM with the butt end on a scale so I can putt the same amount of force on them.

The stock shaft and S300's are miles apart. One is 85 grams, the other is around 120. Do they feel a lot different from the ones you tried earlier?

--
Tapatalk2

Yeah, pretty different shafts, but I will say this, those stock steel shafts are pretty outstanding. I have some data I gathered when I did some shaft testing and I threw the Burner 2.0 6iron in the mix and I found that the stock shaft offered high launch and lower spin for me. Kind of cool really, especially in a 86gram steel shaft.

The stock shaft and S300's are miles apart. One is 85 grams, the other is around 120. Do they feel a lot different from the ones you tried earlier?

--
Tapatalk2

I know the weights are way different, but I would expect the bending stiffness to be similar as both are stiff flex. I know that also varies from one manufacturer to another, but I can usually tell a stiff from a regular just by flexing the club, these feel like a regular. I can't compare to the ones I hit at the store, that was a week ago and hitting in a simulator off a mat. Hopefully I'll see how they do on the course on friday, just my inital impression wasn't great....

I would get the shafts that fit you best and have them installed, perhaps a club fitting would help. There is no standard for flex on the market, for example if I want Project x shafts, my recommended is 5.5 which I believe is stiff, and in KBS tour I require Regular but the KBS tour 90 I require stiff, (KBS tour play stiffer than the 90 or so th eKBS rep told me)

each shaft has it's own ratings that's why a fitting is important

I know the weights are way different, but I would expect the bending stiffness to be similar as both are stiff flex. I know that also varies from one manufacturer to another, but I can usually tell a stiff from a regular just by flexing the club, these feel like a regular. I can't compare to the ones I hit at the store, that was a week ago and hitting in a simulator off a mat. Hopefully I'll see how they do on the course on friday, just my inital impression wasn't great....

What strikes me as odd is when you swung them before buying you didn't notice that. I understand mats v grass, but it is odd you know?

--
Tapatalk2

I don't know that I picked up each one and flexed them as I hit different clubs, just grabbed a stiff in each. I don't think the simulators at Dick's Sporting Goods (not sure if they are national or not) are very sophisticated, so I wouldn't trust it to accurately pick up sidespin, it didn't even show that, so it wouldn't show the true flight of a ball. I hit a lot of shots today that were way off line, some of which is of course due to me but I'm not normally that bad, so it felt like the clubhead wasn't being controlled. I have a 6i swing speed right around 80 so that would normally put me in a stiff for just about any club, we'll see....

I did extensive fitting for the Ping i20s and the stock Ping CFS S shaft was as good as anything, I've already had thoughts of picking up some CFS pulls and .355 to .370 shims..... :banana:

Went to the range this morning again and it wasn't good. I managed to see some consistency with the 8 iron after a bit, but the 4 iron was terrible for me, couldn't stay away from a slice. It could be that my swing has just left me for a while, but I've been playing pretty well this summer. I'm frustrated enough that I just bought a Ping i20 4 iron off ebay which will do two things for me, it will let me compare 4 irons with the clubs I originally wanted, and I'll have a comparison of the TM 85g shaft to the CFS shaft.

:golf3:

Went to the range this morning again and it wasn't good. I managed to see some consistency with the 8 iron after a bit, but the 4 iron was terrible for me, couldn't stay away from a slice. It could be that my swing has just left me for a while, but I've been playing pretty well this summer. I'm frustrated enough that I just bought a Ping i20 4 iron off ebay which will do two things for me, it will let me compare 4 irons with the clubs I originally wanted, and I'll have a comparison of the TM 85g shaft to the CFS shaft.

:golf3:

I predict you order a full set of i20's before August is over. :)

As PROUD new owner of SW's old burner 2.0s (Thanks again) I think they are one of the more forgiving irons I have hit to date and I honestly don't think there is too many irons out there I could hit better. Just picked up the 55* Sand Wedge today from Josh_Ross so now the set is truly complete. I debated the i15's against these and I'm positive I made the right choice

Glad you're enjoying them dude! There's a lot of good things in these irons.

Nice Hammann11,

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, I want forged irons so bad but my Burner 2.0's keep on playing so well so I'll be keeping these! They are so great for me at the moment. Good luck

Thank you! They work great for me and the stock shafts feel very nice as well

As PROUD new owner of SW's old burner 2.0s (Thanks again) I think they are one of the more forgiving irons I have hit to date and I honestly don't think there is too many irons out there I could hit better. Just picked up the 55* Sand Wedge today from Josh_Ross so now the set is truly complete. I debated the i15's against these and I'm positive I made the right choice
Congrats on your purchase. The 2.0's are a great set!

Congrats on your purchase. The 2.0's are a great set!

I couldn't agree more! Glad I know I have a set of irons I can rely on for years to come and spend some money elsewhere

Yesterday afternoon I was able to hit another small bucket of balls to try and figure out what the heck was going on. I found that my swing plane had gotten a little flatter and behind me as I had been working lately on trying to hit down through the ball better (always been a sweeper...), once I got back more upright I was striking the ball MUCH better and seeing some good results. Still thought the shafts felt very loose and whippy, but at least the flight was a huge improvement. My plans to play 18 this morning went down the crapper when a sick kid had to stay home and the weekend isn't looking good right now either.... :angry:

Back