achase215

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Hey the last few weeks my ball a
striking has really improved and anything less than 6 iron I am getting crazy amounts of spin. Even with my tired CCI irons i am ripping the ball back 3 to 5 yards. Yes yards the last two weeks in league on 140 ish yard par 3'a I have hit perfect shots landing pin high within 3 feet of the hole only to have 15 feet left for birdie. In 9 holes yesterday I had 3 balls hit the green only to have them spin off the green. I did switch to the TP5 recently so I am sure this adding to the spin.

So my questions to you guys is how do I take a little spin off? The holes I am talking about have very narrow greens so playing a few more yards could result in flying into rough with no spin back. So any words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe take one more club and don't swing as hard. This way you are putting less amounts of spin on the ball. I figured this is the least technical way. Might be too simple to work though, it is golf, after all.

If your ball spins too much for your liking, play a different ball. Their are a plethora of ball choices out their that offer different spin characteristics.

Ie... Match your ball to your swing, not your swing to the ball!

Last edited:
There are so many dynamic factors in golf... I'm in a similar situation. Hitting irons better than I ever have in my life. Its in the heat of the summer, the ball is flying forever. Normally fairways & greens are rockhard this time of year and I need all the spin I can get if I want to go flag hunting. Last weekend we got quite a bit of rain Thursday & Friday morning, so greens were softer than they have been. I too spun a couple of shots back off greens. So I switch from tour urethane balls to some with surlyn-type covers. Of course the 18th hole on Saturday, tied up in my match, I hit a drive down the middle, leaving an easy 8 iron into the green. Hit it dead flush at the pin, but just over it. The ball hit and stopped within about 3 feet, but that left me 20 feet downhill to the pin. If I had a Callaway is or a Penta, I might have gotten it to come back and the hole was straight back downhill...

The guys on tv make it look so cool, but in reality, playing to an exact distance with the perfect amount of spin takes a lot of skill and a 1000X more practice. I'll get one to come back just right one of these days. :drinks:

I would change the ball. Most great players want a hit and stop type of reaction not spinning back on 99% of their shots. If you are getting that much spin I would get out of that ball and in to something that works better with your game. Good Luck

Lets be honest,

Anyone can spin the dickens out of the new Urethane balls.

nick0507 is correct. The Pros prefer a hit and stop type reaction.

Why would would the rest of us seek anything else?

As said, consider a different ball, but also consider your shaft flex and ball position. A further back ball position can, in some instances, introduce more spin than anticipated.

Best way to take some spin off without changing the ball: take one more club, hit a 3/4 shot that may feel like a knockdown shot to you. The ball will fly a little lower and not spin as much.

For what it's worth, while the Penta TP5 is a urethane covered ball, it is supposed to be the "lower spin" version of TaylorMade's tour level balls.

Best way to take some spin off without changing the ball: take one more club, hit a 3/4 shot that may feel like a knockdown shot to you. The ball will fly a little lower and not spin as much.

For what it's worth, while the Penta TP5 is a urethane covered ball, it is supposed to be the "lower spin" version of TaylorMade's tour level balls.

I agree with both of these statements. For the past week I've been testing the TP5 and am liking the feel and control. It will consistently hit and stop with a good swing but I have yet to overcook one. Another good option is the Callaway Hex Black. A little firmer feel with great wind performance and spin control.

Clubbing up and dialing back your swing or choking up is also a good option. It will help reduce the spin while still landing soft. For example, yesterday I fired two shots from the same position for comparison, a full PW and a chopped off 9-iron, into a receptive green. Both hit about pin high but the PW sucked back ~4ft down the slope while the 9 hit and jumped 1ft right for a much easier putt.

It sounds like you've got great contact and compression, so start experimenting with different balls to see what fits your style best.

Forgive me, but isn't the TP5 Taylormades tour level ball? If its not what is their "tour level ball"?

Lets be honest,

Anyone can spin the dickens out of the new Urethane balls.

nick0507 is correct. The Pros prefer a hit and stop type reaction.

Why would would the rest of us seek anything else?

That's not true at all... I don't produce noticable spin, even with top tier balls. I don't have a hop-stop pitch shot, or a bite and spin full wedge.
Spin is a byproduct of contact and swing plane. Using a "spinny" ball isn't enough.

Forgive me, but isn't the TP5 Taylormades tour level ball? If its not what is their "tour level ball"?

The TP5 is their tour level ball. The TP3 is the lower-priced, three layer version that generates more spin. A recent THR interview talked with one of Taylormade's developers about their new balls and the performance. If I remember correctly, they actually dialed back the spin with the TP5 to address player control issues with the ball sucking back too much. The TP3 should give similar overall performance with more spin for players who have trouble with that side of the shot.

Rxgus,

If you are hitting down on the ball at all, Urethane balls are going to generate lots of spin, period. If you are a sweeper, and you pick the ball, maybe not so much.

Was this a real question or did the initial poster just want to let everyone know that he's spinning his shots off the green?

Changing to a ball that doesn't spin as much is a "No-Brainer"....

I am still here the thread kind of died off and didn't realize it was getting so many replies. I love the TP5 it is a good ball off the tee for me and durable as all get out last ball made it 36 holes. I am not one to brag the Internet I hit it 350 into the wind. I did take the advice and on the same par 3 took a little more club and hit a knockdown that just stopped dead. I did carry it a little too far but nailed my 25 footer for birdie. Thanks for the advice I know I am still casting from the top but saving it at impact. Keep the advice coming hope it helps anyone out that may be struggling with this.

"350 into the Wind"??? Is that all?

Yeah, the rest of us were hitting that ball 360, but we all switched to a lower compression ball that made the courses more challenging, while not spinning off all the greens!

By the Way, "AchAse 215":

Bubba Watson ranks #1 on the PGA tour on Average Driver Distance for 2012. His average is "313 yards".

2012 PGA Tour Median Driving Distance: "288 yards".

Last edited:
Add a club, swing smooth, "wider" swing arc, and dead hands/wrists coming into impact and through.

"350 into the Wind"??? Is that all?

Yeah, the rest of us were hitting that ball 360, but we all switched to a lower compression ball that made the courses more challenging, while not spinning off all the greens!

By the Way, "AchAse 215":

Bubba Watson ranks #1 on the PGA tour on Average Driver Distance for 2012. His average is "313 yards".

2012 PGA Tour Median Driving Distance: "288 yards".

I may or may not have been being sarcastic. I don't need to come onto the Internet and say I hit it further than I do I want to get better. I average 250 carry with a 103 avg swing speed sound a bit more realistic?

The more aggressive the club head is
Through the zone the more spin you will generate. My first bit of advise is find a new ball. My second is to learn the dead arm swing to take spin off the ball. For
Instance 100yds out is a 56* SW for some. Take a 52* instead set up slightly open and swing with with an even pace. Feel the arms moving through the shot. It's hard to explain but you are not beating down on the ball but just taking a normal smooth golf swing with out driving the legs into the shot.

Achase,

Sounds Good!

We're all trying to improve and I wish you the best. Sounds like your well on your way!

Yeah this game is hard! Got most of the big misses out of the way now dialing everything in so I can break 80.

Back