My First Official Handicap

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
I just signed my girlfriend and myself up for our first ever official RCGA handicap cards. I have always kept track of it using a site called Mobile Golf Stats which was obvs not an official site. Now we will be eligible to enter more tournaments and keep more accurate stats. It is renewable so I will have it yearly now. I am pretty excited about it. Just hope that 9 doesn't balloon or anything lol.

Awesome, way to go.

I wish I could keep one. I just don't play enough 18 hole golf, don't have the time. I personally don't think 9 holes is a good reflection of handicap. Anyone else feel the same? USGA does allow for 9 hole handicaps, but I don't know...

Congrats Caper, Tournaments are the reason I have a handicap. Competitive golf is a lot of fun.

I wish I could keep one. I just don't play enough 18 hole golf, don't have the time. I personally don't think 9 holes is a good reflection of handicap. Anyone else feel the same? USGA does allow for 9 hole handicaps, but I don't know...

Why not get one? Do you think your scores would be higher or lower if you played 18? I can shoot better on the front or the back. I think it averages out over time.

I've always had an official handicap since I've had a club membership. Up here in NB that's figured into the price for the most part, think it's $25. I didn't know you could do it outside of a membership, but it makes sense.

I've rarely played in anything that wants an official handicap card, but the option's there if I suddenly discover the Ultimate Golf Secret and start entering the provincial tourneys.

Cape Breton? Highland Links, Dundee, Bell Bay...some great courses on the island. I've got to get back there.

Tournaments are the reason I have a handicap. Competitive golf is a lot of fun.

Why not get one? Do you think your scores would be higher or lower if you played 18? I can shoot better on the front or the back. I think it averages out over time.
I'd love to play tournaments, if the wife let me haha! I'm in 2 leagues and play a practice round /week on top. I'm sure she'd flip her sh*t if I started to pay to play in tournaments. I agree, competitive golf is a lot more fun and I actually do play better.
My Monday league is a leisure stroke play league and I have a 4.4 league handi.
My Wednesday is a match play league with a bracket system that I hold a 3.5 league handi, avg score around 39.4. I'm basically a full stroke better.

I just have this bias that tells me 9 vs. 18 holes is a different beast. And I've played forever to know that's true. Dexterity, stamina, concentration for 18 holes is far more difficult to hold over an 18 hole span. You're probably right, but I may play 18 holes once per month. Maybe my cheap as is just convincing myself not to pay for one? haha.

Is the calculation for 9 hole and 18 hole handicaps the same?

I've always had an official handicap since I've had a club membership. Up here in NB that's figured into the price for the most part, think it's $25. I didn't know you could do it outside of a membership, but it makes sense.

I've rarely played in anything that wants an official handicap card, but the option's there if I suddenly discover the Ultimate Golf Secret and start entering the provincial tourneys.

Cape Breton? Highland Links, Dundee, Bell Bay...some great courses on the island. I've got to get back there.

I always had a membership, but never got anything regarding hcp from it. Playing everywhere this year and liking it more than one course all the time.

I am in CB and the courses here are great. I lived in PEI for 2 years when I went to school and they have some unreal ones there. Maybe next year we can have a Maritimes THP get together. That would be pretty sweet!

I really don't know. I will find out in the next couple of weeks though. I really hope I am able to enter in previous rounds before I was a member of the RCGA. If not, there is no way I will have enough rounds.

I'd love to play tournaments, if the wife let me haha! I'm in 2 leagues and play a practice round /week on top. I'm sure she'd flip her sh*t if I started to pay to play in tournaments. I agree, competitive golf is a lot more fun and I actually do play better.

My Monday league is a leisure stroke play league and I have a 4.4 league handi.

My Wednesday is a match play league with a bracket system that I hold a 3.5 league handi, avg score around 39.4. I'm basically a full stroke better.

You just have to find tournaments that are cheaper. I'm lucky enough that my home course has a monthly one that is $60 with cart. Only $6 more than their weekend rate. They still have about $450 in the pot for winnings too.

Would your match play handicap be better because your given putts when your opponent is out of the hole?

As far as I know 9 hole is calculated the same way. They just wait to combine 2 9 hole rounds.

interesting. Ive been wanting to do this for a long time but didnt know i could even have a 9 hole handicap. I dont play 18 half as much as i play 9 but i want to look into this now.

Congrats on the first official handicap.!

You just have to find tournaments that are cheaper. I'm lucky enough that my home course has a monthly one that is $60 with cart. Only $6 more than their weekend rate. They still have about $450 in the pot for winnings too.

Would your match play handicap be better because your given putts when your opponent is out of the hole?

As far as I know 9 hole is calculated the same way. They just wait to combine 2 9 hole rounds.
We don't have a gimme rule in place, regardless if the hole is conceded. This is because we need to continue and track the players handicap.

My league tournament is this weekend (27 hole score). Can't wait! Winner goes on to represent the club at another Tournament, all paid for. So we'll see if this burns enough fire within me to push me and play tournaments again. I haven't played competitively since my State tournament in High School, about 13 years ago.

Back