first set of clubs for my 13 year old...

WTDoc

Reaction score
Handicap
Folks,

I took my 13 yr old for his first lesson at my club. He has a set of junior clubs, but the pro said that he should be using regular clubs given his size--he is just over 5ft tall and growing. Anyway, any recommendations on a set that is good, but wont break the bank?

Mike

Folks,

I took my 13 yr old for his first lesson at my club. He has a set of junior clubs, but the pro said that he should be using regular clubs given his size--he is just over 5ft tall and growing. Anyway, any recommendations on a set that is good, but wont break the bank?

Mike
I would look for used club that is maybe 2-3 years old...that sure won't break the bank.

Check out EBay. What kind of budget are you working with?

2-300 or so. I see that there are clubs made for teens, but the pro recommended adult steel shafted cavity back. I'm just concerned about the size, specifically with the driver and 3/5 woods being way too long

You are looking for a complete set I take it?

In that case, you might even try looking on Craigslist. I see people offing some pretty decent gear there quite a bit in my area.

Adams makes some nice full sets. As for length, you can always adjust that after purchasing if needed.

Go to your local golf store and look at some used sets. You can find some great deals that way.

Check sites like global golf for used. You can put him a set of top line used clubs for the price mentioned.

Kevin

I would hardily suggest these http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/sets/idea_teen.php Pretty much in your price range and designed specifically for teens. My daughter just started too and she is short (4'11") she needs the shorter clubs but has more power than a younger girl, so we got the Boy's set. She's doing great with them. After clicking on the link, you can view the specs etc. If you are interested in them, then go do a search to see who may be selling a set used because their teen has moved up to a more advanced set. They did not break the bank new though.

Good luck with it! It's great when the kids express an interest in something we love so much!

J.

I bought my son a set of Adams A7os when he was 13 and they have worked great for him. Real easy to hit and learn with plus they were under $250.

Golden Bear always good for the pre teens kids my nephew loves his and you can get them pretty fair for a complete set Good Luck!

I had an older set of King Cobras that i took to my little golf shop and he was able to cut them down to size for my son .He's 12 and about 5'6 pretty big for his age and he hits them great . The club maker suggested i do this instead of a cheaper Jr. set , now he is hitting a "real" golf clubs.

I am 13 and I use blades, but if he's beginning get him a cavity back definitely, look about Ebay and you'll find some deals. Good luck to him!

2-300 or so. I see that there are clubs made for teens, but the pro recommended adult steel shafted cavity back. I'm just concerned about the size, specifically with the driver and 3/5 woods being way too long

In that case, look at either ladies or seniors used clubs. That way you don't end up with something that is way too stiff and much too ill fitting for him.

Go to the golf store and let him hit some used clubs and if you like the price of what he is hitting you both win. I think it's important to have him part of the process and they are going to be his.

Back