2012 London Olympics (Spoilers)

bummed misty may and carrie dropped a set 34-1 now but 18-0 in matches streak still alive. dropping that set pissed them off though they blasted them 21-8 in the second set.

We can swim with the best of them...

Yes we can!!! Those women can kick some arse!

Heck yeah. I would never watch a swim event on tv if there was one going one, but I love watching and cheering for USA in swimming during the Olympics... there is just something about the Olympics, but I love it

Great comeback for the USA with the bronze in the individual all-around after a second pommel horse disaster.

Great comeback for the USA with the bronze in the individual all-around after a second pommel horse disaster.

Solid comeback. Good to see how happy he was with bronze, and rightfully so

100m freestyle. Basically an all out sprint. Was an awesome race.
That was a great race by a kid a lot of people didn't think was going to contend for gold.

bummed misty may and carrie dropped a set 34-1 now but 18-0 in matches streak still alive. dropping that set pissed them off though they blasted them 21-8 in the second set.
It could be a good thing for them. Now the pressure of winning every set won't be hanging over their heads. They seemed much looser and relaxed those last 2 sets.

Very nice to see one of the guys from the men's gymnastics team finally step up these Olympics.

That's crazy tax money. I'm glad someone is trying to stop it though.

Medalists will have to pay hefty taxes for standing on the podium in London. It's not the value of the medal itself that will require a separate line on this years tax returns, it's the tax on the prize money that comes with a gold, silver or bronze.

The United States Olympic Committee rewards Olympic medalists with honorariums. A gold medal brings $25,000. Silver medals get you $15,000. And a bronze is worth $10,000.

The Weekly Standard, a conservative news magazine, ran the numbers and tabulated that the tax bill on a gold is $8,986, silver is $5,385 and bronze is $3,500.

They note that Missy Franklin, an amateur who has yet to cash in on her fame with endorsements, already owes $14,000 in taxes from her gold and silver medal. By the time the Games are finished, Franklin's tax bill could reach $30,000.

Franklin may owe $14,000 but she has made $40,000. But if that's all she earns this year, she'll get a hefty tax refund after deductions. It's INCOME taxes, people, we all pay them.

A lot of stupid comments under that linked story, but this one cracked me up:

Taxes are the main reason that I no longer exercise. I'd hate to unleash the champion inside of me and eventually end up owing taxes.

Comments are always entertaining at the end of stories... Sometimes I wonder what article the commenter was reading

Taxes are the main reason that I no longer exercise. I'd hate to unleash the champion inside of me and eventually end up owing taxes.

This sounds like a comment I would have made on this story. Or Esox. Yep. Esox would make this comment.

That's effing hysterical. Wow.

Comments are always entertaining at the end of stories... Sometimes I wonder what article the commenter was reading

I believe the commenter was saying that people complaining about them paying taxes on their winning is ridiculous.

It's income. I don't see what the issue is. Like they say, it's not on the value of the medal, but in the monetary consideration they get for where they finish.

I guess I'm coming from the mindset that if you are representing your Country and happen to take home a medal I don't see why they can't be given a tax break.

I'm no tax lawyer/expert by any means but couldn't the argument be made that this is an international event and one that is taking place on foreign soil and doesn't fall under US laws?

I just wish the Olympics included Golf this year as it will probably be the only time the Olympics is held in Britain and I could of went to see it! Got to see the Irish Open and the British Open at Lytham though so that makes up for it.

I just wish the Olympics included Golf this year as it will probably be the only time the Olympics is held in Britain and I could of went to see it! Got to see the Irish Open and the British Open at Lytham though so that makes up for it.

Surprised there isn't a separate thread on it but, IMO, they really screwed it up for 2016 when they had a chance to make it special.

Back