New Grips for Cleveland Classic (and Mashie)

robn311

Reaction score
If there is already a thread for this, I apologize; I searched a bit but didn't find one. I've read so many different things online, I wanted to get some info from you guys since there is a lot of Classic/Mashie love around here.

I want to get my Classic re-gripped, but I'm confused regarding my options since they use the 36g Lamkin Superlite grips. I don't really like the stock grips, but I don't want to get something that will throw off the weight and thus performance of the clubs. I know Winn makes some lighter grips, but I read that those won't work because of the butt diameter of the C.Kua shaft (I have the stock 43S).

Does anyone have any insights about what options will work without totally changing the feel of the club? Also, do the same issues apply to the Mashie (as I understand it, the diameter of the stock 59S is smaller than the 43 and so isn't really a problem)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Good thread. I too don't like the stock grip.

I was thinking about the women's Dri tac's for them if I change them. They are slimmer and lighter so they may work.

How much would a standard velvet change the SW? One point? Two for something like a NDMC?

The Winn lite works just fine. I've got several on my C. Kua shafts. They take a but of elbow grease to get on, but they do fit.

The Winn lite works just fine. I've got several on my C. Kua shafts. They take a but of elbow grease to get on, but they do fit.

Just curious, did you notice a difference in feel/weight/performance? The Dri Tac Lite grips are 12-14 grams lighter than the stock one.

Just curious, did you notice a difference in feel/weight/performance? The Dri Tac Lite grips are 12-14 grams lighter than the stock one.

I don't have the dri tac as the only one that's lightweight is the wrap version. I have the original lite in firm, they're currently $1.99 at most golf stores . Put one on the black driver I had for the testing and didn't notice a bit of difference, the stock grip was a golf pride 25 gram (same weight). I did swap the Mashies out, I like the tacky feel of the Winn. No real difference in numbers but I do hit them better because I'm not squeezing the grip.

I did see a difference though when I swapped the grips on my irons, little more height due to the lightweight.

I put a regular grip on a mashie and it was very thick.

True Frank. When I put the Winn on my mashies I had a wtfrank moment thinking I had bought mid-size grips by mistake.

Contact Cleveland Golf at 800-999-6263. Ensure you tell them which model of the Classic Driver you have and which shaft is installed.

For the stock shafts, the 270, 290, and 310 all have different weight grips. The corresponding weights are 25, 36, and 46 grams. The 290 and 310 grips are made by Lamkin, while the 25 gram 270 grip is from Golf Pride.

The C.Kua shaft that is stock in the 290 has the (oversize) .650 butt, however butt size of other Miyazaki shafts do vary and this is also true with all the other shaft manufacturers. Most butt sizes range between .600 and .620 but obviously the C. Kua is an exception which is why there is a problems regripping that shaft. If may be able to get another type of grip on the shaft, but a standard grip will now be a midsize grip.

Keep in mind also that if you go with a heavier grip than the stock 36 gram grip on the C.Kua shaft, (say 52 grams), you will DECREASE the swingweight of the 290 significantly, (3 full swingwieghts), so the D4 stock swingweight of the 290 would become a D1.

Last edited:
I would try an undersized grip they are usually in that 40 gram weight so swing weight won't be changed.

I would try an undersized grip they are usually in that 40 gram weight so swing weight won't be changed.

Unless the grip you are referring to is a .650 core size, good luck just getting it on the Classic 290 C.Kua shaft.

Note: The smaller the core size of the grip, the thicker the grip will be once installed on the butt of the shaft. (A .580 core grip for instance will be thicker installed than a .600 core grip).

Last edited:
I've never had any issues regripping my mashies. I never worried too much about the grip weight. Never felt much difference in the weight of the club.

10 grams is too hard to feel. If you can tell, you should be working for the bureau of weights and measures.

I threw a Lamkin Rel 3gen on my SL290, just at the time it was the only grip I had around the house. I like the feel of it, I just find it to feel a bit large on the SL290. Was searching for a lighter-weight grip, or something more in line with the stock grip, but gave up the search. I found the original grip was really rough on my hands.

On my Mashie, I finally threw a New Decade Multi-Compound on it. Its never felt better. I ended up putting it back on to get with a grip I was comfortable with again.

So many Classic 290 Drivers have been sold with the C.Kua shaft that there will soon be a huge demand for the Lamkion Superlite .650 size 36 gram replacement grips.

Unfortunately NOBODY currently has these grips available. The grips are not even shown on the Lamkin website.

Currently the only way to obtain one is to have your local golf shop contact Cleveland Golf and order one. (Cleveland will not sell directly to the consumer and will not even quote a price to the consumer for this grip)

I guess the best advice then is not to wait until your grip is slick and virtually unplayable before contacting your local Golf Shop and asking them to place an order through Clevleand . Obviously this means there will be some lead time involved to get the proper replacement grip. Golf Shops will be unlikely stock a grip like this since it used only on one particular club. Consequently, this grip may always be a "special order situation".

One more reason to consider reshafting I guess...

Last edited:
Don't worry so much about grip weight. I've owned and used (and currently bag) several of the cleveland ultralite series. I have re-gripped all of them with "normal" grips and the feel is not thrown off at all.

I'm using a Winn Dri-Tac Lite Midsize on my Classic as well as my Black that has a (non-limited) C. Kua. Like SW said, you have to work it a little to get it on, but it is just fine once it's installed. Be careful with this particular grip as the sidewalls were a little flimsier than some others I've installed. I stuck with the lighter grip on the driver, but on my Mashie FWs, I just went NDMC midsize. They were easy once you get them started. Just don't stop pushing them on until they're on all the way.

I went with the wrap style for the Classic because I thought it matched the looks, but any of the Winn Lite stuff will work. I had the Hero on my original CGB shaft. That was a pretty cool looking grip. Probably wouldn't match the Classic too well though.

Has anyone contacted Lamkin? I see that Golf Pride does the 25g grip for these shafts has anyone tried the 25g tour don't know if it's the same thing but I'm sure Cleveland or one of the grip providers can get you what you need.

Back