Private Course Dues

I think that the definition of "private course" is different in Silicon Valley compared to the rest of the country. Some of these $$ amounts you guys are talking about are what you'd pay to get an annual pass at a muni or regular public course around here.

Over the past few days I've checked ~10 different private clubs in the Bay Area. The LOWEST initiation fee was $75,000. The LOWEST monthly dues was $800. 3/4 of these were equity memberships so the "fee" could fluctuate given the economy or any number of other factors.

I don't know if the defenition is that different. Maybe just exclusivity, local cost of living/economy or the services offered. My club is private and it's not expensive. If it was, they probably wouldn't have members.

I think that the definition of "private course" is different in Silicon Valley compared to the rest of the country. Some of these $$ amounts you guys are talking about are what you'd pay to get an annual pass at a muni or regular public course around here.

Over the past few days I've checked ~10 different private clubs in the Bay Area. The LOWEST initiation fee was $75,000. The LOWEST monthly dues was $800. 3/4 of these were equity memberships so the "fee" could fluctuate given the economy or any number of other factors.

Not so sure it's a different definition, just different demographic.

I work part time at a fully private course. Initation fees are $9000, year dues are $4000.

Sent from my HTC One X

I don't know if the defenition is that different. Maybe just exclusivity, local cost of living/economy or the services offered. My club is private and it's not expensive. If it was, they probably wouldn't have members.

That certainly makes sense. There's a lot of $$ in this area, regardless of the state of the economy.

We have clubs that are in the higher realm as well, but there are only so many people that can make that work.

We have clubs that are in the higher realm as well, but there are only so many people that can make that work.

The problem out here is that there are too many people that can make that work. Hence the ridiculous fees.

I will say though - these huge fees translate into some pretty damn nice courses and when you get a chance to play them it's like being in a little slice of golf heaven.

Grant, I thought I'd let you know one of the annoyances I have had with my club that is related to events and my inability to truly play when I want to.

The days that are typically mine to play golf are Monday and Wednesday afternoons and Sunday mornings. That's just the way Erica and I have it arranged.

3/4 Mondays in August had an outing that kept me from playing.
1 Wednesday had member event (that I can't afford to enter).
2/4 Sundays had an event that caused me to either find another place to play or change my normal schedule.

I'm annoyed with it to be honest and can't wait to get it off my payroll. Great course, but it's not really what I thought it would be.

I'm annoyed with it to be honest and can't wait to get it off my payroll. Great course, but it's not really what I thought it would be.

I know your family situation is going to be different next year. But would you join that place again if you could swing it?

I don't think so. I don't have the time to really take advantage of all the social things and events. I just wanted a place I could golf at when I wanted to golf and it hasn't really been the case as often as I would have liked.

Los Altos Country Club near here is $200,000 to join and $950 a month in dues. Welcome to Silicon Valley.

I played this course yesterday as the guest of a member. I 'get it' now. I see where the money goes. What an amazing course. I wanted to get a sleeping bag and sleep on the fairways. Absolutely gorgeous all around. The place only has about 400 members so since we played at 3pm, we pretty much had the entire course to ourselves, which is pretty standard for these exclusive clubs. Just under 4 hours for a foursome to play 18 and we took our time.

At the end of the first hole is the house where the founder of Intel lives on a little hill above the green.

If I was a member at this course I would be there nearly every moment that I was awake and not at work. I can't imagine how awesome that would be. Maybe some day..... Gonna be tough to play the standard 5+ hour 18 holes at a public course this weekend.

Grant, I thought I'd let you know one of the annoyances I have had with my club that is related to events and my inability to truly play when I want to.

The days that are typically mine to play golf are Monday and Wednesday afternoons and Sunday mornings. That's just the way Erica and I have it arranged.

2/4 Sundays had an event that caused me to either find another place to play or change my normal schedule.

Thanks dude. I went back and played that private course again yesterday. It is just plush and seems to empty compared to public courses I play around here. I still don't think I can comfortable swing it each month. I think I will have to wait till my kids are older and I have more time to get to the course to make it worth while. I feel about the same as you do about yours now.

I probably wouldn't be annoyed as much if 1) I'm trying to fgure out where to play today and 2) I just transferred $250 so I could pay the place I can't play at.

I completely understand where you are coming from, however from the viewpoint of the club outside events bring in thousands of dollars for the club. When I worked at a private country club a lot of our members would complain about having outside events because it kept them from playing. One thing my boss always told me was that no matter what happens there is always going to be someone that is upset with something. Either the management of the club is going to be upset because they lost out on the event money, or the member is going to be upset because he was not able to play. With the club I worked at, our Director of Golf was essentially in charge of how many outside events would be held and when those events would take place.

Sorry for rambling, I guess what I wanted to get across is that unless you belong to a really exclusive club that most likely costs a ton of money to be a member at, there will most likely always be outside events that will interupt your playing time. Most clubs just need that extra revenue to survive.

I completely understand where you are coming from, however from the viewpoint of the club outside events bring in thousands of dollars for the club. When I worked at a private country club a lot of our members would complain about having outside events because it kept them from playing. One thing my boss always told me was that no matter what happens there is always going to be someone that is upset with something. Either the management of the club is going to be upset because they lost out on the event money, or the member is going to be upset because he was not able to play. With the club I worked at, our Director of Golf was essentially in charge of how many outside events would be held and when those events would take place.

Sorry for rambling, I guess what I wanted to get across is that unless you belong to a really exclusive club that most likely costs a ton of money to be a member at, there will most likely always be outside events that will interupt your playing time. Most clubs just need that extra revenue to survive.

Yea, I understand the reasoning behind it. I just didn't really consider it before joining and wish I would have. I just had this idea that I'd want to play and drive there and tee off, which happens most of the time, but not as often as I initially thought it would.

I can still remember standing on the first tee one day wondering why these four guys were driving up from 18 and giving me the stink eye. Never thought to check a calendar to make sure there wasn't an outing so I could play at my private club.

Yea, I understand the reasoning behind it. I just didn't really consider it before joining and wish I would have. I just had this idea that I'd want to play and drive there and tee off, which happens most of the time, but not as often as I initially thought it would.

I can still remember standing on the first tee one day wondering why these four guys were driving up from 18 and giving me the stink eye. Never thought to check a calendar to make sure there wasn't an outing so I could play at my private club.

Yeah it does seem backwards doesn't it. One thing I would think about doing if you look for a different club, try to talk with the director of golf/events and get an idea of when they usually hold events and so forth.

That's what I figure. If I do this again I know the questions to ask at least.

I have been pricing this out too with Grant. I pretty much have come to the conclusion that I could: 1) get a new car or 2) Join a private course.

I think I am going to choose the car.

I have been pricing this out too with Grant. I pretty much have come to the conclusion that I could: 1) get a new car or 2) Join a private course.

I think I am going to choose the car.

Then you'll look good when you arrive at the private course. :)

Back