Secret Grip by Boccieri Review - Forum Testing

Nice review Hawk. Glad to see you're finding success with this grip on the driver. If the price on these becomes a little more reasonable I plan on putting one on an iron and one on my driver. I don't have any backup drivers but the R11S being adjustable makes it easy to throw a grip on a shaft and try it out. Your miss with the driver is the same as mine and I'm liking what your seeing with this grip. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! The lazy fade is the worst miss ever just because it's so short in addition to being crooked.

Thanks! The lazy fade is the worst miss ever just because it's so short in addition to being crooked.

I know man. Hitting through trees 40-50 yards shorter than I should be on a typical drive really makes a hole a lot tougher :dohanim:

I haven't done anything to clean my grips at all since they were installed, I have a few rounds on them so far, and I haven't noticed any wear, residue or black discoloring. I don't wear a glove either so I don't know if that would change it at all. But I was surprised to not see any similar results.

Probably not everyone will have this problem. I live in a completely different climate and on top of that I have some wicked callouses on my hands. It really only rubs off on the calloused part of my right hand and the discoloration on the glove could very well just happen because of humidity dampening the glove some.

It's nowhere near a deal breaker for me but I just figure I should report on the little gripes and complaints people might have. What speaks the loudest for these grips though is the fact that I will be using them in the future as well. Cost be damned. When it comes time to regrip I'll be going Secret Grip again.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Went out for 9 holes today.
First off I'll talk driver. Thankfully today my driver was going straight again. I hit some nice drives today and I even saw a slight draw on a few. That is just unheard of for me. I'm still Hitting the ball farther than normal. I even out drove the guys I got paired with today on most holes. In all it was a good day.

9 iron: I'm really liking the ball flight I'm getting. Like Hawk said it gets up in the air. Mine are not near as high as they were when he was hitting it but the ball flight was high enough for me.which helped me hold some greens today. I think this is an advantage of the grip helping you hold your lag.? (maybe) anyway im
strating to like the 9 more.

5 iron: I didn't have a good 5 iron day so take it for what it's worth. Today my 5 was probably two clubs shorter than ever before. I also hit a good bit of fat shots with it. I'm not blaming the grip but the rest of my clubs worked fairly well. I need to spend a little more time with it because I use that club a lot.

Overall feel of the grip today seemed a little rough to me. I have yet to clean them anymore than just a wipe down at the end of the round and they still look new. They seem to be very durable. Thanks!

Got a tough 18 coming up tomorrow and the Secret Grips need to perform for me tomorrow.

Pic of the residue I was talking about.
aefdd02a-c121-e8f3.jpg

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Here's just some pics of the grips installed on 9 iron,5 iron, and Driver
63c59b60-fadc-4288.jpg

63c59b60-fafa-e5a6.jpg
63c59b60-fb28-122e.jpg

8/12
18 holes at the home course
Cobra Amp w/ Secret Grip

Well, the stats won't really show it, but I had an ok day with the AMP/SG combo today. I hit 7/13 fairways, but two of those were shorter skyballs. Three of the missed fairways were right off and still in good spots. My bigger misses were pulls.

I actually went back out to the range yesterday after posting a few things on THP about my giant backswing. Basically worked on cutting that back swing down and getting to my left side on the down swing. Success was 50/50 with that today I guess, but the good swings were pretty dang good. Not sure what, if any, effect the grip had on my successes or struggles today.

At this point I'm considering popping the grip off and sticking it on an iron to see what happens. Might do that later today.

So the warm up is going awesome now using the secrets in reverse. I now do 2 or all 3 at once and it really get's my muscles loose. I almost like using them more than hitting balls for a warm up!!!

On another note, I let my opponent today swing one of them and I would guess they'll be on some or all of his clubs soon. It was love at first sight and he said he loved the added weight and it changed his feel enough to consider.

I went to the range yesterday after giving my toe time to heal up. I may sound like a broken record but I was really striking the ball very consistently and very well. I paid attention to my divots and was placing a tee in the ground beside the ball and my divots were consistently starting just past that point and when i was done I had formed one of those nice little tight divot patterns on the range that I see good golfers do. I could tell I was hitting the ball well just from that nice compressed sound I was getting out of them. I worked through the whole bag and didn't notice any problem clubs. I was really liking my distance and height control on my partial wedges as I was aiming at the 50 yard marker using all three of my wedges for different shots. As to driver, there is a green that sits just over 200 yards out on the range. I was aiming at the flag figuring if I missed it a little right or left then those would be in the fairway. My tee shots were very consistent and on target. Granted I was working on a couple of things that may have contributed to my overall success as they are things I constantly have to check or I fall in to bad habits -- extending my arms at address so that I don't get too claustrophic before swinging and also trying to feel like I'm stopping my backswing when my right arm/elbow is bent at 90 degrees so as not to have all hell break loose. I wish I could have played but I don't think my toe was ready for it as by the time I was done I had pain in my right leg, my left big toe (not the broken one) and my left leg from how I was favoring my left leg when I walked around the range. I also worked with all three wedges around the chipping green area and was very, very pleased with the results I saw. I still feel that the added weight just makes it easier for me to get the initial wrist hinge and then to hold it by dragging the butt end through. I will play Tuesday night and be back with an update at that time.

Last edited:
8/12
18 holes at the home course
Cobra Amp w/ Secret Grip

Well, the stats won't really show it, but I had an ok day with the AMP/SG combo today. I hit 7/13 fairways, but two of those were shorter skyballs. Three of the missed fairways were right off and still in good spots. My bigger misses were pulls.

I actually went back out to the range yesterday after posting a few things on THP about my giant backswing. Basically worked on cutting that back swing down and getting to my left side on the down swing. Success was 50/50 with that today I guess, but the good swings were pretty dang good. Not sure what, if any, effect the grip had on my successes or struggles today.

At this point I'm considering popping the grip off and sticking it on an iron to see what happens. Might do that later today.

Be careful and have someone who really cares about your clubs do the grip save. These grips DO NOT like to be pulled off once their on. I switched mine over from my 588 wedges to my ATV's and their were several small "fountains" of solvent popping out of various locations as the gentlemen tried pumping them off. He got em off and back on the ATV's alright but he said that they wouldn't have it in them to do it again.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I've been wanting to do a write up of my entire weekend with the Secret Grips but I've been stuck at the hospital with my buddy (new daddy to be) for quite a bit today. I'll get something up for y'all to ponder on tomorrow.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Be careful and have someone who really cares about your clubs do the grip save. These grips DO NOT like to be pulled off once their on. I switched mine over from my 588 wedges to my ATV's and their were several small "fountains" of solvent popping out of various locations as the gentlemen tried pumping them off. He got em off and back on the ATV's alright but he said that they wouldn't have it in them to do it again.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I just blew it on w/ the Pure gun, so it should be easy enough to switch out.

Sorry it's been dang near impossible to get on here long enough to do any sort of write up for the past few days. I've been busy as all get out with a new baby for a close friend, working late days to get ready for an exercise in Korea, and just tons of little randoms I've put off starting catch up.

Anyways, on to the Secret Grips. As some have said before it is tough after a while to continue a review of something many would consider an afterthought on their clubs. I know this isn't true for many who really care about their total game, but in the big picture of things once you find one that feels, looks, and grips well for you in all weather people are pretty much satisfied. To delve further into performance gains to be had through something as trivial to some as a grip would seem far fetched to many.

Another detriment to the process of testing is the very same thing that I find to be a beautiful characteristic of the Secret Grip. Once you have placed the Secret Grip on all of your clubs and go through the "adjustment period" they all but disappear. After a month of gaming the Secret Grip one of my biggest findings is that now, although it has definitely had a marked improvement on my ball striking, it is truly just another grip. To me at least. The weight is still there but now for me it's the norm and not the exception. I don't notice the heft in my clubs anymore and instead when I pick up a club to look at when perusing my local golf shop I constantly find myself thinking "this feels off". All I can say is that regular clubs without counterweighting now feel "whippy" or off kilter to me. I'm getting ready to call Blind 9 for a set of "a different method" of counter balancing weights to put in my i20's for a comparison between the SG method and the "other" method. Until those get here though my i20's just don't feel right when I swing them.

What I'm trying to get through to y'all here is that if you decide to pick up a set of Boccieri Golf Secret Grips and you give them time to settle into your game and decide that they are for you then they will become a part of your game moreso than a silly band aid to cover up swing flaws.

This is the curse of trying to review a product that, once you've grown accustomed to it, becomes melded so tightly into the feel of your clubs and the way you perceive every club should feel that it no longer is an item that you can notice any type of gains or improvements. The improvements you see from the get go, if you have any, become what you expect from your shots on a regular basis. It is the way you play your game, it becomes, as another manufacturer states in their marketing, "the way the game should feel". It is for me at least. Your mileage may vary.

I do apologize if that last paragraph sounded a bit like a marketing ploy as it's intentions we're not that at all. It was meant to be a statement as to what the grips have become for me and how they may match up to yours if the counterweighting and non-taper designs are for you. If you find that the Secret Grip is for you then most likely your problem will be the same. Going back to regular grips will become the tougher transition for you.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I'm getting ready to call Blind 9 for a set of "a different method" of counter balancing weights to put in my i20's for a comparison between the SG method and the "other" method. Until those get here though my i20's just don't feel right when I swing them.

Good call, I'm interested to see if the effect will be the same.

What I'm trying to get through to y'all here is that if you decide to pick up a set of Boccieri Golf Secret Grips and you give them time to settle into your game and decide that they are for you then they will become a part of your game moreso than a silly band aid to cover up swing flaws.

This is the curse of trying to review a product that, once you've grown accustomed to it, becomes melded so tightly into the feel of your clubs and the way you perceive every club should feel that it no longer is an item that you can notice any type of gains or improvements. The improvements you see from the get go, if you have any, become what you expect from your shots on a regular basis.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

And if you do, in fact, see some immediate and lasting improvement, almost regardless of the level of that improvement, then this can only be a good thing...probably the closest thing to a magic potion that you can hope for in golf.

I hit a handful of driver shots last night with the AMP/SG combo on the range last night.

Actually hit the ball decently with it, but a strong headwind and some swing work left me unsure what, if any, effect it was having on my ball flight. I either pushed it or hit a straight draw, which isn't ideal I guess. Still planning on putting the grip on an iron or wedge here soon. Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

I hit a handful of driver shots last night with the AMP/SG combo on the range last night.

Actually hit the ball decently with it, but a strong headwind and some swing work left me unsure what, if any, effect it was having on my ball flight. I either pushed it or hit a straight draw, which isn't ideal I guess. Still planning on putting the grip on an iron or wedge here soon. Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

Hawk, since you put the SG on the Amp have you swung your other driver? Just wondering if you've done any side by side comparisons between the 2 since you put the SG on the Amp. Thanks.

I haven't and feel like I need to, Stan. I think I'm going to put the Classic back in the bag for my round Sunday and I'll try to take both to the range the next time I'm out.

I haven't and feel like I need to, Stan. I think I'm going to put the Classic back in the bag for my round Sunday and I'll try to take both to the range the next time I'm out.

Awesome Hawk, thanks for the reply. I'll be real interested to see the results. Keep up the good work and thanks for the updates!

Will do! Thanks for the interest. It's one of those products that is difficult for me to decide if it's really working for me or not.

I would love a comparison but I feel like swinging them side by side could be weird because one will feel much heavier, not sure if the results will be beneficial or not

I would love a comparison but I feel like swinging them side by side could be weird because one will feel much heavier, not sure if the results will be beneficial or not

Yea, it's hard to tell. I was hitting a different driver against it yesterday and the AMP/SG was miles away the better one for me. I didn't really notice that much difference in weight to be honest.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit nervous going away from the SG just because I felt like I did pretty well off the tee while it was in the bag.

Yea, it's hard to tell. I was hitting a different driver against it yesterday and the AMP/SG was miles away the better one for me. I didn't really notice that much difference in weight to be honest.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit nervous going away from the SG just because I felt like I did pretty well off the tee while it was in the bag.

It's probably still pretty easy for you to transition since the AMP is the only club you put it on. I'm telling you though. If you were to game a full set for any length of time then going back to regular grips will make clubs feel a lot like your gaming a ladies set. Not in flex of course but just overall feeling of the club.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I can imagine it would, COLT.

I can imagine it would, COLT.

Yeah. But if the driver is all you need it for then that's great. And it's good that you don't have to drop 2 bills on grips!

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Probably pretty obvious that it's been a minute since my last update. Work is StUpId crazy right now and I've only played twice, but here we go for just a few tidbits.

I have come to the conclusion that I either can not hit a 3 iron, or it's so in my head now, that I just can't put the same swing on it I do with my other irons. This actually has me leaning more toward hybrids again. I was happy with the advance my ball striking made and thought I could swing a 3i and 4i, but the 3 is killing me. So, can the SG help you out if you don't have a swing? IMO, I don't think so. I think you probably have to have something going on in order for it to just further enhance what you've already got going for you.

I'll make this point, based on that last statement. I've always, always been better at hitting anything 6i - Wedge. The SG is on my 7i and I can absolutely smoke the thing without even thinking about what grip is on the club. I also think it's helped me with my other irons in this part of my bag in that I'm killing everything now and probably 1/2 club longer than I was. I played 9 last night and had 173 to a back pin. This used to be a 5 or 6 for me based on wind/elevation. In this instance, it would have been a 5 but I figured I'd been hitting the shorter clubs longer so why not a 6?
I hit the thing (NOT-SG gripped) dead to the number I needed and about 12ft right (lipped the birdie, though). I have also notice I've been hitting my wedges a few yards further. I have one that was literally built to go 100 on a full swing. I easily popped one to about 115 last night with the same wedge.

I don't know, maybe it's just the evolution of my short game. Maybe it's the grip. I just don't know, but I do know I wasn't hitting as far or with a tad more accuracy until the SG appeared on my 7 iron. Too much to be coincidence?

I still have either a nice, straight or a 10-15 yard draw on my 3W. I can "usually" make it draw if I want it to, as it fits many of my home courses tee shots well, or I can just swing away; sometimes those go straight, sometimes draw. But I have not sliced a ball since putting SG on this club (Diablo Edge). Not one.

My only question: WHY can't I hit the dagnabbed 3 iron?

Back