Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Got to league with about 10 minutes to spare. Took the 3w straight to the range and hit about 15 balls. I thought the shaft might be a bit much but I was quite impressed with the results I was seeing. Just blasting the ball.

If I hadn't been hitting my driver so well off the tee, this would have been used more, but the driver was treating me quite well.

Did have a few shots during the round, and yes TC, one was off the deck. Hole #1 a par 5 (my 4th hole), had a good drive and had 253 to the pin. I hit the black and hit it well, a nice cut on the ball and it was absolutely crushed. Ended up about 10 yards short of the green. I was impressed.

Playing a few rounds this weekend, I definitely plan on using this one off the tee a bit.

Got the sole dirty already! Sounds like pretty good results straight out the gates bro. Nice work.

How was the height?

How was the height?

I was seeing a nice Mid-high ball flight. Interesting that I was hitting this one higher than my F3.

Awesome War,

Glad this thing is working for you so far. Figured with the driver success it would be money for you

I was seeing a nice Mid-high ball flight. Interesting that I was hitting this one higher than my F3.

Well color me shocked. Sounds like a winner for sure.

Awesome War,

Glad this thing is working for you so far. Figured with the driver success it would be money for you
Yeah, and I just really prefer the smaller face on the Black 3W. While the success translated from driver to 3w, I have two COMPLETELY different shafts in the two.

I expected this to flight higher than the F3. Mine does. But it's wicked long too. War, you're like me in that you're a natural born fader of the ball. How was your lateral movement?

I expected this to flight higher than the F3. Mine does. But it's wicked long too. War, you're like me in that you're a natural born fader of the ball. How was your lateral movement?

Having hit Danny's a good bit, I knew what I was going to see out of it for the most part.

Off the tee, I was hitting them with a slight fade to the them, a lot of that has to do with how I set up on my shots to play it though. On the range I was able to hit it straight if I needed to, but I like playing the fade to take the left side of the course out of play for the most part.

The big difference for me comes when I hit it off the deck. I play a big fade with this, and aim accordingly.

And yeah, it is wicked long, and I love the setup of this to the F5. Nice progression and gaping

I agree. Great natural progression. Mine has a slight cut to it as well, but it's a reliable and dependable cut. Oh man, just wait til you get more and more comfortable with it bro. Game changer. I've had days where I swear I hit this sucker almost as far as my driver.

I agree. Great natural progression. Mine has a slight cut to it as well, but it's a reliable and dependable cut. Oh man, just wait til you get more and more comfortable with it bro. Game changer. I've had days where I swear I hit this sucker almost as far as my driver.

The one I hit off the deck yesterday on the par 5 left me a hit impressed. I was over 250 yards out, and I was left just 10 yards short of the green.

I'm not a long hitter at all, but that shot absolutely was bombed.

This is sweet. Sounds like it was meant to be.
And you're bombing it off the deck...you're a beast!

Guys, I'm using the driver and with a SS of about 92 the stiff shaft is pretty much perfect. Does the same apply to the 3 wood? Figure an 85-88 SS with a wood. That would normally be a reg flex , but with the black should a stiff be a better fit?

Dos Solitary, I think it'd be near perfect for you. Some say the shaft in the 3 wood plays closer to true stiff than the driver shaft does, it's been a long time since I've tried the stock 3 wood, but I trust their findings. I feel pretty confident you'd see great success with it.

So tried out the 3W in stiff today and yes indeed it is very very long and very very forgiving. Over 200 with a wood is usually pretty hard for me to achieve, but my first three shots with this all settled in around 205-215. That is not longer than the CG Black driver I am using (230-240)- but it's almost equal to other drivers I have used, including the Classic.

Easy swings give phenomenal results. Aggressive swings do not. Pretty much the same as the driver. Fortunately my swing is pretty easy.

Not sure I would use this off the deck, but on courses with very narrow par4's or par 3s at 200 yards and up- or if I am just not working the driver well- this would be a pretty solid addition. No question it is a better club than the FTiz. I like it. I just need to find one around here at a decent price.

So tried out the 3W in stiff today and yes indeed it is very very long and very very forgiving. Over 200 with a wood is usually pretty hard for me to achieve, but my first three shots with this all settled in around 205-215. That is not longer than the CG Black driver I am using (230-240)- but it's almost equal to other drivers I have used, including the Classic.

Easy swings give phenomenal results. Aggressive swings do not. Pretty much the same as the driver. Fortunately my swing is pretty easy.

Not sure I would use this off the deck, but on courses with very narrow par4's or par 3s at 200 yards and up- or if I am just not working the driver well- this would be a pretty solid addition. No question it is a better club than the FTiz. I like it. I just need to find one around here at a decent price.

Those are great results buddy. I am glad you are crushing it. I love this 3W, and it has made the F3 a thing of the past in my bag.

Two Solitudes, any undates on the 3-wood and would you maybe look at the 5 and 7 woods?

Well sadly I must say me and the Black 3 wood are at an impasse. Despite my loving affection it has become a hooker. Not just whimsical social hooker, but a full fledged "cover the kids eyes" hooker. My miss has really never been left, maybe a touch of a pull if anything but not left of left. Yesterday I had perfect scenarios to go at two par 5's, both ended in disaster. I wasn't over swinging the club or anything like that, just a normal swing from a great lie, one hit a house and the other went for a dip to cool off. Last weekend it was more of the same, specifically off the tee. Left, left, and LEFT!

Anyhow, it's not the clubs fault because it's been so solid for me the whole time, just venting/grasping for straws.

Dang dude I hate when clubs turn into full on hooka's. That happened to my F5 and it never came back.

Dang dude I hate when clubs turn into full on hooka's. That happened to my F5 and it never came back.

25406138.jpg

Man I never get angry at a club, but this one almost went across my knee yesterday.

25406138.jpg

Man I never get angry at a club, but this one almost went across my knee yesterday.

HAHA, been there dude. I seriously thought about sending one of mine swimming this once.

HAHA, been there dude. I seriously thought about sending one of mine swimming this once.

I still maintain a floating golf club will be the most forgiving.

"Get a little angry over that last snap hook? Toss your club in the lake? If you had a floating club featuring no sink technology you could retrieve it with your old man ball grabber and swing again."

Now in white.

I still maintain a floating golf club will be the most forgiving.

"Get a little angry over that last snap hook? Toss your club in the lake? If you had a floating club featuring no sink technology you could retrieve it with your old man ball grabber and swing again."

Now in white.

New floating grip technology! I like it.

Better put a patent on it.

I think I'll go knock the pass out of this club this afternoon and see if I can't get it worked out.

Better put a patent on it.

I think I'll go knock the pass out of this club this afternoon and see if I can't get it worked out.

Maybe we can get Frank in here if he's done watching the WV game yet.

Back