Forgiving Driver Shoot Out

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So many have requested it and we are going to do our first one with 12 golfers and 6 drivers to see which one the players preferred. Here are the players involved in testing these. This will take place next weekend.

4 Golfers that have handicaps over 25
4 Golfers that have handicaps between 18-25
4 Golfers that have handicaps between 12-18.
Each golfer plays a standard stiff shaft right now.

Here are the drivers involved in our first ever testing of this nature.

Cleveland Monster
Taylormade Burner
Nickent Evolver
Mizuno MX-700
Nike DYMO
Powerbilt Air Force One

All drivers are going to be hit for 15 balls by each person.
All drivers are 9 or 9.5 degrees with a standard stiff shaft.
Here is what they are basing judgment on with distance and accuracy each worth 2 points and the rest worth one point.

Look
Sound
Feel
Distance
Accuracy

We will be doing more driver shootouts coming up with all kinds of drivers, so we hope that you enjoy each one of them. We will mix it up each time and have different drivers in each one.

All of these golfers are playing stiff shafts? Is that strange that this surprises me?

• Admin
We did that for a reason. We actually had 16 golfers total, but only took 12 because they were playing stiff shafts and that is what we have available. It also does not mean that they were fitted properly by any means.

OK, because your test clubs are stiff shaft. Apples to apples.

This will be great for me, results of people who golf like me not just you "pros-lol" .All drivers I would consider, but am fairly pleased with Evolver, just would like to bring ball flight down some.

wow,

this should be exciting ... it will be nice to read the results of a true club testing shootout ... :clapp:

• Admin
duane,
We did a pretty large driver shoot out a couple of weeks back. If you search driver shootout results, it should come up.

Jb, I hate to question anything because you always have a good reason and I end up looking silly lol, but I'm wondering why the FTi-Q is not in there?

Because Callaway did not want to participate.

Because Callaway did not want to participate.

Easy enough, thanks JB. My money is on the Monster for easiest to hit.

Wow. That surprises me because the FT-iq is a great driver for mid and high cappers (heck, I know a couple of low cappers who use it.) Launches high and straight.

It surprised us too, being as though we reviewed the driver about a month ago.

They will definitely be in future shoot outs I am sure.

Looking forward to seeing the results...

Should be a good contest. Curious: Is that Nike DYMO the round or squared? Reason being is that according to Nike the squared version is made for long and straight with the weights in the back corners; and the rounded version is made to go a little longer but is generally a little less forgiving but easier to shape your shot. That being said I would think that for a player with a 20-25 handicap the rounded version would not be appreciated as much as the squared. Whatever the case, I'm pulling for the DYMO in this contest, as I'm sure you have probably concluded at this point, partly because I own one but mostly because I have seen what it can do!

dblock,
The squared version is called the DYMO2 and we left it up to Nike to decide which one they wanted in here. However in our review of both drivers a few months back, we did not really think that the Dymo 2 was any more forgiving than the DYMO.

dblock,
The squared version is called the DYMO2 and we left it up to Nike to decide which one they wanted in here. However in our review of both drivers a few months back, we did not really think that the Dymo 2 was any more forgiving than the DYMO.

Thanks JB, didn't know that you all left it up to Nike, but I think that if they chose the DYMO over the DYMO2 then they did it for a reason. Can't argue with the man! :bashful:

We do not always leave it up to the company. However with shootouts like this we contact each company and say "this is what we are doing". They can make the decisions from there.

Go Evolver? :angel:

Back