Mizuno MX-200 Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I am planning on buying a set of these this fall when the price gets better on ebay. I am currently playing a set of Titleist 804 OS that I really like but I've been playing them for about 4 years. Time for a new set. Besides my 13 year old son wants my Titleists.

How would you compare these to the Callaway X-20 game improvement irons?

• Admin
I did not like the X-20s nearly as much. I much preferred the X-22s. But I still think if it were up to me, that I prefer the MX-200s. They work much better with my swing and felt better overall.

JB, would you please stop with these reviews, I am trying to save my money, thank you:D

Wow these look like something worth trying!

JB, would you please stop with these reviews, I am trying to save my money, thank you:D

I'm with ya Farmer, I really want to wait until fall or winter to replace my irons but these 200's are calling my name.:beat-up:

I've been waiting on this one JB, I'm headed over to read it now. This website is good to me!

JB, you are killing me with this review. 2 years ago, I switched from an old set of forged cavity back irons to the Callaway X-20 Tours. The reasoning was my game was declining and I needed something more forgiving. But I really miss the forged feel. At the time of the switch, I tried the then-current Mizuno offering. I think it was the MP-60. Although I loved the feel, I didn't think my swing could handle the club.

Your review of the MX-200 is exactly what I was looking for back then. Without even demoing them, I know I am going to love these irons. Yikes. I just bought a driver (yesterday) and earlier in the year, I bought new wedges. I can't justify new irons too.... can I?

• Admin
If you are playing well with the X-22's than I say keep doing it. For forged feel in a cavity back we have reviewed 3 sets this year that are outstanding. Nickent 4DX Pros, Mizuno MX-200, and Nike Splits.

I said X-20's in my original question but I MEANT to ask about the new X-22's. I haven't hit either of them yet but I like the look and set up of the Mizuno better plus I hae been using forged Irons and I don't think the Callaway X-22's are forged are they?

This was a great review! I am not normally one to think a club is "good looking" but I have to say these irons are really nice on the eyes.

The more I look at and read about the MX-200s, the more I get a really good feeling about them.

Mizuno is having a demo day Sunday after next. I think I am going to have to go and see if they can knock the i5s out of my bag.

Harry,
There are less than a handful of clubs that have given me the WOW factor since I have been reviewing them. This was one of them. Definitely in my top 3-5 for the year.

JB, in your opinion are the MX-200 too much club for a 15-16 HC...is there enough forgiveness and how big is the sole of the club in your view...thanks

That is the beauty of it coyna. They are perfect for that handicap. Very forgiving and very much GI. The sole is "normal sized" to me. Not too thick like a SGI but not blade like.

I said X-20's in my original question but I MEANT to ask about the new X-22's. I haven't hit either of them yet but I like the look and set up of the Mizuno better plus I hae been using forged Irons and I don't think the Callaway X-22's are forged are they?

I do not think so CI.

Am I right that the MX-200 is essentially the new version of the old MX-23 and -25s, or is there a significant difference? Well, maybe I should go read the review first, then ask, but I will do that now and you can pretend I read it first!

It is a newer version, but IMHO they feel totally different.

Harry,
There are less than a handful of clubs that have given me the WOW factor since I have been reviewing them. This was one of them. Definitely in my top 3-5 for the year.

Yep. And you and I have always had similar feelings about Mizuno (quality product but never felt right, or hit right, for us.) That's one of the reasons that I am determined to hit them very soon.

Those are basically my thoughts completely Harry.

JB, in your opinion are the MX-200 too much club for a 15-16 HC...is there enough forgiveness and how big is the sole of the club in your view...thanks
MX-200s are game-improvement irons, so you should have no problem hitting them.

Back